• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS1 trip to Margate, plus Trams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Another busy-ish day for me:

Started the day off by driving to Andover to catch the 8:43 service (made up of 159106 & 159107), quite busy with families making use of the winter sale. Highlight of the wait at Andover was the XC train passing though being diverted. Must have made use of the eastern curve at Salisbury's tunnel junction. Nice trip to Waterloo, arrived a bit early.

Jumped onto a Bakerloo service north and changed onto a Victoria service at Oxford Circus to get to Kings Cross underground. Found my way out to the Southeastern St Pancras platforms. 395004 was waiting for the 10:40 service to Margate.

Lots of tunnels between St Pan and Stratford 'international' as the train slowly sped its way to Ashford. After Ashford it changes from AC to DC 3rd rail and ran toward Ramsgate, going slow over the part which was flooded this week. Stopped a couple times, after Ramsgate pulled up to head towards Margate. There was a station between Rams and Broadstairs which looks quite bare, no waiting shelters or anything.

At margate got off the train and headed out of the station via the Kent welcome guides. Very windy and was a tad wet in the air so I made my way to the beach and had a quick walk. As the wind was so strong I headed back towards the station where the same train I came down on was waiting 12:50 or so service.

Annoyingly between getting off the train and getting back on, I've lost my nexus 7 tablet. :( raised a lost property with SE website as the train manager hadn't seen it (just in case it felt from my bag when getting off the train).

I was sat next to a family which I'm guessing from overhearing the conversation the mum was making on her phone that the dad had been sleeping around. At least air your dirty laundry out in private. Seemed a few people decided they would like standing between Ashford and St Pan even when the guard said there was plenty of seats at the rear of the train.

Pulled into St Pan, found my way onto the northern platform to head south towards London Bridge. Got out to the mainline platforms to find a train heading towards Hayes pulling away. Waited 10 minutes for the FCC service to Three Bridges to pull in, made up of 319368. Went to east Croydon to catch a tram heading towards Elmers End.

At Elmers End, went across the platform to tesco to pick up a bite to eat and also a new Hudl. Came back to catch another tram to sandilands where I got off, crossed over to the other platform to wait for the next new Addington tram to pull in. First thoughts is that, that there is a long tunnels after the curve. Nice journey along to New Addington.

Swapped ends of the tram and rode it all the way to Wimbledon to complete the tram network. At Wimbledon it was a short wait for a 455 service to pull in, number on the front was 5712. Nice trip into Waterloo passing the depot at Wimbledon.

At Waterloo I had a 40 minute wait, 25 minutes sat on the platform and 15 minutes sat on 159104/159016/159021. It's quite busy.

Phone battery is slowly dying so I think I will look out of the window into the darkness, going fast somewhere between Woking and Basingstoke.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

user15681

Established Member
Lots of tunnels between St Pan and Stratford 'international' as the train slowly sped its way to Ashford. After Ashford it changes from AC to DC 3rd rail and ran toward Ramsgate, going slow over the part which was flooded this week. Stopped a couple times, after Ramsgate pulled up to head towards Margate. There was a station between Rams and Broadstairs which looks quite bare, no waiting shelters or anything.

At margate got off the train and headed out of the station via the Kent welcome guides. Very windy and was a tad wet in the air so I made my way to the beach and had a quick walk. As the wind was so strong I headed back towards the station where the same train I came down on was waiting 12:50 or so service.

Glad you managed to get through all the way, thanks to the water receding a little.

The station between Ramsgate and Broadstairs is Dumpton Park. It sees 1tph in each direction, to either Ramsgate or London Victoria. You didn't miss much by not stopping, I can assure you. As an aside, I've always found it odd that Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate have services to London that leave in either direction. In the peak, even services to the same terminus.

Margate isn't particularly nice at this time of the year. It's gone downhill a lot in recent years, but summer is the best time to visit, despite how busy it can get.

PaulJ

OI! Margate's on the up, dontcha know?! The Turner Contemporary has bought new investment in the Old Town area and Dreamland is on the verge of a great renaissance. Come back in the summer! (Personally I prefer Broadstairs and Ramsgate though!)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looked a bit like some of the towns on the Isle of Wight this time of year, all boarded up with not a lot going on.

Clip

Established Member
OI! Margate's on the up, dontcha know?! The Turner Contemporary has bought new investment in the Old Town area and Dreamland is on the verge of a great renaissance. Come back in the summer! (Personally I prefer Broadstairs and Ramsgate though!)

Theyve been saying that about Dreamland for a few years now and still no movement on it.

Still, as much as the Turner is a waste of money its still a nice little resort to visit - especially the lifeboat in the old town for some great ales and tramp juice.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Well I've had some good news today, Southeastern have found my tablet :)

The only bad news is that the lost property office is open til 6pm on weekdays, so I'm going to be finished work a bit early on Friday to catch a train to Waterloo.

Am I correct in thinking if I get a Grateley to London Terminals ticket I am able to travel to Waterloo, walk across to Waterloo East to catch a train to London Bridge before catching another service to Cannon Street itself without paying extra for underground?

user15681

Established Member
Well I've had some good news today, Southeastern have found my tablet :)

The only bad news is that the lost property office is open til 6pm on weekdays, so I'm going to be finished work a bit early on Friday to catch a train to Waterloo.

Am I correct in thinking if I get a Grateley to London Terminals ticket I am able to travel to Waterloo, walk across to Waterloo East to catch a train to London Bridge before catching another service to Cannon Street itself without paying extra for underground?

That's great news! As far as the ticket goes, I don't think it'll be valid to Cannon Street, only as far as Waterloo. However, don't take my word on that. If one of the fares advisers doesn't notice your post I'd suggest a thread in the fares section of the forum to get clarification.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Already had that idea to post in the fares section

http://railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=97177

Although I now have 2 tablets (as I didn't think it would get found, I wonder if there is a way to cancel the factory reset order sent out on Sunday to stop it resetting to factory settings when first connected to the net)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well, the good news is that I picked up my Nexus from Cannon Street (going via Waterloo East/London Bridge was easier than going via the underground).

Gives me an couple options:
1 - Keep the nexus and return the Hudl (although I will have to take the hit on the case as I've misplaced that receipt) within the Tesco 14 day return
2 - Keep the Hudl and sell the Nexus.

Comparing like for like, the Hudl feels heavier than the Nexus, I will take the Hudl with me on my Great Escape pt 2 tomorrow to see how it stacks up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.