• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How would you divide up England by region?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Which is why England should be split into at least 3 pieces, being ‘North’, ‘South’ and ‘London’. London should be a separate Capital Territory akin to Canberra or Washington D.C. and certainly not part of the same England that has a border with Scotland 300 miles away. There may also be an argument for a Central/Midlands zone.

It is very unfortunate that while Scotland is lucky enough to have a Scottish Parliament with the ability to counteract a level of ignorance, mistreatment and underinvestment from London, the same can’t be said for large parts of the north of England, which would be much better off being run from Edinburgh than from London, especially the ones which are closer to it.

Plotting the perpendicular bisector of Edinburgh and London reveals that curiously, while Liverpool, Leeds and York are closer to Edinburgh than London, Manchester, Sheffield and Hull are closer to London than Edinburgh.

Three would be too big as well, with the north and south England dominating the rest. I think the approach the government will take is to devolve to the existing ceremonial counties, each with different levels of power so as to ‘divide & conquer’, with a total of 48 devolved English regions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
England is too big to be one unit. It would still be dominated by London anyway, regardless of whether a parliament is in
Birmingham or York, while a part of the purpose is to be giving decision making to a more local level.
Why would it be better to be "dominated" by Birmingham or York? As long as representation is proportionate for population, there is no problem.
Much of Wales and Scotland are remote from the South Valleys and Central Belt. No real issue there.

peteb

English Heritage has (or at least had) similar regional divisions as the Government Office, with anomalies like Carlisle Castle being North West, managed from Manchester, rather than managed from the much closer Newcastle office which was North East. And West Midlands covered Oswestry Hillfort and Longtown Castle both somewhat distant from the Birmingham office. So more east west subdivision seems called for to avoid lengthy north south journeys though of course that is where the main transport corridors run!

Gareth

Established Member
Yes, we loved English Heritage sticking the knife into any new project here in Liverpool on the grounds that it'd detract from the city's architectural heritage. From its office in Manchester, of course; a city whose development it was far less vocal about.

Clearly it felt Liverpool's "heritage" was more significant than Manchester's. Couldn't bring themselves to be based here though.

Established Member
English Heritage has (or at least had) similar regional divisions as the Government Office, with anomalies like Carlisle Castle being North West, managed from Manchester, rather than managed from the much closer Newcastle office which was North East. And West Midlands covered Oswestry Hillfort and Longtown Castle both somewhat distant from the Birmingham office. So more east west subdivision seems called for to avoid lengthy north south journeys though of course that is where the main transport corridors run!
Then why not devolve powers to an office in every settlement and run everywhere from the closest one. Having offices only in historic county towns creates the problem of Preston being run from Lancaster or Leeds being run from York, leaving the larger but less historic places with little to no control over their own affairs, but putting the offices in only larger towns and cities leaves smaller places with little to no control of their own affairs, regardless of their historical status.

A notable anomaly in the current system is that the former County Borough of Southport makes up the majority of the population of the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton and yet still has no control over its own affairs as a Victorian seaside town, having lost everything, including all annual council tax revenue, to Bootle, an unconnected area with no shared identity or even remotely similar priorities for council spending, leading each and every one of its actions to damage Southport, with next to nothing gained for Bootle. Despite there not being any basis for this arrangement, Southport not being geographically located anywhere near the Mersey estuary as some supporters of Merseyside and with the exception of Formby, being surrounded entirely by West Lancashire.

A similar fate has befallen many smaller towns, previously holding the status of Municipal Borough, which were absorbed in 1974 by their larger neighbours to form even larger Metropolitan Boroughs, which have concentrated spending in their core area, forcing the many smaller towns under their control into decline, however Southport did hold the status of County Borough, being one of less than 100 of the most prestigious towns in England to do so and is also by far the largest town in the current Metropolitan Borough.

In reality, the “North”, “South” and “London” subdivisions should be devoid of all responsibility for each other’s half of the country and each should be divided into boroughs based entirely on settlements of all sizes existing in their own right, without any being grouped together and with larger ones being given more autonomy than smaller ones, but there should also be a level of cooperation both between authorities of similar sizes and neighbouring authorities on all sides, rather than any specific area being allied to (or annexed by) somewhere in a specific direction.

