• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

nellystew

Protestors are digging a tunnel to try and stop construction

Looks they're digging in the park at the front (south) of the station and are claiming the tunnel is 100ft long, so at best they've reached the edge of the park!!!! :E:E

2021-01-28 10_20_07-Google Earth Pro.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member

Looks they're digging in the park at the front (south) of the station and are claiming the tunnel is 100ft long, so at best they've reached the edge of the park!!!! :E:E
Not bad, won't take too long to be filled back in :D Ironically I would imagine they have done some damage to the trees, which they are trying to protect, roots by digging that tunnel. I'm assuming they think hiding in a tiny tunnel will stop them being evicted?

AM9

Veteran Member
Saw the 'reveal' 2 days ago. So they've made it public and yesterday, security personnel flushed those on the surface and in the trees etc., out of the site. How long will they be able to stay down there. No doubt they have a food stash and drinks down there, but what goes in must come out! o_O
Then there's the air quality, the CO2 level will rise quickly with no replacement, and that's before the possibility of foul air seeping in (of which London clay contains much even before the subterranean perforations of the last 200 years). Drop a wired comms line in there so that they can talk to the police and screen the 'shed' over the entrance to prevent them using any mobile phones that might just work at that depth.

JamesT

Established Member

I believe this protest is only about the park being used temporarily for construction, rather than trying to prevent HS2 construction in full.

Roast Veg

Established Member
I believe this protest is only about the park being used temporarily for construction, rather than trying to prevent HS2 construction in full.
Not according to the protestor who featured most heavily in the video - she said their aim was HS2 prevention for the sake of trees both in that park and "up the line".

JamesT

Established Member
Saw the 'reveal' 2 days ago. So they've made it public and yesterday, security personnel flushed those on the surface and in the trees etc., out of the site. How long will they be able to stay down there. No doubt they have a food stash and drinks down there, but what goes in must come out! o_O
Then there's the air quality, the CO2 level will rise quickly with no replacement, and that's before the possibility of foul air seeping in (of which London clay contains much even before the subterranean perforations of the last 200 years). Drop a wired comms line in there so that they can talk to the police and screen the 'shed' over the entrance to prevent them using any mobile phones that might just work at that depth.
I think I saw in a news article on the tunnel that they had some sort of air pump down there. I assume trying to block the pipe for that wouldn't be allowed.

miami

Established Member
I'm assuming they think hiding in a tiny tunnel will stop them being evicted?

Presumably hoping it will increase costs, delay it, and raise more publicity. It might not stop leg 1, but the extra costs will have knock on effects on future projects which need to budget more for security and clearing which might tip the balance away from being viable

http://www.intrescue.info/hub/index.php/manchester-airport-second-runway-protest/

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/remembering-swampy-emerged-long-tunnel-3738845

You could flush them out easilly, just pour water down there until the hole fills up, that runs the risk of killing them, which wouldn't be good.

Chris NS

Whoop-de-doo. Fight climate change by ignoring all the damaging road-building schemes and trying to impede the most environmentally friendly form of travel.

Energy

Established Member
Presumably hoping it will increase costs, delay it, and raise more publicity.
Cost - tiny cost for the whole project
Delay - some time but not long, in a tunnel that small I doubt they will be in there for more than a few weeks.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
How deep is the tunnel...? Presumably they'll come a cropper when they reach the foundations of the current station anyway?

squizzler

Established Member
Perhaps the protestors should do one of those job swaps with the current management of Crossrail. I know which I consider better at finishing their tunnelling projects...

miami

Established Member
Whoop-de-doo. Fight climate change by ignoring all the damaging road-building schemes and trying to impede the most environmentally friendly form of travel.

These sorts of people are the ones digging tunnels at road sites too - if a project is large enough to attract media attention. Manchester Airport, Newbury Bypass, A30, Twyford Down, etc. etc.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
These sorts of people are the ones digging tunnels at road sites too - if a project is large enough to attract media attention. Manchester Airport, Newbury Bypass, A30, Twyford Down, etc. etc.

None of which are happening at the moment.

A14 upgrade? Nowhere to be seen.
Lower Thames Crossing? Nowhere to be seen.
Dundee bypass? Nowhere to be seen.
Stonehenge tunnel? Nowhere to be seen.

Transport Questions in House of Commons (28/01/2021)

Craig Whittaker
It is concerning to see, in the local press at least, incredibly negative and biased reporting that the High Speed 2 eastern leg is to be scrapped. Will my hon. Friend confirm whether those reports are true? If so, how does that fit in with his longer-term ambition to improve rail connections in the north?

