• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 Construction Updates - Birmingham Area

cuemaster

I really damn hope that the legs are reinstated in at least the next 5 years, 10 if we're optimistic
I think most would agree with that sentiment.. but the issue of ££ and funding springs to mind but that’s for another thread/discussion I suspect. Edit add political will to the list… :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chris2

https://mediacentre.hs2.org.uk/news...to-take-shape-at-hs2s-linchpin-delta-junction

HS2’s Delta Junction is a triangular section of line, enabling trains to travel between London and Birmingham, Birmingham and Manchester, and direct between London and Manchester without stopping at Birmingham.

In this complicated section of the Delta Junction, there are six tracks of the railway running alongside each other as they join the southern end of the Curdworth Box.

So I think this speaks fairly clearly to the earlier discussion about the design of the delta junction post phase 2 cancellation and whether the gov would try to change the design here.

The question is how much damage may be done to the possibility of bringing back scrapped legs of the project in future? Eg, were the delta junction design to be changed to exclude the northern arm (Birmingham -> Manchester), or to reduce the number of tracks at the base of “Y”, then this would add extra complications to re-adding additional legs in future.

But so far the plans appear to be progressing as per the original “Y” shape.

Of course, the capacity constraints that would be created by a six platform station at Euston would still be a major problem regardless of what happens in the delta. For that I guess we have to hope Labour get in next year and set a different course.

diffident

https://mediacentre.hs2.org.uk/news...to-take-shape-at-hs2s-linchpin-delta-junction

So I think this speaks fairly clearly to the earlier discussion about the design of the delta junction post phase 2 cancellation and whether the gov would try to change the design here.

The question is how much damage may be done to the possibility of bringing back scrapped legs of the project in future? Eg, were the delta junction design to be changed to exclude the northern arm (Birmingham -> Manchester), or to reduce the number of tracks at the base of “Y”, then this would add extra complications to re-adding additional legs in future.

Of course, the capacity constraints that would be created by a six platform station at Euston would still be a major problem regardless of what happens in the delta. For that I guess we have to hope Labour get in next year and set a different course.

Given the amount of work already completed in the Water Orton area for the delta junction, I think it is somewhat beyond the point of being able to stop it.

The Planner

Veteran Member

The section to Handsacre is being built, so the full Delta has to be built.

The Planner

Veteran Member
True, but we better hope they do the original handsacre design where the HS2 tracks enter onto the fast tracks rather than the slow tracks.
Why? Makes little difference to the overall issue of getting it all through Colwich.

Fazaar1889

Why? Makes little difference to the overall issue of getting it all through Colwich.
Because it will reduce the efficiency of HS2, creating a chokepoint and decreasing its capacity, I think. If they went with the new design, the trains would need to use switches to enter the WCML fast tracks, Rail Focus did a video on it.

Handsacre, The End of the Line for HS2?​

zwk500

Veteran Member
Because it will reduce the efficiency of HS2, creating a chokepoint and decreasing its capacity, I think. If they went with the new design, the trains would need to use switches to enter the WCML fast tracks, Rail Focus did a video on it.
The layout of Handsacre Junction will be an insignificant constraint when compared to Colwich Junction and the Shugborough 2-track section.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Oh right... I didn't even realise that. Thanks!
You can see on this page: https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/sta where the constraints are, HS2 will be terminating south of Rugeley (to the left on the diagram). If HS2 ran up to Crewe it would mean HS2 trains could avoid the bottleneck completely.

Given HS2 trains are going to use the Fast Lines all the time in normal running, having HS2 join in between both fast lines is not really a problem, even if it might be slightly more efficient to have them joining between each fast and slow track.

Fazaar1889

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Can anyone help on this query please. If you drive east along the A5 from Weeford island to Tamworth, there has been excavation work, laybys closed off and masses of cones as well as some HS2 signage. In the last few months all the plant has gone and there seems to remain only the cones, and greenery returning to the excavated soil.

At one stage I thought it may be have been part of HS2B - now cancelled, but I understand it is the part of HS2 which links the Delta junction to the new Handsacre WCML junction. I can only assume the work has been suspended and workers moved to another part of the project.

Anyone know more please ?

snowball

Established Member
Can anyone help on this query please. If you drive east along the A5 from Weeford island to Tamworth, there has been excavation work, laybys closed off and masses of cones as well as some HS2 signage. In the last few months all the plant has gone and there seems to remain only the cones, and greenery returning to the excavated soil.