People living on the borders of the current Metropolitan Boroughs face extortion when trying to travel only a very short distance into another county, for example from Newton-le-Willows, Merseyside to Ashton-in-Makerfield, Greater Manchester, a distance of only 3 miles and encounter ludicrous situations such as concessionary passes not being valid before 9:30, while other people are able to travel many miles further if their journey does not necessitate crossing such a boundary. The current system discriminates against people in the 21st century based on their requirements to cross a set of artificial lines drawn on a map in the 1970s to get to work and needs to be scrapped immediately.

Gareth

Established Member
Southport not being on the Mersey isn't that significant. "Merseyside" is just a name. It could easily have been SWLNWC. Southport's problem is not Merseyside but Sefton. The local government reforms of the 70s really did a number on middle-sized towns & cities by removing their municipal government and merging them into largely arbitrary districts which seemed neater to civil servants. A place like Southport should have a town council (with borough status) and then county government above it.

Established Member
Southport not being on the Mersey isn't that significant. "Merseyside" is just a name. It could easily have been SWLNWC. Southport's problem is not Merseyside but Sefton. The local government reforms of the 70s really did a number on middle-sized towns & cities by removing their municipal government and merging them into largely arbitrary districts which seemed neater to civil servants. A place like Southport should have a town council (with borough status) and then county government above it.
I must add that while Liverpool is one of the greatest cities in the world, I can’t understand any reason why Bootle would refuse to join the City of Liverpool, with which it shares much of its local culture and identity and instead attempt to leach off Southport. Sefton is one of the least effective councils in Britain because it’s dominated by infighting between Southport and Bootle, but it’s evident that in the last 47 years nothing has been gained in Bootle while much has been lost in Southport. I asked a man in Seaforth whether he agreed with this statement and he said that I failed to emphasise just how much worse every area in Sefton has become due to the inept council.

Conversely, the neighbouring areas of Liverpool and Knowsley have to be among the most effective councils in Britain for their hugely successful regeneration efforts including schemes such as the £1 houses and the new town centre in Kirkby. I would much rather be run from Liverpool than from Bootle for that reason alone. It’s interesting how the River Mersey is as much of a symbol of Liverpool as the Liver Bird but it actually served as the border between Lancashire and Cheshire as far as the border with Yorkshire. No one associates Liverpool with Lancashire.

The problem for Southport was that Sefton was created arbitrarily in an attempt to constitute a Metropolitan County of Merseyside, which includes areas such as Southport and Deeside which do not touch the Mersey while omitting areas such as Runcorn and Warrington which are the definition of Merseyside and overspill areas with shared cultural values such as Ormskirk and Skelmersdale. Warrington has been successful in its attempts to remain the neutral ground between Merseyside and Greater Manchester, retaining such things as it’s municipal buses which are now a rarity, with Southport’s being ultimately bought by the state railway of Germany. Grouping Ormskirk with Skelmersdale instead of Southport has created a similar situation to Sefton, but which while not quite as disastrous, sees West Lancashire shared by the incredibly affluent areas of Town Green and Aughton, as well as Banks, Hesketh Bank and Tarleton which are very much a separate area and have more in common with Southport and Preston. Road signs stating “We’ve got it all in West Lancashire” aren’t making it up!

Transport is very much central to this as the loss of electrified railways in the Preston and Manchester directions (to Crossens and Meols Cop) leaving direct connections to Bootle did half the job of allying Southport to Liverpool and joining the MPTE to preserve this remaining link cos it it’s Corporation Buses, to eventually be painted in Arriva corporate green causing outrage. The other problem is that due to Southport’s age compared to surrounding towns and villages, it is unparished and so ineligible to have a parish or town council as a subdivision of Sefton.