Andrew Stephenson

My hon. Friend frequently raises his constituents’ concerns, particularly about the Calder Valley line and the need for improvements in local services. He is completely right to raise the importance of major rail infrastructure projects such as the eastern leg of HS2. We are committed to building HS2 phase 2b and to enabling the east midlands, Yorkshire and the north-east to reap the benefits of high-speed rail services. We aim to publish the integrated rail plan early this year, which will set out our plans covering the eastern leg.

camflyer

Heard one of the Swampies being interviewed on the radio earlier. His solution was to scrap HS2 and build a "slow" freight line along the same route. I bet having long, slow and noisy freight trains going through their back yards would be even less popular to the good folk of the Shires.

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
Heard one of the Swampies being interviewed on the radio earlier. His solution was to scrap HS2 and build a "slow" fright line along the same route. I bet having long, slow and noisy freight trains going through their back yards would be even less popular to the good folk of the Shires.
Quite bizarre that they can't get it into their heads that that is effectively exactly what HS2 is doing

Chris NS

Probably not a Pret nearby ;)
That's a harsh description - but I suspect there's some truth in this.

If you really wanted to disrupt the building of HS2, surely you would pick a site where they're laying the rails or something else that's essential. The best they can hope for here is a delayed opening of the new concourse and/pr improved interchanges ot the Underground - neither of which will stop HS2 running.

Which makes me suspect the real motive is an easy place for people who like to imagine themselves eco-warriors can attend and feel good about themselves. Unlike the hard-core protestors who camped out at the Newbury bypass, I suspect this lot won't last five minutes when the Police threaten to move in.

ABB125

Established Member
I hope someone's keeping a note of how much money these protests cost HS2, so that when the inevitable moaning about cost increases occurs, the can say "ah, but £x million was because of attention seekers being removed from worksites*".

*Although I doubt that would be the phrasing used!

camflyer

I hope someone's keeping a note of how much money these protests cost HS2, so that when the inevitable moaning about cost increases occurs, the can say "ah, but £x million was because of attention seekers being removed from worksites*".

*Although I doubt that would be the phrasing used!

It's the way that these kinds of protests work: call for a review/delay in a big project which adds to the costs and then complain about the costs going up. One of the major costs of HS2 is the extensive amounts of tunnelling. It would have been much cheaper just to build it through people's back yards rather than under them.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Transport Questions in House of Commons (28/01/2021)
Note how the Minister conflates HS2 Phase 2b and the Eastern Leg. It would be very easy to take from that statement that the Eastern Leg is still all systems go.

That's a harsh description - but I suspect there's some truth in this.

If you really wanted to disrupt the building of HS2, surely you would pick a site where they're laying the rails or something else that's essential. The best they can hope for here is a delayed opening of the new concourse and/pr improved interchanges ot the Underground - neither of which will stop HS2 running.

Which makes me suspect the real motive is an easy place for people who like to imagine themselves eco-warriors can attend and feel good about themselves. Unlike the hard-core protestors who camped out at the Newbury bypass, I suspect this lot won't last five minutes when the Police threaten to move in.

"Champaign Swampies"..? ;)

SynthD

None of which are happening at the moment.

A14 upgrade? Nowhere to be seen.
Lower Thames Crossing? Nowhere to be seen.
Dundee bypass? Nowhere to be seen.
Stonehenge tunnel? Nowhere to be seen.
Are you saying there’s no building site yet for anyone to physically protest those projects? Or that the protesters aren’t bothering to visit those distant and operational building sites?

To be on topic: is there a map of all active hs2 building sites?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Are you saying there’s no building site yet for anyone to physically protest those projects? Or that the protesters aren’t bothering to visit those distant and operational building sites?

To be on topic: is there a map of all active hs2 building sites?

A14 has been built. Not a peep from the local XR group in spite of them frequently blocking various roads around Cambridge at the time (but not about the A14).

Dundee has just started construction and they're nowhere to be seen.

The other two are projects in development...and not said anything about them.

ABB125

Established Member
A14 has been built. Not a peep from the local XR group in spite of them frequently blocking various roads around Cambridge at the time (but not about the A14).

Dundee has just started construction and they're nowhere to be seen.

The other two are projects in development...and not said anything about them.
The druids seem to have Stonehenge anti-ing covered through... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.