At one stage I thought it may be have been part of HS2B - now cancelled, but I understand it is the part of HS2 which links the Delta junction to the new Handsacre WCML junction. I can only assume the work has been suspended and workers moved to another part of the project.

Anyone know more please ?

The crossing of the A5 in the location you mention is, and always has been, part of the north end of phase 1, a few miles north of the delta junction near Water Orton. It is not part of the route from Euston or OOC to Curzon Street, but is still a committed part of the scheme. At least two bridges further north (under the WCML and under the Lichfield-Derby line) have been built.

However following the prime minister's announcement in the autumn, spending on works north of the Water Orton triangle is being slowed down. It would appear from what you say that in the case of the A5 crossing, "slowed down" means "suspended for the time being".

Anyone know if work is active on the A38 bridge at Streethay?

Last edited:

RyanOPlasty

However following the prime minister's announcement in the autumn, spending on works north of the Water Orton triangle is being slowed down. It would appear from what you say that in the case of the A5 crossing, "slowed down" means "suspended for the time being"

Having been passing the part finished piles at the A5 bridge for over a year now without any apparent progress, I was surprised to see they had been completed and other work in progress yesterday.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I know Warwickshire is just outside Birmingham but I can't find another thread about the area for HS2. I found this small YouTube Channel documenting HS2 in the Warwickshire area. They've got some nice footage of A423 crossing etc..
I think this is the thread you couldn’t find. Covers the area near Southam and the A423 etc. I’d note though that the various separate threads about HS2 locations have always been a bit hit and miss in terms of naming, some are named after nearby places, some are for named tunnels, etc etc…

Fazaar1889

I think this is the thread you couldn’t find. Covers the area near Southam and the A423 etc. I’d note though that the various separate threads about HS2 locations have always been a bit hit and miss in terms of naming, some are named after nearby places, some are for named tunnels, etc etc…
Thanks. It was much easier when there was the big hs2 thread

AL1875

Due to the very misguided slowing/cancelling of the building north of Birmingham is it now most likely that this thing starts as a purely Old Oak Common to Curzon street shuttle?

E6007

Has been the plan for quite a while, certainly long before Rishi cancelled phase 2. It can be achieved relatively easily as it is self contained and not connected to the existing network. Somewhat like the Elizabeth Line between Paddington and Abbey Wood.

AL1875

So is there any timescale of when after that the part of the line to handsacre will be in operation?

Yindee8191

HS2’s In Your Area Map has an item about the first piling works for Curzon Street dated to early February, so it looks like full construction might be starting there soon.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
So is there any timescale of when after that the part of the line to handsacre will be in operation?
I think there will be a 2-3 year gap between opening to Curzon St and opening via Handsacre.
The initial delay north of Water Orton was to cap the annual spend for HS2.
Completion is always couched in vague terms like 2029-33.
It will all depend, even for Curzon St, on when the government chooses to allow HS2 Ltd to let the remaining contracts.
The railway contracts (track, OHLE, signalling etc) are still not awarded - now due "in the summer".

Snow1964

Established Member
Curzon Street station start article (actual station, not approach viaducts), with expected dates. Work on the station façade will begin in Summer 2025, with construction of concourse steelwork and the roof due to start in Autumn 2025. The internal fit-out of the station will start towards the end of 2025 and finish at the end of 2028. Operational testing and commissioning will run from Summer 2026 to Autumn 2028.

