• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How usual is it for a ticket inspector to check tickets onboard when the train is stopped at a station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Currently onboard 377418 from Gatwick Airport to Hastings. Before the train approached Wivelsfield, a ticket inspector came and started to check tickets. Of course I had a valid ticket as always so no problem. However, my ticket was checked when the train had stopped (and after the doors had been released) in Wivelsfield. So my question is, how usual is it for a ticket inspector to check tickets onboard a train when the train is stopped at a station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Currently onboard 377418 from Gatwick Airport to Hastings. Before the train approached Wivelsfield, a ticket inspector came and started to check tickets. Of course I had a valid ticket as always so no problem. However, my ticket was checked when the train had stopped (and after the doors had been released) in Wivelsfield. So my question is, how usual is it for a ticket inspector to check tickets onboard a train when the train is stopped at a station?
I see nothing unusual in this. I've had tickets checked immediately after boarding trains, and before the doors have closed, many times. Why on earth should they stop checking?

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I see nothing unusual in this. I've had tickets checked immediately after boarding trains, and before the doors have closed, many times. Why on earth should they stop checking?

Please don't start getting aggressive at me. I am not, in any shape or form, saying that inspectors should stop checking when trains are stopped. I'm just saying that from my experience, checks tend to normally happen in between stations, but this was the first time I had seen a ticket check take place on a train when stopped at a station, and I say that as a very regular train traveller (like at least 2-3 times a week). If anything, the ticket inspector was a lovely, friendly and helpful person, plus checking when stopped imo can actually be a good idea to avoid fare evaders from boarding!

Last edited:

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Please don't start getting aggressive at me. I am not, in any shape or form, saying that inspectors should stop checking when trains are stopped. I'm just saying that from my experience, checks tend to normally happen in between stations, but this was the first time I had seen a ticket check take place on a train when stopped at a station, and I say that as a very regular train traveller (like at least 2-3 times a week). If anything, the ticket inspector was a lovely, friendly and helpful person!
Maybe the ticket checker didn't have any safety critical duties to perfom and therefore had no reason to stop checking tickets.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Maybe the ticket checker didn't have any safety critical duties to perfom and therefore had no reason to stop checking tickets.

That sounds about right, the inspector said to another person that she wasn't the OBS (On Board Supervisor).

Plus I believe all Southern trains are DOO? (driver only operated)

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
[Expanding on #4] Think of it another way: why, under normal circumstances, do ticket checks not take place during station stops? The answer is when the person doing the ticket checks is also involved with the dispatch process at stations, ie Train Manager, Conductor/Guard, OBS. But occasionally there can be an additional member of staff on the train tasked solely with checking tickets. Absolutely no reason why such a person should pause their duties during station stops unless continuing their checks causes an obstruction to passengers alighting or boarding.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
[Expanding on #4] Think of it another way: why, under normal circumstances, do ticket checks not take place during station stops? The answer is when the person doing the ticket checks is also involved with the dispatch process at stations, ie Train Manager, Conductor/Guard, OBS. But occasionally there can be an additional member of staff on the train tasked solely with checking tickets. Absolutely no reason why such a person should pause their duties during station stops unless continuing their checks causes an obstruction to passengers alighting or boarding.

As I said, the inspector wasn't an OBS, and checking when stopped is actually a good and sensible thing to do to prevent fare dodgers from boarding (think about the advantages - you the ticket inspector don't have to go through the burden of issuing penalty fares or reporting the evader for prosecution as the evader will have been prevented from boarding).

Haywain

Veteran Member
Please don't start getting aggressive at me. I am not, in any shape or form, saying that inspectors should stop checking when trains are stopped.
I'm sorry if you felt that my post was aggressive, but the implication in your post appeared to be that ticket checking should stop because the doors are released.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I'm sorry if you felt that my post was aggressive, but the implication in your post appeared to be that ticket checking should stop because the doors are released.

Well, in this case, you have my apologies. Should have been clearer. As I said, inspectors shouldn't stop checking when doors are released, I just said this has never happened to me before and that it was the first time such thing had happened. I reiterate, checking when doors are released is actually a good thing because you prevent fare dodgers from boarding!

May I also remind you I'm currently going through a stressful period with so many uni assignments to do, so I may sometimes be rude without any intent, sorry about that.

L401CJF

Established Member
Im a guard (safety critical) and have checked tickets before when stopped at a station. Only on the odd occasion when I've had a manager take my train to pass out a new guard, or if a trainer gets on with their group practicing dispatch meaning im free to do tickets with no doors to worry about.

There are a couple of guards I know of who like to open 1 door only a terminus station and check tickets before boarding if they have time. Not something I've done myself mind.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Mostly because they're guards and so are busy with the doors.

At a TOC with OBSs, or if it's RPIs, I guess there isn't the same constraint provided they've had a glance out for those requiring assistance already.

warwickshire

On Moderation
That sounds about right, the inspector said to another person that she wasn't the OBS (On Board Supervisor).

Plus I believe all Southern trains are DOO? (driver only operated)
313 services will become obs from May 2023.
However from May 2023.
1. Eastbourne to Hastings. Only
2. Uckfield to Oxted. Only. However Guard on at East Croydon/ London Bridge dependent.
3. Clapham Junction to Watford Junction Only.
However Guard pass from East Croydon
Only areas not doo. Back to topic However whilst in station on Southern does occur on services above especially number 1. I have witnessed over the years especially to deter fare evaders. Quite common on The Walton on the naze to Colchester services at Thorpe le spoken. Whilst train has 10 minutes dwell time there ie same issues with fare evasion etc.
Obviously on Southern at stations where known chancers or issues occur. Checking tickets of before departure is good to do. However other tocs have done this years ago. Even First North Western days back in the days of mid to late Nineties on late night early morning Blackpool to Manchester services when back in the days of those late night raves etc .