What would help Southport now and go half way to improving its situation is the reopening of the Burscough Curves, but of course West Lancashire aren’t interested because like Warrington, they already enjoy rail links to the North, South, East and West, Sefton aren’t interested because it doesn’t benefit Bootle and they’re barely capable of pointing to Southport on a map let alone Burscough, although they’re very interested in reopening the North Mersey Branch for some reason and of course Southport has no power to do anything in its own interest.

Gareth

Established Member
I don't have much time for this "Bootle leaching off Southport" thing. I don't see much evidence of this when I go to Bootle. I also think there's a bit of a disconnect with certain Southport residents over how wealthy the town supposedly is, or even was pre-Sefton. In fact, you betray yourself slightly by suggesting the age profile of the town is why it's unparished, which is essentially implying that it has a weak tax base. The real reason Southport is unparished is because all towns of that size tend to be unparished, including Bootle. A town council for Southport would actually be a good start though.

As for Bootle, it has always been a separate town from Liverpool. If I had my way with my proposed reforms, it would have the option to be added to Liverpool or reconstitute its own municipal borough. Also, I wouldn't say either Knowsley or Liverpool are particularly well run. The former has some of the worst education attainment in the country and the latter is currently in special measures due to it reeking of corruption and nepotism, largely due to the previous mayor and his dealings with Derek Hatton - essentially, a bad episode of Brookside.

Warrington may be "independent" from other places, but itself is actually consisted of other smaller places such as Lymm. Also, it still shares some things with Cheshire, such as policing. In a scenario where we actually devolve significant powers to counties, Warrington simply isn't going to be on its own. Nor will Southport.

Last edited:

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Why would it be better to be "dominated" by Birmingham or York? As long as representation is proportionate for population, there is no problem.
Much of Wales and Scotland are remote from the South Valleys and Central Belt. No real issue there.
I never said it would be better to be ‘dominated’ by Birmingham or York. I said that London would dominate regardless of whether the English parliament was in Birmingham or York, or any city for that matter. Washington doesn’t dominate New York; Canberra doesn’t dominate Sydney.

317 forever

Established Member
I always felt that Merseyside should have included Widnes, Runcorn and maybe Warrington but not Southport. As the area north of Crosby becomes rural, and is not covered by Liverpool zone Saveaways, Crosby is a more logical northern boundary for Merseyside.

Similarly, I feel that Redditch and Cannock would be more logically included in West Midlands than Coventry.

Gareth

Established Member
Personally, I think it was the exclusion of Ormskirk & Skelmersdale that was more odd. It's their omission that makes Southport look tacked on. I agree about Widnes, Runcorn & Warrington. I'd probably say Ellesmere Port & Neston too. Most of these areas were initially intended to be included.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I always felt that Merseyside should have included Widnes, Runcorn and maybe Warrington but not Southport. As the area north of Crosby becomes rural, and is not covered by Liverpool zone Saveaways, Crosby is a more logical northern boundary for Merseyside.

Similarly, I feel that Redditch and Cannock would be more logically included in West Midlands than Coventry.

There are many areas of our metropolitan areas that I think shouldn’t be included. Coventry as you site, is an example. I wouldn’t include the town of Wigan in Greater Manchester, but I would include the eastern side of the borough of Wigan, as I would include Wilmslow and Poynton. Watford should be in Greater London.

eMeS

Cynically, I believe that some of these changes are more to do with providing an excuse for enhancing some senior civil servants salaries than what's best for the "people".

317 forever

Established Member
There are many areas of our metropolitan areas that I think shouldn’t be included. Coventry as you site, is an example. I wouldn’t include the town of Wigan in Greater Manchester, but I would include the eastern side of the borough of Wigan, as I would include Wilmslow and Poynton. Watford should be in Greater London.
Wigan does seem quite detached from the rest of Greater Manchester. If anything, it is nearer Liverpool than Manchester.

I think having the Underground and Overground serve Watford, together with the phrase "north of Watford" makes Watford look like the northernmost point in London. That said, I am used to feeling I've reached London when my Avanti train passes Harrow & Wealdstone. 8-)

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Wigan does seem quite detached from the rest of Greater Manchester. If anything, it is nearer Liverpool than Manchester.

