• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to use a Northern Smartcard at a station with no reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Northern seems happy to sell me a Flexi-season (8 in 28) on a Smartcard from my local station to Manchester, which will work well with a flexible 2 days/week working in Manchester.

However - my station does not have a reader/validator. Am I expected to validate in/out at the solo ticket machine, which is inconveniently placed for the return trip?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Or you can use the mobile app, assuming your smartphone has NFC.

Am I expected to validate in/out at the solo ticket machine, which is inconveniently placed for the return trip?
As long as you validate your day of travel on the outwards, you don't need to tap in to make your return trip.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Northern seems happy to sell me a Flexi-season (8 in 28) on a Smartcard from my local station to Manchester, which will work well with a flexible 2 days/week working in Manchester.

However - my station does not have a reader/validator. Am I expected to validate in/out at the solo ticket machine, which is inconveniently placed for the return trip?
Yes. The alternative is to activate a day's validity using the National Rail Smartcard Manager app (or another app with that functionality).

Either way, you only have to do this once, to activate a day's validity before you get on your first train of the day. You don't need to touch in or out after that.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Thanks - looks like I can validate the card for the day using the NR app, then not bother to tap out again at the end of the day. Or maybe use the ticket machine to tap in on the way out, and skip the return tap-out, as my ticket will be valid on the route.

I don't want to rely on my phone for the tickets as we see so many issues here of phone failure and less than forgiving RPIs. Having said that - there's also been issues with Smartcards.......

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Looking at Northern's website, it's not clear that you can tap in to validate a flexi-season at a TVM. They specifically refer to platform validators.
Which does beg the question, of why they would sell a Smartcard ticket for use at a station where it cannot be validated.

Looks like I'll TOFTT in October and find out.

I've downloaded the Validator App recommended by @Watershed as a backstop.

cool110

Looking at Northern's website, it's not clear that you can tap in to validate a flexi-season at a TVM. They specifically refer to platform validators.
NRE does however say that they can be activated "in some cases" at a TVM. I would guess that would be enabled at stations without barriers or stand-alone validators.

Haywain

Veteran Member
NRE does however say that they can be activated "in some cases" at a TVM. I would guess that would be enabled at stations without barriers or stand-alone validators.
I wouldn’t be guessing anything of the sort. NRE saying something doesn’t indicate that it applies to any particular part of the rail network.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Well, this is going to be an interesting conversation with Northern staff in October!

mikeg

Established Member
If you activate the pass using the NRE app I cannot see you having any problems.
But of course many people dont have an NFC enabled smartphone, nor have they been informed of this issue.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
If you activate the pass using the NRE app I cannot see you having any problems.

But of course many people dont have an NFC enabled smartphone, nor have they been informed of this issue.

To @mikeg's point - I'm going to play the part of a regular, naive, passenger without the benefit of this forum and my own knowledge. We'll see what the experience is and I'll update this thread when I start the commute in October.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I suspect Northern's official response to that would be "Buy it as an m-ticket (or is it an s-ticket?) through our app instead" (or something along those lines.)

I do, however, note that the FAQs on the website assume that every station is gated or has standalone validators, with no mention being made of the ability to use an app for activation of Smartcard Flexi Seasons.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Watch out for Penalty Fares if you don't activate it.

It's going to be an interesting ride and I'm prepared for a little fight if I'm not able to activate it through the published methods on the website and/or any instructions coming with the ticket and card.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It's going to be an interesting ride and I'm prepared for a little fight if I'm not able to activate it through the published methods on the website and/or any instructions coming with the ticket and card.
I find it difficult to understand why you wish to invite difficulties on yourself.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I find it difficult to understand why you wish to invite difficulties on yourself.
Because I'm more than capable of defending myself and by highlighting any issues I can prevent those less able to navigate the system from encountering unnecessary problems brought about by the less than competent Northern customer "experience".

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Because I'm more than capable of defending myself and by highlighting any issues I can prevent those less able to navigate the system from encountering unnecessary problems brought about by the less than competent Northern customer "experience".
I'm not sure on which basis you intend to defend yourself if you are told you need to activate your Flexi Season before travelling, and have the opportunity to buy a new ticket at the ticket machine if there are no validators and you don't want to use the app.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I'm not sure on which basis you intend to defend yourself if you are told you need to activate your Flexi Season before travelling, and have the opportunity to buy a new ticket at the ticket machine if there are no validators and you don't want to use the app.

We'll see when I go through the purchase process - what is asked and expected of the naive passenger. Maybe they have everything covered and properly explained. Maybe they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.