Haywain

Veteran Member
Mostly because they're guards and so are busy with the doors.
I know that, but ticket checking isn't always carried out by guards and a high proportion of trains in the south, at least, don't even have guards - in which case there is no reason to stop checking at that point.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Also, some guards like to continue ticket checks if there is some standing time at a station. I don't usually do it, but it there's a good 5 minutes or more then I certainly could

sk688

had a check just now on a GWR service between Bath Spa and Oldfield Park, before the train had even left Bath Spa !

Although this might have been an RPI, as when I got off I saw a different staff member at the front of the 4 carriage train working the doors, and I'd been in the rear set of a pair of 158s

Jim the Jim

I have occasionally been slightly worried that an onboard ticket check at a station I'm disembarking at might cause me to miss a connection or otherwise be delayed.

warwickshire

On Moderation
had a check just now on a GWR service between Bath Spa and Oldfield Park, before the train had even left Bath Spa !

Although this might have been an RPI, as when I got off I saw a different staff member at the front of the 4 carriage train working the doors, and I'd been in the rear set of a pair of 158s
Sometimes as well as Rpi it could even quite well be a Train Manager or Conductor grade ie booked to do revenue say for example when travelling on a service to make them a bit more productive rather than pass only. To a certain location say Revenue Westbury to Bristol, before working one back to Westbury.
Whilst the guard on the former is booked to work yet another separate service from Bristol.
However some tocs have Revenue assistant fare collectors so same stance applies.
Or it could be a Conductor or Train Manager on other duties for any other reason say on medication or other duties or maybe restricted until fully fit for work say for example after a medical procedure other reasons can be the case as well.

ChewChewTrain

The other month, I got on a Didcot Parkway-bound GWR stopper (DOO as usual) at Reading. The service had a dwell there (longer than usual) which was utilised by the two inspectors who got on with me and immediately started doing their thing.

Apparently, this was an old hand training a young lad (some of them look so young these days…), so it’s quite possible they chose that service precisely because of the extra time they’d have to get through the train.

Snow1964

Established Member
I had it at Cheltenham on a XC recently, which happened to be a ticket split point. Sat down opposite us and scanned both leg to Cheltenham and next leg for myself and my partner, whilst in the station.

It was the only inspection on 400 miles of trip, both start and finish stations have no barriers, and 6 of the 8 tickets each were never checked.

vinnym70

Of course, the obvious explanation is that when the doors are open, a distant call of 'tickets please' will potentially have those without tickets leave the train PDQ. And doing so in the reasonably safe expectation that the next train is now less likely to have a ticket check. Of course, depends on where you live and how the local TOC deploys their staff, whether stations have barriers, etc.

Locally to me, on-train checks are rarer now than pre-covid.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Of course, the obvious explanation is that when the doors are open, a distant call of 'tickets please' will potentially have those without tickets leave the train PDQ.
Seen that happen a few times in the past on the Manchester Metrolink.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was at Romsey on Sunday morning where the first train towards Southampton (via Eastleigh) had 5 minutes of dwell and saw the guard walking through to check tickets. Probably also to advise passengers if they want Southampton Central they would be better to alight and wait 5 minutes for the following service as that gets to Southampton quicker (due to going via Redbridge).

Plenty of times in Scotland in the Glasgow area, I have boarded and the TE has 'pounced' quickly, even before the train departs

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
We have a few intermediate stations that have up to five minutes dwell times. I will often perform a ticket check at these for new passengers. It's a lot easier to get the "one stop wonders" to pay when there's a chance that they'll get hoyed off before their journey has really begun. It's amazing how many passengers, grown adults too, that have to arrange for a family member to transfer money to them before being able to pay. By utilising that dwell time effectively I can ensure that there is time for them to pay.

Edsmith

I think they would probably stop checking at a busy station and move out of the way of people getting on and off but probably depends on location and circumstances.

scrapy

Established Member
I have occasionally been slightly worried that an onboard ticket check at a station I'm disembarking at might cause me to miss a connection or otherwise be delayed.
An onboard ticket check whilst stopped would only be of those who are remaining onboard. You do not need to wait onboard for your ticket to be checked. You should leave the service and head for your connection.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
An onboard ticket check whilst stopped would only be of those who are remaining onboard. You do not need to wait onboard for your ticket to be checked. You should leave the service and head for your connection.

Is this true? Wouldn't that potentially go against Bylaw 18.2 (requirement to produce a valid ticket if requested)?

spag23

On Moderation
If I'm stepping onto the platform (as required anyway, so as to not to overshoot my ticket validity), and the ticket inspector decides to allow himself to be transported away from me and my ticket, surely that's his problem!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Is this true? Wouldn't that potentially go against Bylaw 18.2 (requirement to produce a valid ticket if requested)?
If the doors are released and nobody has explicitly asked you for a ticket, no.

Even then, I'd be stepping onto the platform so as to not be overcarried.

In any event, staff either allow you to disembark or if they're the ones doing the doors, they'll finish up with whoever they're dealing with and unlock them afterwards. I've never known anyone insist everyone stays put til they've checked.

Krokodil

Established Member
If I get a few minutes dwell time, I use it as an opportunity to get through a few more. If I see a persistent evader or someone who is obviously trying to avoid me, I'll be asking for a ticket before I lock the doors, even if I lose the odd minute in doing so (not long enough that I'll get a please explain or passengers risk missing connections). At terminals then I'll often use a single door and check people as they board. They can't go "I'm just getting off at the next stop" if we haven't left yet, they'll be getting off now unless I see the colour of their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.