I think having the Underground and Overground serve Watford, together with the phrase "north of Watford" makes Watford look like the northernmost point in London. That said, I am used to feeling I've reached London when my Avanti train passes Harrow & Wealdstone. 8-)
Wigan town centre is just a bit closer to Manchester city centre, but not by much. Crucially, the town is loser to the bulk of the Greater Manchester conurbation than the Merseyside conurbation, however that is as a result of the GM urban area being much larger than the Merseyside urban area.

As for London, I feel like I have arrived when I start seeing the TfL roundel when I’m on the train. If driving, it’s when I see double red lines.

Established Member
I don't have much time for this "Bootle leaching off Southport" thing. I don't see much evidence of this when I go to Bootle. I also think there's a bit of a disconnect with certain Southport residents over how wealthy the town supposedly is, or even was pre-Sefton. In fact, you betray yourself slightly by suggesting the age profile of the town is why it's unparished, which is essentially implying that it has a weak tax base. The real reason Southport is unparished is because all towns of that size tend to be unparished, including Bootle. A town council for Southport would actually be a good start though.

As for Bootle, it has always been a separate town from Liverpool. If I had my way with my proposed reforms, it would have the option to be added to Liverpool or reconstitute its own municipal borough. Also, I wouldn't say either Knowsley or Liverpool are particularly well run. The former has some of the worst education attainment in the country and the latter is currently in special measures due to it reeking of corruption and nepotism, largely due to the previous mayor and his dealings with Derek Hatton - essentially, a bad episode of Brookside.

Warrington may be "independent" from other places, but itself is actually consisted of other smaller places such as Lymm. Also, it still shares some things with Cheshire, such as policing. In a scenario where we actually devolve significant powers to counties, Warrington simply isn't going to be on its own. Nor will Southport.
The lack of benefit to Bootle from this “leaching” is what Southport residents are most disgusted with. Not only does Southport not get a penny of its own money spent on it, but Sefton’s decisions on where to spend it in Bootle have been so poor that they have been of no benefit to Bootle and downright damaging to Southport. For example Sefton made the decision to spend millions of pounds of Southport’s money on the purchase of the Bootle ‘strand’ shopping centre, a facility not usable by Southport residents who make up the majority of the population of the Metropolitan Borough and which is world famous as the site of one of the most horrific murders of all time, at many times it’s face value and then immediately wiped this value off it and it continues to lose millions of pounds of Southport’s money a year, a real funding black hole for Sefton, all while most of the shops on Southport’s world famous boulevard of Lord Street which inspired the construction Champs-Elysee itself, stand empty, with the few that are open being either ‘foreign’ or charity shops of little value to the town.

If a Borough of Southport had its own council, the true wealth of its residents would be evident in the amount of council tax revenue it received and exactly this amount of money would be available to spend in Southport. If Bootle didn’t always assume it will always have Southport as a cash cow to fill the funding black hole it’s decision making has created, perhaps it would be able to devise a more sustainable way to manage its finances and provide some real benefit to Bootle. I recall seeing a sign in the window of an empty shop in Ormskirk recently which read “West Lancashire invites new ventures to these premises at a discounted rate enquire on 01695 xxxxxx…” and the background featured some nice images of Ormskirk town centre. By comparison, empty shops in Southport with their broken/boarded up windows often have signs above themsimply state “TO LET absentee landlord +965 1800 xxx” with no attempt by the council to improve the situation. In fact Sefton have many times voted against spending money on any initiative to regenerate Lord Street, as well as selling off what shops in Southport it inherited from the Southport Corporation, setting business rates so high as to be prohibitively expensive for any business wishing to operate in Southport and making all parking in Southport pay and display, making it prohibitively expensive for anyone to visit the non-existent shops either. Where shops in the Bootle ‘strand’ shopping centre are empty, images taken in the 1960s are plastered all over them with the message “Celebrating 50 glorious years of the strand!” but that’s just ignoring the problem of empty shops and nothing to celebrate if you ask me.

