• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to become a crane operator (Rail)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian3mith

I am 19 years old, i am new to the industry. i have my PTS TIC and two hand tools tickets. I am thinking of going down the BIG machine operating road :p also i was thinking to have an other specialize as a track welder. Anyone with information please leave a message below... Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I am 19 years old, i am new to the industry. i have my PTS TIC and two hand tools tickets. I am thinking of going down the BIG machine operating road :p also i was thinking to have an other specialize as a track welder. Anyone with information please leave a message below... Thanks!

You're best off trying infrastructure companies such as Balfour, Bam Nuttal, Stobart Rail et al.

DB Schenker occasionally advertise for breakdown train operators (they have a few really big re-railing cranes)

Clip

Established Member
Contacting each company would be the best bet - if they dont have any vacancies on their website.

Would you possibly need a driving license also for road/rail vehicle?

ian3mith

Contacting each company would be the best bet - if they dont have any vacancies on their website.

Would you possibly need a driving license also for road/rail vehicle?

I have a full uk licence 2 years been driving.

Boodiggy

They are yow very different jobs - a machine operator and a welder. Both require a lot of training. I work on the pway so work with both road rail machines and welders regularly. Where I work we use Ready Power or Quattro machines but you will find different areas use machines from different suppliers. Welding requires a lot of training and reassessments. There are different types of welding techniques the welding teams are trained in as well. They not only know welding of rails to join them but also arc weld repairs on cast crossings and switches as well as removing lipping etc. Good luck whatever you decide to do although doing both will not be easy.

saracen

A machine or crane controller is essentially a COSS for on track plant.

As every work group needs a COSS, every on track crane or RoadRailer requires a crane controller. You're the eyes and ears of the operator, control the moves and also determine what is and what is not acceptable for the crane to move.

To get into such a role, you would need several competencies. You will need a PTS, a Track Induction, be a Controller of Site Safety and then go through the Crane/Machine Controller course. This is NOT an entry level job that you can go straight into, nor will any of the big Rail Construction companies (Network Rail, Balfour Beatty, Amey Colas etc) recruit off the streets for such roles.

Your best opportunity to get into the positions that you enquire about is to get sponsored by a contractor such as McGinley, SkyBlue, Vital, Cleshsar to name a few, prove yourself on track then ask to attain the further training.

ian3mith

A machine or crane controller is essentially a COSS for on track plant.

As every work group needs a COSS, every on track crane or RoadRailer requires a crane controller. You're the eyes and ears of the operator, control the moves and also determine what is and what is not acceptable for the crane to move.

To get into such a role, you would need several competencies. You will need a PTS, a Track Induction, be a Controller of Site Safety and then go through the Crane/Machine Controller course. This is NOT an entry level job that you can go straight into, nor will any of the big Rail Construction companies (Network Rail, Balfour Beatty, Amey Colas etc) recruit off the streets for such roles.

Your best opportunity to get into the positions that you enquire about is to get sponsored by a contractor such as McGinley, SkyBlue, Vital, Cleshsar to name a few, prove yourself on track then ask to attain the further training.

At the atm i am with Vital part of the Morson Group, so having a sponsor is sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.