• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How or why did you develop an interest in railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I think I developed an interest in railways as a kid, simply because I did not travel by train very often. It seemed much more exciting than by bus or car. As got a little older and could go to places without my parents, I was only aloud to use the bus. One day going for a trip to Dartford, I veered into Bexleyheath Station, rather than taking the boring 96 bus. I was quite surprised the fare was not too expensive. This was my first trip on a train alone, I lapped it up, and still enjoy train trips today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Jumby 74

You’ve hit the nail on the head there GB47711. Train travel was a much more immersive experience years ago than it is now. The sights, smells and sounds we experienced then were much greater than nowadays where sitting in a train is something of a cocooned and sanitised experience.
Couldn't agree more. One of my more memorable runs was on Good Friday 5th April '85. Was met at Euston by the sight of 85007 at the head of my train to Warrington, which was a bonus, and upon my return later that day (from Wigan) had planned to catch a regular service train, but just before it was due, a relief service was announced. It was either one stop only (Crewe) or fast to Euston, can't be sure now, but it made my day when 85036 came in to view with a train of Mk1's (comparatively rare by then on WC Main line trains I believe) and up front it was as good as empty, so had a compo to myself for the duration.

The sound of the AL's on the blocks at Euston will always stand out. It was often the same on Willesden depot to which I was a frequent (with permission) visitor.

I was rarely hauled by electrics during the 80s, living down south, but did see them at Stafford on multiple occasions in the mid-80s during trips up there
For a time I was a regular to Stafford on the 0650 (SO) out of Euston. There use to be a nice old pub, left out of Stafford station and just a short walk away, even had a lock in or two there, in the days of 3pm closing time. All gone now though! The 0650 (SO) was an 86 turn, would have preferred an 87, but beggars can't be choosers. If only in today's world....:(

pitdiver

My interest began as a child when I lived across the road from the East Coast Mainline in New Southgate. My father would take, on summer evenings over the wooden bridge that existed many years ago, wait for typically an A4, Take in the fumes then we would carry on to the other side of the tracks and stand in what we called the "Line Path" that was at track level and watch the trains go by until it was dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.