When I said that Southport is unparished because of its age, I meant how long it has existed as a town, because it’s a comparatively new town, only existing since the Victorian era, it was not established as a civil parish in the same way as most older settlements, not the age profile of its current residents, even the oldest of whom had not been born at the time of Southport gaining the status of County Borough in 1867. Bootle may not be parished, but everywhere else in Sefton is, as are most places in West Lancashire. The reason Southport does not want a ‘town’ council, which is just an alternate name for a parish council, is because it would only mean an even higher rate of council tax while it would remain part of Sefton, not solving any of the problems that Sefton’s existence and ineffective method of governance causes. Southport has no facilities for its residents and any routine visit to a council office requires an unpleasant trip to Bootle, where you will be expected to provide an L post code and 0151 phone number, the worst insult imaginable to a Sandgrounder who’s 01704 area code and PR post code are part of their local identity.

Liverpool and Knowsley are vastly better run than Sefton. All I can say is that all of the worst people I or anyone in my family have ever had the misfortune to encounter came from the Sefton education department and that the “leached” money I was referring to is lost to corruption, on the part of people from the education department in particular. Joe Anderson is a saint compared to any of them.

The level of “independence” exhibited by the Unitary Authority of Warrington is exactly what is needed for Southport and would come with such benefits as a municipal bus operator. I’m sure Lymm hasn’t been damaged in the slightest by being part of Warrington. A separate Warrington police force or health service would simply be too small. Also criminals would simply be able to escape to the rest of Cheshire.

Crosby is the northernmost extent of both the continuous conurbation of Liverpool and the Mersey estuary, so it is the only logical place for Merseyside to end. Formby and Southport are simply not part of either and are tacked on. Warrington can claim to be on the Mersey, which it is, but does not wish to be part of Merseyside.
Personally, I think it was the exclusion of Ormskirk & Skelmersdale that was more odd. It's their omission that makes Southport look tacked on. I agree about Widnes, Runcorn & Warrington. I'd probably say Ellesmere Port & Neston too. Most of these areas were initially intended to be included.
If Ormskirk was included it would make more sense for Southport to be as most of its hinterland would be in Merseyside. Ellesmere Port and Runcorn make more sense though.

The problem with expanding Merseyside is that you don’t have to go far before you reach somewhere thats indisputably not part of Merseyside. If you were to put the whole Borough of West Lancashire in Merseyside, you’d have Hesketh Bank and Tarleton which are effectively part of Preston. Go too far the other way and you’ve absorbed the County Town of Cheshire, another city in its own right and part of North Wales!
What would you do with Alderley Edge, which is the end of the continuous conurbation of Manchester in the Crewe direction? Would it be on its own in Cheshire or would it be part of Greater Manchester with adjoining Wilmslow?

Likewise would you put the often ignored small town of Leigh in Merseyside or Lancashire with Wigan or in Greater Manchester?

The Manchester continuous conurbation goes as far as Glossop, Marple, Hazel Grove, Poynton, Alderley Edge, Irlam, Lostock, Bromley Cross, Ramsbottom, Littleborough, Shaw and Stalybridge, but some are not in Greater Manchester and other places beyond are. If anything I would include a bit more of Cheshire and a bit less of Lancashire. The whole Airport runway should be in Greater Manchester.

There is an ongoing argument as to whether “North of Watford” refers to the Watford where Watford Junction is served by the London Overground, or Watford gap, which apparently is somewhere else entirely. Obviously both are part of London in reality, but in the same way as Bootle is just part of Liverpool, the only people who say otherwise are the people who live there. There are no grounds for Watford not to be included in London given that it is part of the continuous conurbation. Fortunately, the definition of London as everything within the M25 does not exclude Watford.
Wigan town centre is just a bit closer to Manchester city centre, but not by much. Crucially, the town is loser to the bulk of the Greater Manchester conurbation than the Merseyside conurbation, however that is as a result of the GM urban area being much larger than the Merseyside urban area.
Manchester being inland has towns surrounding it on all sides, unlike Liverpool being on the coast. If it wasn’t for the Pennines, “Manchester” would probably go all the way into Yorkshire. Measured in a straight line, Bootle Town Hall to Southport Town Hall is 14 miles, but Southport Town Hall to Preston County Hall is 14.3 miles. Is it right for places to be tied together like this when other very different places are only negligibly further away in a different direction?

