• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How might car registration plates be numbered after the year 2100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Off topic, but that would actually be after March 2051, the two digit year identifier changes twice per year so covers 50 years from the first use of this format in September 2001.
Although there is already a plan for this - The format will go from XXnn XXX to XXX nnXX for the years 2051-2101. I’m talking more about what will happen after then, if we will even have cars and registration plates that far into the future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bussnapperwm

Established Member
How about xxnnxxyy (so two letters, 2 check numbers, two letters then year ID)

lyndhurst25

Established Member
No reason why they can't reuse the number series from 2001 if they wanted to, just not reissuing any registration marks that duplicate any of the few 100 year old vehicles still on the road. It will be obvious by looking whether a car is from 2001 or 2101, with the presence hover engines being the main giveaway.

mmh

Established Member
Just swap the parts, like they used to. A non-problem

edwin_m

Veteran Member
No reason why they can't reuse the number series from 2001 if they wanted to, just not reissuing any registration marks that duplicate any of the few 100 year old vehicles still on the road. It will be obvious by looking whether a car is from 2001 or 2101, with the presence hover engines being the main giveaway.
There might not be that many 100-year-old vehicles but there could be more 100-year-old registrations, kept on a "cherished" basis much as you see them today that are obviously decades older than the vehicle they are attached to.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I'd suggest that if its decided not to start again with 01, we starting to reverse when it is placed (01AA AAA)

Or start with letters but that only gives you 26 years (if you split 1-5 to be first half and 6-0 second half)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'd suggest that if its decided not to start again with 01, we starting to reverse when it is placed (01AA AAA)

Or start with letters but that only gives you 26 years (if you split 1-5 to be first half and 6-0 second half)
I think they’d just reverse it to AAA 01 AA. They probably wouldn’t want a group of 5 letters in a row.

AFAICS there’s an obvious precedent in the way the 1964 system was simply reversed, in 1983.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
the year is the year 3000 and delays are still ongoing on the M25 with journey times of up to 40 years through the Dartford Crossing

Factotum

I think they’d just reverse it to AAA 01 AA. They probably wouldn’t want a group of 5 letters in a row.

AFAICS there’s an obvious precedent in the way the 1964 system was simply reversed, in 1983.
Why do you need year identifiers on the licence plate. We managed without them up until the early sixties and many other countries, most notably the USA do not use them.

plugwash

Established Member
No reason why they can't reuse the number series from 2001 if they wanted to, just not reissuing any registration marks that duplicate any of the few 100 year old vehicles still on the road. It will be obvious by looking whether a car is from 2001 or 2101,
The rules since number plates started incorporating dates have been you can put an older plate on a newer vehicle, but not a newer plate on an older vehicle. So unless those rules change it would be perfectly legal to put a 2001 plate on a 2091 vehicle, which may not be so obviously different from a 2101 vehicle.

Of course whether having the number plate be a way to show off the newness of a vehicle is a desirable trait or not is debatable.

Sm5

Cars might be RFID tagged or equivalent, self driving with onboard and road side sensors.
Registration plates probably wont be required, just scanned.

etr221

That's what's due to happen in 2050...

Wondering if mark OOOOOOO (or do I mean 0000000) will be issued then...

mmh

Established Member
Why do you need year identifiers on the licence plate. We managed without them up until the early sixties and many other countries, most notably the USA do not use them.
The motor trade would be very unhappy, and very vocal, if it were proposed to scrap them.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I don't know what number plates will look like in 80 years (I may not even be alive in 80 years), so I'll reform the current system.

It'll consist of;
[2 letter region/service code, 2 digit year, 4 random letters]
Barcode somewhere here for ANPR no. of month

Region codes:
London: LD
South East: SE
South West: SW
EoEngland: EE
West Midlands: WM
East Midlands: EM
North West: NW
Yorks & Humber: YH
North East: NE
Scotland: SC
Wales: CY
N Ireland: NI
Q plate: QQ
Import: OS

Service codes:
Police: PC
Fire: FB
Ambulance*: AM
Coastguard**: CG
Mountain Rescue: MU
Recovery: RR
Governmental: HG
Royal Mail: RM
Railway: BR
Highways: HW
Diplomat: ZZ
Miltary-***
Army: AR
Air Force: AF
Navy: RN

*Includes first responder, air ambulance and patient transport vehicles
**Includes RNLI vehicles
***Emergency service vehicles will use their respective designation, but use military style plate.

