• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 Construction overall timeline

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Apologies if there is another similar thread, but does anyone know roughly when the next stages of construction will start? With tunnelling planned to finish in 2024, will tracklaying start then as well, followed by the overhead wires and signals, or will there be a delay before it starts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Apologies if there is another similar thread, but does anyone know roughly when the next stages of construction will start? With tunnelling planned to finish in 2024, will tracklaying start then as well, followed by the overhead wires and signals, or will there be a delay before it starts?
Contracts for the railway equipment (track, signalling, OHLE) have not been let yet, bar one for switches and crossings, and apparently they are delayed while another round of "best and final" bids are made.
These will feel the full force of inflation in materials and labour costs.
Tunnelling won't now finish in 2024, with the London end delayed (launch of Euston and Northolt East tunnels); Northolt West is also running late.
I think the aim is also to cap the number of concurrent TBMs at work, to reduce the peak spend.
There's still a lot of work to do between the main construction sites before tracklaying starts.
I would guess it will be 2026 or so before we start to see a railway emerge from the concrete and steel.

I happen to keep a list of tunnelling start/end predictions which I update from time to time as I happen across things in the public domain. At time of writing, the "scores on the doors" in my little list are:

Long Itchington is complete - 2022-07-22 Down Bore 2023-03-30 Up Bore, cross passages presently being worked on.
Northolt (Western) - started 6-Oct-2022 (Sushila) Down bore 28-Oct-2022 (Caroline) Up bore - I have no prediction for completion.
Northolt (Eastern) - I have no data.
Euston - predicted to start "summer 2025."
Bromford - predicted to start "summer 2023 and early 2024" - predicted completion "spring 2025"
Chiltern - started 2021-05-12 (Florence) Up Bore 2021-07-01 (Cecelia) Down Bore - completion predicted "spring 2024"

There's still plenty of other "civils" works to do before track etc. starts - e.g. cuttings, embankments, a heap of bridges many of which have not yet started.

I am no expert in such matters, but I suspect it will be more efficient to engage in works such as track, signals and OLE once a nominally "completed" civil engineering project can be handed over to the relevant contractors so that they can work along the route linearly (using things like works trains) extending out from a few logistics hubs rather that doing lots of little bits and gradually "joining it all up."

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
For what it's worth, several magazine pieces have said they will build the railway in pieces as the route becomes ready and join it up later, rather than use the "head of steel" approach from a base starting point.
The haul road along most of HS2's length means they can do a lot of things en route, so to speak.
We still have the access at Calvert as the only rail access until a WCML connection is built, but The Planner was hinting that there might be access at Washwood Heath, where HS2 runs alongside the Midland line, to deliver rolling stock.
No contracts have yet been let for the "joined up" railway, so nothing is yet fixed.
Timewise, the progress of the slab track base installation will be the first stage of building the railway.

EDIT:
I see the concrete plant to build the Delta junction viaducts started production today.
So that must mean that the full Delta junction is going to be built for Phase 1, if not the connecting line on to Handsacre.

HS2 has started production of 2,742 huge concrete segments which will be used to build the Delta Junction, a triangle-shaped series of viaducts that will take high-speed trains between London, the Midlands and the North.

The deck segments – which each weigh up to 80 tonnes – are being made on site at a purpose-built outdoor factory at Kingsbury, Warwickshire. The 55,000 square metre site employs around 1,000 people in total, with a team of 200 tasked with building the network of 9 viaducts at Water Orton and Coleshill, crossing motorways, roads and footpaths. It also hosts a Skills Academy to support local people into employment or further training.

The pre-cast yard will turn out up to eight segments per day, with a variable weight between 50 and 80 tonnes. The segments are 3.5m high and come in two different widths - 7m or 11m, to support single track and double track sections of the railway.

Last edited:

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Thanks @Cowley, HS2 have provided an update, saying that they will sign contracts for track, signalling and OLE next year. Work on these will (hopefully!) start in 2026/27.

HS2 Ltd is also expecting to award contracts for the rail systems that will dictate the operation of the line when it opens between 2029 and 2033.

Eleven contracts are already out to tender and are expected to be awarded in 2024, unlocking more opportunities for the UK’s construction, engineering and rail sector.
Physical construction of many parts of HS2’s rail system along the route is expected to begin from 2026/7 when main civil engineering work reaches its conclusion.
HS2 on track for pivotal 12 months as high-speed railway takes shape

stuving

Thanks @Cowley, HS2 have provided an update, saying that they will sign contracts for track, signalling and OLE next year. Work on these will (hopefully!) start in 2026/27.
There is more detail in a number of areas in that. This one, though, is still pretty vague:
A further contract will be awarded for the high-voltage power system used by the line, delivering zero-carbon electricity from the National Grid.
So, does that refer to the feed stations? If so, how much of the design will be included, and how much is already fixed?