Purple Orange

On Moderation
@507020 to answer some of your points, I’d argue that there should be an M6 corridor borough, from Wigan & Hindley down to Warrington, with places like Leigh and Atherton being in a Greater Manchester borough. On the southern side, I agree that Alderley Edge should be in Greater Manchester.

However, those are small changes to the wider picture and rearranging Wigan & Warrington might not be worth it. The most important aspect would be to see assemblies created, each with appropriate powers over transport, housing, health, education etc from Westminster.

Last edited by a moderator:

davehsug

It happens elsewhere. In North Staffordshire, we have the ridiculous situation of Newcastle-under-Lyme being a seperate authority to Stoke-on-Trent. The centres of the 2 areas are 2 miles apart, and it was only the refusal of Newcastle to join with Stoke in the federation of 1910 that's led to the daft situation. It should have been sorted in 1974, but somehow, Newcastle managed to retain it's independence. You now have the barmy situation of 2 councils covering a continuous conurbation, which share the same interests, roads, public transport problems, but split across 2 councils.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
It happens elsewhere. In North Staffordshire, we have the ridiculous situation of Newcastle-under-Lyme being a seperate authority to Stoke-on-Trent. The centres of the 2 areas are 2 miles apart, and it was only the refusal of Newcastle to join with Stoke in the federation of 1910 that's led to the daft situation. It should have been sorted in 1974, but somehow, Newcastle managed to retain it's independence. You now have the barmy situation of 2 councils covering a continuous conurbation, which share the same interests, roads, public transport problems, but split across 2 councils.
Is Hanley city centre really doing better than Newcastle though? It doesn't matter where the council boundaries are, the council will always do a lousy job at maintaining roads and services as long as they are underfunded, or led by corrupt politicians.

The "county" councils for West Yorkshire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cleveland, South Yorkshire, all failed and went out of use in favour of smaller unitary councils such as Bolton. There's no way of knowing if a Potteries council would of been a success.

davehsug

Is Hanley city centre really doing better than Newcastle though? It doesn't matter where the council boundaries are, the council will always do a lousy job at maintaining roads and services as long as they are underfunded, or led by corrupt politicians.

The "county" councils for West Yorkshire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cleveland, South Yorkshire, all failed and went out of use in favour of smaller unitary councils such as Bolton. There's no way of knowing if a Potteries council would of been a success.
It may well not have been a success. But my point was that nowhere else in the country do you have seperate authorities with centres which are so close, (maybe inner London?), There is no physical distinction between Stoke & Newcastle. No green area, not even what might be called suburbs. You get in a car in Hanley, or even Stoke town hall, and drive through what is clearly an "inner city" area, and during quieter periods, you arrive in Newcastle town centre in about 7 or 8 minutes, with no indication that you are somewhere "different".

Established Member
It may well not have been a success. But my point was that nowhere else in the country do you have seperate authorities with centres which are so close, (maybe inner London?), There is no physical distinction between Stoke & Newcastle. No green area, not even what might be called suburbs. You get in a car in Hanley, or even Stoke town hall, and drive through what is clearly an "inner city" area, and during quieter periods, you arrive in Newcastle town centre in about 7 or 8 minutes, with no indication that you are somewhere "different".
Perhaps Manchester and Salford, with part of what is effectively “Manchester City Centre” (even though it isn’t) being occupied by Salford, although you are crossing a river to get between them.

Purple Orange

On Moderation

Those county councils have been resurrected in recent years as City Regions. The government has been creating new city regions periodically, with three combined authorities being established for North Yorkshire, East Yorkshire and Cumbria. It seems to be at the level of City Regions and County Regions (I’m not sure if ‘county region’ is the correct term) that devolution is taking place for England. Therefore there would be an argument for the Staffordshire to go the same way.

