• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much Luggage do you Take for a 2 Night Trip?

How much luggage do you take for one person for a 2 nights trip by public transport

• No more than the contents of your pockets (Jack Reacher)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Up to a small bag/backpack (20L - the size of a free carry on bag for Ryanair: 40*25*20cm)

Votes: 62 72.9%
  • Up to a carry on bag/backpack/suitcase (45L - 55*40*20cm)

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Up to a bigger bag/backpack/suitcase, or a carry on bag and a smaller one

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • More than that

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

bspahh

Established Member
How much luggage do you take if you were going to be away from home for 2 nights trip by public transport?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
No need to go ballistic, travel light but take the essentials. Nothing more than 40x25x20 needed for sure.

TheTallOne

Usually twice as much as I need.

Like I’d pack four t-shirts (which means I could have a change of clothes in the evening as well as each morning) etc etc.

NSE

Established Member
I do pride myself on taking as little as possible. But, knowing the thread that triggered this one, I’m not wearing three pairs of pants there and then three dirty ones back. I like saving money where I can, but I try and do my bit for the environment and don’t like the idea of buying clothes when I arrive on every holiday just to throw them away to save luggage charges.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Depends on how long I'm gonna be away from home for. The last time I was away from home for more than 2 days travelling by public transport (3 days staying with a close friend in the East Midlands in November 2022), I packed a fresh change of clothes for 3 days in my backpack, plus another for the long journey back home. Everything else (hairdryer, toiletries etc) went into the suitcase.

philjo

Established Member
Depends on the purpose of the trip and time of year. If going on a walking trip I would take my large suitcase plus large rucksack. Packing Walking boots, waterproofs and thicker base layers/ fleeces for 3 days walking in winter weather would fill the case.

zero

I have carried a small backpack for 3-4 day trips all over Europe (majority by air but some by train). It fits a laptop, 2-3 sets of clothes, personal grooming items, small electronics i.e. chargers, water bottle and a small amount of food.

For 6-7 day trips (which I have done as far as New Zealand) I have managed with two backpacks, one of which has wheels, without checking anything in.

When I got a laptop that could be charged with the same charger as my phone that actually saved a lot of space.

brad465

Established Member
For cycling events involving a 2 night stay: loads of kit that includes a bike and typically double clothing volume (cycling kit + casual kit). For other trips usually one/two modest bags is enough.

The Ham

Established Member
It depends, typically I'll have only my 35l backpack. How full that is depends on if I'm carrying my work stuff too and what the weather is doing (cool/slightly damp I'll be wearing my coat but hot and it'll be in my backpack).

It also depends on where I'm going (to visit family a towel isn't needed) and what I'm doing (again that could mean more stuff to take).

bspahh

Established Member
I normally use a 20 or 25L bag for 2-3 night work trips I'll have underwear and socks for each day, up to 3 spare Rohan short sleeve shirts (XL), a fleece, showerproof jacket and a pair of swimming shorts, which I could wear if my trousers got wet and needed to dry out. The shirts are easy to hand wash and don't need ironing. They dry overnight if you roll them in a towel.

I have toiletries in a clear plastic pencil case which is more durable than ziplock bags.

I will usually have 3-4kg of laptop and associated clutter. I need a range of USB C and mini USB leads. From eBay I have 10cm long USB cables and folding reading glasses.

For a 10 day trip to Canada, I took a 45L cabin bag, with a few more clothes, an Aeropress coffee plunger, tea bags etc.

I like having a bag which is light enough to carry without dragging it around with annoying wheels.

Colin Chapman of Lotus Cars used to say "Add lightness and simplicate".

jon81uk

Depends on the purpose of the trip and the weather and stuff.
If going to be outdoors and wet/muddy then will need more clothes than just spending time inside with family. Likewise going out for dinner might need a change of clothes. But generally two nights worth should fit into either a backpack, holdall or cabin size case depending how the above factors change whats needed. Changes of shoes/boots/trainers take up a lot of space as do warm layers.

nlogax

Established Member
Depends on the agenda (and whether it's a work or personal trip), time of year and if there's an iron at the destination. For personal trips at this time of the year a Nike holdall or a carry-on case works fine but when it's warmer a backpack is fine.

My battered Samsonite carry-on gets me around the world for anything up to seven days. I try to avoid checking anything in at all costs.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Depends where I’m staying. If a hotel then I probably won’t pack soap/towels as they are provided,if a B&B or a friends house I do. Clothes,two of each and enough underwear for each day.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
small backpack - nothing else needed. I have done over a week with a small backpack. People carry far to much stuff that they don't need to.

Ediswan

Established Member
I once did a two night trip by air with just a hard shell attache case. Top part was paperwork, bottom was clothing etc. Mobile phones and laptops were yet to be commonplace. I must have looked slightly suspicious. On the return trip, the case was swabbed at check in. A key factor is footwear. Anything more than one pair of shoes gets bulky.

ABB125

Established Member
Depends on what I'm doing.
For example, a weekend walking in a National Park as part of a group, I'll generally have a "sports bag" type duffel bag for "long term storage" (ie: everything lives in there, with stuff being removed as required), plus a small hiking rucksack (something like 35L) for everything I need when out (which is basically just food and drink), so i actually have quite a bit of spare space. For a weekend I would take a set of "normal clothes", set of outdoor clothes with spare shirt. The space killer is food (need to bring everything for the weekend), sleeping bag, roll mat, coat, walking boots and towel (primarily to use as a pillow, but also gives the option of a shower).
Next weekend I'm doing Birmingham to London to Fort William (sleeper) to Birmingham. I'd happily do that (a day and a half) with just the contents of my pockets if necessary, but I will be bringing a laptop and DSLR so a rucksack it is.
Depending on the length and planned activities, I'll do an Interrail trip with either a duffel back and smaller rucksack, or a large hiking rucksack

Essan

If I'm away for 2 nights, chances are I'd still be needing a sleeping bag, tent, food, stove etc ..... So basically the same as if I'm away for 10 days. A 58l rucksack.

Even if just visiting friends or staying in a hotel, I'd still probably use the same rucksack for convenience - especially if needing a complete change of clothes and taking a laptop, camera, book to read, food for journey etc