• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much for a pendolino?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_moo

Hi guys and gals,

Does anyone know how much a pendolino costs?
More specifically, does anyone the cost of pendolino that was written off in the grayrigg crash?

I'm doing a lecture on S&C, and am using the failure of the Grayrigg S&C as an example of what can happen when it goes wrong. I just wondered what the financial cost was.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geezertronic

Established Member
I tried searching to see if there was any info relating to the Pendolino lengthening project (which includes 4 new sets) but there does not appear to be any costs listed anywhere :(

Drsatan

Established Member
From http://www.lococarriage.org.uk/virgin_trains.htm
and written by Dennis Lovett - Acting Director of Corporate Affairs, Virgin Trains ( at that time)

Presumably these new centre cars will be powered. The unusually low price of £1 million per coach (given their advanced construction method) suggests that they may be unpowered. If that's the case then journey times will suffer.

MCR247

Established Member
Presumably these new centre cars will be powered. The unusually low price of £1 million per coach (given their advanced construction method) suggests that they may be unpowered. If that's the case then journey times will suffer.

This is old, when the pendolinos were 8 car and they have since been lengthened to 9car which is what that report is talking about

Pumbaa

Established Member

And yes, as MCR247 later says, these extra cars were all unpowered (coach E) in Pendo sets.

Fincra5

Established Member
Well it wouldnt suprise me at the cost. I think 1 377 car is £1m

Status
Not open for further replies.