• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many people on 153s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
there is a shortage of carriages throughout the rail network, he says, and the government allocating a £1.4billion train builders contract to Germany, not the Bombardier works at Derby, will not help the situation.

what's the Thameslink order got to do with the Cumbrian Coast line and carriage shortages in general?

Hydro

Established Member
Derby - Crewe, Vaseline handed out at the door, squeeze in where necessary. Not in any good sense either.

back in 2001 i caught the 1518 Skegness - Birmingham service as far as Grantham, it was booked a 156. 153334 turned up instead, every seat taken standing in every place possible and passengers for stations between Wainfleet and Boston were asked to get taxis at Central Trains expense so the holiday makers travelling to Grantham and Nottingham for connections could travel, as back in them days the trains to Grantham were only every 2 hours, the 153 must have left with approx 120ish people on board plus the refreshment trolley and another 20 - 25 left behind to travel in taxis.

another time a Single 153 on the 1716 Leeds to Goole service, driver and conductor couldnt get on and doors wouldnt close, service was cancelled.

mallard

Established Member
A while ago I was on an evening peak service from Leicester to Nottingham formed of a single 153 due to a failure earlier in the day.

I boarded at Leicester so did get a seat, but it was full and standing all the way to Loughborough when I had to more-or-less fight my way off. Looking back, I suppose I should have waited the 20 minutes or so for the next Meridian and let some else have the seat!

Established Member
About 120% of seating and standing capacity on a York - Leeds commuter train where the 142 failed and the only thing that turned up was a 153. Luckily I got on at York so had a seat.

Desiro360

I can't remember when the exact date but it was in the days of ONE Railway back in I think was 2004. We caught the 09:16 Ipswich - Cambridge service which was formed of a single Class 153.

It was well filled upon leaving Ipswich and it was so full after Stowmarket that my Dad decided to get off at Bury St Edmunds. After alighting from the train as we were thankfully standing by the door we saw the 153 depart with I think 100 or more people crammed into it.

We waited an hour for the next train which was to my relief a Class 150 which had plenty of seats available.

junglejames

Established Member
what's the Thameslink order got to do with the Cumbrian Coast line and carriage shortages in general?

He doesnt claim it has anything to do with the Cumbrian Coast. It is the network as a whole he is thinking of at this stage.
However, has this guy been misquoted, because what he says is so stupid it borders on idiocy.

So if you build trains in Germany, it doesnt help with overcrowding? Why not? Is there something about German trains which means you cant carry passengers on them? Does he think the trains will be so bad that the original trains will still have to be used by Thameslink? Is it illegal to travel on German trains now??
This part of the statement is so bad, im sure he must have been misquoted.

NSEFAN

Established Member
If anything, trains from Germany should be able to carry MORE people, as they have the benefit of a bigger loading gauge. ;)

I've been on a single 153 from on a Penzance-Plymouth service. Boarded at Truro and got off at St Austell. There were already problems with the unit, as it was running late and accelerated as if it were powered by a flymo!

Edit: This was running instead of a 2 car 150, during the height of summer!

Last edited:

Buttsy

Established Member
Lincoln station one Saturday early 2000s following an away game there. Birmingham train pulls in, 153, already quite full. another 50-60 people get on, most OUFC fans heading for Birmingham, including myself. Must have been about 30 standing from Lincoln and a few more got on at Newark. I decamped at Nottingham as I knew there was a Birmingham via Derby a few mins later that got in before the 153 going via Leicester.

dk1

Veteran Member
Happens often in East Anglia when they're substituted for a 156 or 170. Great Yarmouth services on Mondays & Fridays can be very interesting. Since 80 passengers where left behind 3 weeks ago you will now find a road coach on standby there & at Norwich 09.00-1600 on both these days of the week.

Another example is the 17.45 Plymouth-Exeter SD. Should the 17.23 Leeds be caped i dread to think what it would be like. On a normal service day it can be full & standing & when i last used it the guard allowed 6 bikes on board at Ivybridge even though only 4 of the 10 onboard alighted there!!

Status
Not open for further replies.