• HS2 starts 2024 with a major milestone as five year station construction programme begins in central Birmingham
  • Birmingham Curzon Street station will be the first brand new intercity terminus station built in Britain since the 19th Century
  • Hundreds of jobs will be created during the build, including apprenticeships and opportunities for unemployed people
  • Official start of construction photos from an event on site on Wednesday 24 January - https://visual-library.hs2.org.uk/s/wvxws3hc5sxstxqb7xfpcbv
  • CGI images of the station; Animated flythrough of the station; Aerial footage of the site
HS2 today [Wednesday 24 January] marked the start of construction on the landmark Birmingham Curzon Street Station – a new rail hub that will play a vital role in the long-term economic future of the West Midlands.
Birmingham Curzon Street Station, which will be net zero carbon in operation, will be the first brand new intercity terminus station built in Britain since the 19th Century.
HS2’s contractor Mace Dragados Joint Venture (MDJV) have been in Stage One of the contract since 2021, working with HS2 Ltd to develop the detailed programme. Starting this January, they will deliver major earthworks to prepare the site for piling and foundations work in the Spring, with construction of the main station building due to start in the Summer.
During construction itself, hundreds of jobs will be created, including an estimated 100 new entrant roles, new apprenticeship positions and Restart scheme opportunities for unemployed people.
Rail Minister Huw Merriman said:
“Curzon Street will become one of the most environmentally friendly stations in the world, and the gateway to Birmingham for future HS2 passengers. The start of construction represents significant progress for the UK’s largest infrastructure project, demonstrating real momentum in building the line that will transform rail travel for generations to come.
“Birmingham is a hive of HS2 construction, with the project already supporting thousands of jobs and apprenticeships in and around the city. This next step at Curzon Steet Station will open up hundreds more opportunities for people across the region, providing a real boost to the economy.”
Sir Jon Thompson, Executive Chair of HS2 Ltd said:
“This is a major milestone for HS2 in the West Midlands, as work begins on this brand new iconic structure in the city. The connectivity created by Birmingham Curzon Street Station and its public realm will create far-reaching social and economic opportunities across Birmingham’s Eastside by linking together the learning and creative quarters, new residential developments and the city centre.
“As work ramps up over the coming months, many jobs, apprenticeships and supply chain opportunities will be on offer – building on the economic benefits already making an impact in the region as a result of HS2.”
Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands, said:
“Commencing construction on Curzon Street Station is a landmark moment for HS2, for our region and for the entire country. Building Curzon Street will create hundreds of jobs for local people and upgrade our rail infrastructure for the 21st Century.
“This brand new station is a clear example of the tangible benefits HS2 can deliver in the months and years ahead.”
Liz Clements, Cabinet Member for Transport, Birmingham City Council said:
“This is a landmark moment for Birmingham as the construction of Curzon Street Station begins. The construction of the station will see the creation of hundreds of new jobs and provide an important boost for our city’s economy.
“Curzon Street Station will be at the heart of our transformed city centre, with world class public realm linking the station with our metro and bus networks.
“The arrival of high speed trains to Curzon Street will be a huge moment in our city’s history, and the construction of the station brings that moment ever-closer.”
Jason Millett, Mace Dragados JV Board Director, said:
“HS2 Curzon Street Station presents an unparalleled opportunity to generate positive change for Birmingham and the West Midlands. Aside from the benefits of improved rail travel for millions of people across the region, the station will drive urban regeneration, connect communities, create long-term employment, and proudly stand as a hive of activity in the heart of a booming city centre.
“The benefits don’t begin with the completed station, though. Building on the excellent foundations laid by the early works and main works civils contractors, we are determined to enhance HS2’s legacy by identifying and implementing opportunities to drive sustainability and achieve social value at every step of the way.
“We’re looking forward to bringing industry-leading ideas, innovations and expertise from across our international construction and consultancy teams to deliver this landmark station for the West Midlands.”
Work on the station façade will begin in Summer 2025, with construction of concourse steelwork and the roof due to start in Autumn 2025. The internal fit-out of the station will start towards the end of 2025 and finish at the end of 2028. Operational testing and commissioning will run from Summer 2026 to Autumn 2028.
The station will deliver excellent connectivity to Eastside and Digbeth to enable wider regeneration in the area. There will be seamless connections to the local transport network including buses and the Midland Metro with a tram line running alongside and under the station, connecting the city with Digbeth.
HS2 worked with WSP and Grimshaw Architects LLP on the design for Curzon Street, which is inspired by the great arched roofs built by the Victorian railway pioneers. The design takes that inspiration into the 21st Century, ensuring accessibility and a focus on the open space and landscaping around it.
Once complete, HS2 will almost halve the journey time between London Euston and Birmingham to just 49 minutes, with trains running north via the existing rail network to destinations such as Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow.
Trains will approach Birmingham through a series of structures being delivered by HS2’s main works contractor for the West Midlands, Balfour Beatty VINCI (BBV). This includes the 3.5 mile Bromford Tunnel and a series of five connected viaducts from Washwood Heath, and over the existing Victorian railway line, Lawley Middleway and Digbeth Canal. The final approach to the station - Curzon Viaduct No.3, also being delivered by BBV, widens from a single deck to four separate decks, spanning 65 metres at the wideset point, to carry seven tracks to the platforms.
ENDS