HSTEd

Veteran Member

Did they fail in any manner other than simply refusing to be won by people with blue rosettes though?

Ultimately the Metropolitan county councils seem to me to be the only reasonable way of organising local government going forward.

Ultimately if you have local government you will inevitably end up with boundaries in awkward places - basing it on realistic industrial-economic conurbations is the only reasonable choice to make really.

Although maybe I'm being hypocritical because I also want Lincolnshire County Council destroyed and the historic councils restored.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Seriously though, why on earth does England have to be split up? Since Scotland, Wales and NI are devolved, devolve England too and have the regional assembly in Birmingham (NOT Lancs or Yorks!) and keep the "federal" government in Westminster. I have absolutely no idea why this hasn't already been done.

It depends a bit on what the aim of devolving powers is. To my mind, there are at least two aims: To recognise people's regional/national identities, and to ensure that power is being exercised closer to local communities. Having devolved Governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland achieves both aims. The problem with England is that it's so big (80%+ of the population of the UK), that if you keep it as one unit, then you have a Government that's not significantly closer to the local communities than the UK Government. So you may have achieved the first aim of recognising a national identity, but you've failed in the 2nd aim of having power be more local. I think that's why a lot of people feel you'd have to break England up into smaller regions if you went the federal route.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
It depends a bit on what the aim of devolving powers is. To my mind, there are at least two aims: To recognise people's regional/national identities, and to ensure that power is being exercised closer to local communities. Having devolved Governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland achieves both aims. The problem with England is that it's so big (80%+ of the population of the UK), that if you keep it as one unit, then you have a Government that's not significantly closer to the local communities than the UK Government. So you may have achieved the first aim of recognising a national identity, but you've failed in the 2nd aim of having power be more local. I think that's why a lot of people feel you'd have to break England up into smaller regions if you went the federal route.

I’ve come around to the idea of focusing on metropolitan city regions and county combined authorities. When you look at devolved regions across, many of the smaller counties are similar in population to the smallest of the devolved regions in Italy & Spain.

WAB

Yes, a devolved England would still be too much of a monolith and would not have the same impact on local power that the devolved nations have - for context, six boroughs of London have a combined population which is greater than Northern Ireland. It'd also have excessive clout compared to the devolved nations.

A balance needs to be found between the level of local control and the administrative/financial difficulties of splitting up England into too many pieces.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
If England needs to be broken up to continue the United Kingdom, then England needs independence ASAP.
As long as political impact on things that effect ordinary people is limited to only those issues local people support generally, there is no problem. No one in those six "boroughs" in London elects people with any intention to vote on Northern Irish matters, or vice versa (and usually English MPs can't on devolved transport etc while the reverse is true). Yet all too often politicians in the other nations always blame England for everything.
National identity is always going to be stronger than say "East Midlands" identity.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If England needs to be broken up to continue the United Kingdom, then England needs independence ASAP.
It might have been better if England had declared independence from the rest of the UK. You could have had your Brexit and not buggered it up for everyone else. :rolleyes:

Gareth

Established Member
Whatever problems Brexit may arguably bring, I think breaking up a centuries old unitary state would bring those problems multiplied and then some.

But yes, English separatism is a strange thing. It's so uncommon, it's a novelty when you come across it. It's as eccentric as Castillian or Prussian separatism.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
As long as political impact on things that effect ordinary people is limited to only those issues local people support generally, there is no problem. No one in those six "boroughs" in London elects people with any intention to vote on Northern Irish matters, or vice versa (and usually English MPs can't on devolved transport etc while the reverse is true). Yet all too often politicians in the other nations always blame England for everything.
National identity is always going to be stronger than say "East Midlands" identity.
I think you’re overstating the impact of what ‘breaking up’ England means. It will just mean regional devolved powers, which is what is happening. England as a nation won’t ever be broken up.

Although to give England greater autonomy on England only matters (I.e. on the laws that have been devolved to Scotland), we need to see sitting assemblies in the devolved areas. Not all of the Scottish powers need to be devolved to English assemblies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.