• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to get proof of non-use of an Interrail pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
I have a non-refundable (bought during the 15% off promotion last November) Interrail pass that unfortunately I'm not able to use, for medical reasons. In order to make an insurance claim, I need a "cancellation invoice", which I assume is a document which states that the pass has been cancelled. However, because my pass is non-refundable, there doesn't appear to be a mechanism to obtain anything like this. It appears that if you no longer want to travel, you simply don't go; there is nothing you need to (or can) do regarding the pass. This is not ideal when making an insurance claim!
Yesterday, I used the Interrail chatbot function to send a message to their customer service team; however, I'm not sure that it's worked because I still haven't received a confirmation email, which should arrive within 30 minutes.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ABB125

Established Member

AdamWW

Established Member
I have a non-refundable (bought during the 15% off promotion last November) Interrail pass that unfortunately I'm not able to use, for medical reasons. In order to make an insurance claim, I need a "cancellation invoice", which I assume is a document which states that the pass has been cancelled. However, because my pass is non-refundable, there doesn't appear to be a mechanism to obtain anything like this. It appears that if you no longer want to travel, you simply don't go; there is nothing you need to (or can) do regarding the pass. This is not ideal when making an insurance claim!
Yesterday, I used the Interrail chatbot function to send a message to their customer service team; however, I'm not sure that it's worked because I still haven't received a confirmation email, which should arrive within 30 minutes.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed?
Thanks

Has the validity period already passed?

If not, maybe the insurance company could be persuaded that if you send them the pass they have all the evidence they need that it won't be used.

ABB125

Established Member
Has the validity period already passed?

If not, maybe the insurance company could be persuaded that if you send them the pass they have all the evidence they need that it won't be used.
The last activation date is 1st May, as one of the terms of the promotion. I assume this means that I could travel until 15th May if I wanted to. And in any case, it's a mobile pass so I can't really send them anything!

To add to the fun(?), I apparently need to supply a "booking invoice" for my return journey. I had a few reservations booked for the first outward leg of the journey, but hadn't got around to booking anything for the final journey back to the UK. Methinks that the insurers (or rather their outsourced claims handlers) don't understand how Interrail passes work... I suspect I'm not going to enjoy this process!

AdamWW

Established Member
The last activation date is 1st May, as one of the terms of the promotion. I assume this means that I could travel until 15th May if I wanted to. And in any case, it's a mobile pass so I can't really send them anything!

To add to the fun(?), I apparently need to supply a "booking invoice" for my return journey. I had a few reservations booked for the first outward leg of the journey, but hadn't got around to booking anything for the final journey back to the UK. Methinks that the insurers (or rather their outsourced claims handlers) don't understand how Interrail passes work... I suspect I'm not going to enjoy this process!

Ah apologies. I thought you had said it was a paper one but that was clearly in my imagination.

Yes I'm sure they have no experience with Interrail passes. I wish you luck in educating them!

The exile

Established Member
Ah apologies. I thought you had said it was a paper one but that was clearly in my imagination.

Yes I'm sure they have no experience with Interrail passes. I wish you luck in educating them!
Yet another reason for avoiding mobile tickets etc. Anything that companies are so keen to persuade us to use must have a catch somewhere!

ABB125

Established Member
Yet another reason for avoiding mobile tickets etc. Anything that companies are so keen to persuade us to use must have a catch somewhere!
That is a point, though to be fair I think "needing to provide proof of non-use to an insurer for a medical claim" is a fairly niche reason and probably not at the top of the priority list for anyone concerned!

Thanks; if I do get anywhere I'll mention it on here.
isn’t it 11 months
It is for a normal pass, but this was a promotional pass bought late last November, part of the promotion was that the pass must be activated before 1 May

Status
Not open for further replies.