• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to scan e-ticket when traveling in group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsa

Hi
I will be traveling with my family members ( in total 4 adults) to Reading. I normally use trainline to book tickets and always prefer e-ticket option. Can I just scan once and we all 4 can go or does each one of us need to scan separately?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
All four tickets should be scanned.

Best way to do gates is to stand at the scanner with your phone, successively scan your three accompanying passengers through first, then scan for yourself.

On the train, you should just allow the ticket inspector to scan each ticket in turn.

Skie

Just beware that sometimes (at stations like Manchester Victoria which seems to have lots of rent-a-mob types) repeatedly scanning your phone and letting people through will raise the hackles of someone who thinks you're doing something dodgy. Can be safer to head to a staff member manning the barrier and explaining the situation first. Most will let you do it on the accessible gate with their supervision.

bob007

Just beware that sometimes (at stations like Manchester Victoria which seems to have lots of rent-a-mob types) repeatedly scanning your phone and letting people through will raise the hackles of someone who thinks you're doing something dodgy. Can be safer to head to a staff member manning the barrier and explaining the situation first. Most will let you do it on the accessible gate with their supervision.
I know you’re offering practical advice but it also sounds like not standing up to a bully.

To offer a contrasting opinion: don’t be afraid of them, let their hackles be raised, it’s their problem. The travellers would be be doing something perfectly reasonable and legal. If confronted just explain the situation.

I’m sick of Northern’s behaviour

If your companions are phone savvy just make sure everyone has their own unique ticket screenshot on their phone. Makes proceedings much easier for you and staff.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Because they're too thick to realise that the same one won't scan multiple times?

L401CJF

Established Member
Wow, I didn't realise that would even be an issue, something I see hundreds of times a day - how poor! Really wish TOCs would do away with the rent a thugs (eyes on Merseyrail and Northern) and bring in real staff with some actual training. Thats for another topic however!

Skie

I know you’re offering practical advice but it also sounds like not standing up to a bully.

To offer a contrasting opinion: don’t be afraid of them, let their hackles be raised, it’s their problem. The travellers would be be doing something perfectly reasonable and legal. If confronted just explain the situation.

I’m sick of Northern’s behaviour
Yeah that’s a fair point. I’m more willing to be grumpy right back to people like that as I know how the systems work and my rights, but op probably doesn’t have that.

Sadly the bullies at outfits like these places can get you into a world of bother if you say the wrong thing that sounds like you’re admitting to fare evasion, which can happen with people unfamiliar with things. It’s not right.

Because they're too thick to realise that the same one won't scan multiple times?
The gates work on magic, didn't you know?
Wow, I didn't realise that would even be an issue, something I see hundreds of times a day - how poor! Really wish TOCs would do away with the rent a thugs (eyes on Merseyrail and Northern) and bring in real staff with some actual training. Thats for another topic however!
Yep, have experienced it at Victoria when I had the gf’s ticket on my phone. Someone came marching over shouting and they claimed we should have waved someone over after looking at the e-tickets. Shrugged and walked off.

Also at Euston with a small group which was below the 25+ threshold for notifying them upon arrival. I happily quoted that to the berk, much to the amusement of the train manager looking on.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Hi
I will be traveling with my family members ( in total 4 adults) to Reading. I normally use trainline to book tickets and always prefer e-ticket option. Can I just scan once and we all 4 can go or does each one of us need to scan separately?
Thanks
Just a reminder that booking direct with your chosen train company will avoid Trainline's booking fees.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah that’s a fair point. I’m more willing to be grumpy right back to people like that as I know how the systems work and my rights, but op probably doesn’t have that.

Sadly the bullies at outfits like these places can get you into a world of bother if you say the wrong thing that sounds like you’re admitting to fare evasion, which can happen with people unfamiliar with things. It’s not right.
The behaviour of some barrier staff is not right, you are quite correct, but I would exercise caution when dealing with such people.

Being a bit "off" with staff (including agency staff) and asserting your rights, can result in false allegations and if police/security end up being called, they tend to take the side of staff, even when the staff are incorrect and unreasonable.

Just a reminder that booking direct with your chosen train company will avoid Trainline's booking fees.
Or using the forum's site will also avoid booking fees; we might even be able to find a cheaper combination of tickets than the through fare offered by the company! (If we do, the majority of the saving is passed on to the customer). If selecting e-tickets, each customer gets one PDF containing all the ticket(s)/coupon(s) for their journey.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Not to defend their booking fees, but to be fair to them, if you are buying etickets for travel on the day then there are no booking fees in that scenario.
Yes you can still just use a different app / website, but I will say their integration of the railcard stuff is a lot better than having to deal with one app for your railcard and one app for your ticket.

bob007

If the thugs are that bad how can we in good conscience advocate traveling by rail at all? This is madness.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This would be what I would do personally

If one doesn't scan properly I'd be no more surprised to find an incompetent rentathug to have an issue with a screenshot than one person scanning multiple e-tickets, to be honest. So just do whichever works better for you, which for a group of adults is probably screenshots but for a family or youth/school group is probably one person doing it.

Skie

Actually if you’re booking for multiple people the platform should allow you to specify an email address for each traveller so they receive an e-ticket each. Our corporate platform does, so for non-group travel* we don’t have that bother. Not sure how other platforms handle it, but it should be possible to do.

*group tickets are a specific pain in the backside, sometimes being one ticket for everyone and sometimes being individually allocated.

arsa

Hi all, I just booked 4 tickets from trainline and have received 4 separate tickets so we all can easily scan. Previously I was under the impression that only 1 ticket is received for 4 persons

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hi all, I just booked 4 tickets from trainline and have received 4 separate tickets so we all can easily scan. Previously I was under the impression that only 1 ticket is received for 4 persons

You will always get one ticket (barcode) per passenger, in some cases this is one PDF, so sharing screenshots of each page of it is a workaround.

Because PKPASS doesn't support multiple pages, another option is for each person to download their own Apple Wallet pass.

Skie

You will always get one ticket (barcode) per passenger
*sometimes

I’ve had some single tickets/pdfs with eye watering face values with groups. Somewhat terrifying carting those around!

But glad that the OP has been spared the pain of it!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
*sometimes

I’ve had some single tickets/pdfs with eye watering face values with groups. Somewhat terrifying carting those around!

But glad that the OP has been spared the pain of it!

Sorry, should have said "you will always get one ticket (barcode) per passenger when purchasing via one of the regular sites". If you do a proper group booking you may indeed get only one "piece", I've had those before, though obviously a group like that has to be let through gatelines manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.