I decided to use a 4 letter permutation as it gives 456,976 different combinations for all 28 of the region/service codes (which gives a total of 12,795,328 different registrations per year). If all 456,976 combinations are used for a region or service, the final random letter can be replaced by any number between 1 and 9 in sequence (ZZZZ would go to AAA1, AAA2 etc., allowing for even more registrations). So a registration from today in the North West would look similar to this:
1638233166678.png

Once we reach a new century, the code will repeat as per present. However, I would plan to introduce a new classic car law, meaning any car over the age of 35 would be classified as a classic and be required to use the current black and silver plate.

Diplodicus

Just let people choose any random selection of alphanumeric characters excluding 'I' and 'O'. My sleazy EX bro-in-law in Aus drove his male menopausal Toyota penis extention with a numberplate SEKSY. Yeucchhh.

PTR 444

Established Member
I don't know what number plates will look like in 80 years (I may not even be alive in 80 years), so I'll reform the current system.

It'll consist of;
[2 letter region/service code, 2 digit year, 4 random letters]
Barcode somewhere here for ANPR no. of month

Region codes:
London: LD
South East: SE
South West: SW
EoEngland: EE
West Midlands: WM
East Midlands: EM
North West: NW
Yorks & Humber: YH
North East: NE
Scotland: SC
Wales: CY
N Ireland: NI
Q plate: QQ
Import: OS

Service codes:
Police: PC
Fire: FB
Ambulance*: AM
Coastguard**: CG
Mountain Rescue: MU
Recovery: RR
Governmental: HG
Royal Mail: RM
Railway: BR
Highways: HW
Diplomat: ZZ
Miltary-***
Army: AR
Air Force: AF
Navy: RN

*Includes first responder, air ambulance and patient transport vehicles
**Includes RNLI vehicles
***Emergency service vehicles will use their respective designation, but use military style plate.

I decided to use a 4 letter permutation as it gives 456,976 different combinations for all 28 of the region/service codes (which gives a total of 12,795,328 different registrations per year). If all 456,976 combinations are used for a region or service, the final random letter can be replaced by any number between 1 and 9 in sequence (ZZZZ would go to AAA1, AAA2 etc., allowing for even more registrations). So a registration from today in the North West would look similar to this:
View attachment 106322

Once we reach a new century, the code will repeat as per present. However, I would plan to introduce a new classic car law, meaning any car over the age of 35 would be classified as a classic and be required to use the current black and silver plate.
Your system would be unworkable as there would be fewer registrations available with only one letter combination allowed for each region. Personally I would keep the current region identifiers but allocate each sub-identifier to a specific locality rather than anywhere in the region. For example, HA-HY can currently be allocated to any vehicle registered in Hampshire and Dorset but I would change it so that HA is for Andover, HB for Bournemouth, HC for Christchurch, HD for Dorchester etc.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Why do we need region identitifiers at all? In the past it would have been because records were manual and it was impractical to co-ordinate them between different plaes, so to take a random example I assume somewhere in Oldham there was a file with the vehicles with BU registrations. These days it can all be on a central database and those with appropriate permissions could log in and reserve as many plates as they needed.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Your system would be unworkable as there would be fewer registrations available with only one letter combination allowed for each region. Personally I would keep the current region identifiers but allocate each sub-identifier to a specific locality rather than anywhere in the region. For example, HA-HY can currently be allocated to any vehicle registered in Hampshire and Dorset but I would change it so that HA is for Andover, HB for Bournemouth, HC for Christchurch, HD for Dorchester etc.
If you want to know where it was specifically registered, look at the log book. My system runs from January to December, instead of the current system which runs from March to February (for some reason). It also introduces a better classic car system than at present, which doesn't include cars like the Audi Quattro and the Ferrari F40, despite them clearly being classics.

Status
Not open for further replies.