• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to buy tickets Myrdal to Flam

jupiter

I'm off on a jaunt to do the Flam railway next week and am struggling to find somewhere to buy tickets/make a reservation for the down service. I'll be returning to Bergen by ferry.

On a related note I see over 67 years receive a 50% discount in train tickets but haven't found a website either where I can buy these discounted tickets from Bergen to Myrdal. Do I have to wait until I'm there and but them at the ticket office? Clearly concerned about full trains as all three bits of the day-trip, Bergen-Myrdal, Myrdal-Flam and Flam-Bergen (ferry) need to be available.

Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I think you want Flåm Utvikling, which seems to be found in English on .flaamsbana.no , which may lead you to .norwaysbest.com . I think that they may also offer whole round trips, but these are pricey, even by Norwegian prices.

jupiter

Thank you. They haven't made this too easy. Norwaysbest seems to give round trip prices only, not one way. Maybe this is all you can get :(

I seem to be going round in circles like the train!

Can anyone confirm whether it's possible to buy a Myrdal-Flam one way, and if so can it be bought at Bergen station in the morning, if the train isn't full?

D1024

You can book one way Bergen to Flam on www.vy.no/en and select Senior Citizen too. Next Tuesday for example: depart Bergen 0831 arrive Myrdal 1036, depart Myrdal 1041 arrive Flam 1139. NOK634 one way including senior discount.

Veteran Member
You can book one way Bergen to Flam on www.vy.no/en and select Senior Citizen too. Next Tuesday for example: depart Bergen 0831 arrive Myrdal 1036, depart Myrdal 1041 arrive Flam 1139. NOK634 one way including senior discount.
The discount only applies for the main line bit, and IIRC it's on a regional train so no reservation.
You book the ferry online.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Just read a long report in a printed magazine-in dutch, of the dutch ROVER= travel association of publ trsp users, on a long NOrway trip, incl this famous line-in main high season summer ´23 and the couple just bought the tix (discount for InterRail pass holders) from the tourist office in Flam just before the ride itself. Flam was described as an utter tourist-only trap, but the views from the trainride are beautiful indeed.
In general senior citizens (from 67!) in NO enjoy half price travel on most trsp, and even discounts for some items like cf etc. on the way- but then I guess this line is simply not considered to be normal transit.

Gloster

Established Member
One thing that might be worth doing is to find out if there are any cruise ships around on the day you want to travel: these fill up the trains on the days they are there. Also see if you can time your trip to avoid the main tourist boat/train timings.

jupiter

Thanks for the replies. One of the problems is that I’m planning to only do the line one-way from the top starting at Myrdal and I have no idea if there are ticket purchasing facilities there, or if they can be bought on the train.

One thing that might be worth doing is to find out if there are any cruise ships around on the day you want to travel: these fill up the trains on the days they are there. Also see if you can time your trip to avoid the main tourist boat/train timings.
Ah, brilliant idea thank you. I have just discovered a large cruise ship arrives and departs on one of my possible days, May 2nd, so I can avoid that.

Gloster

Established Member
A check on Banenor’s site suggests that Flåm has a ticket office, quite possibly actually Flåm Utvikling’s office, open 07.00-19.00 daily, but Myrdal has nothing.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member

Established Member
For Vy, use their site and select senior citizen:

www.vy.no/en

Will also book Myrdal-Flam, NOK510, no discount. Ouch.
£49... In fairness the one time I've been on this overpriced tourist trap it was horrid, 20 years ago with hundreds of irritating tourists climbing over you, holding cameras up to and out of the window not even looking at the scenery.

For a third the price, Ive also rented a mountain bike at Myrdal station a few times and wheeeeee cycled down the hill took roughly 2 hours (or 3 with a picnic & pint) and dropped it off at Flåm, then Norled's daily boat to Bergen (5½ hours), cafe & bar on board, stunning views.

jupiter

£49... In fairness the one time I've been on this overpriced tourist trap it was horrid, 20 years ago with hundreds of irritating tourists climbing over you, holding cameras up to and out of the window not even looking at the scenery.

That’s a bit harsh. I’m sure even a non rail enthusiast would agree it’s an epic achievement to build the line and a great experience to ride it. I thoroughly enjoyed it but I did take the precaution suggested above to check the cruise ships arriving at Flam, and miss them.