• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born Acorn

A new drone video of the Calvert area has been uploaded by "The Boy" on YouTube today. You can clearly see that aforementioned spur has been started by the HS2 construction team, but also the EWR overbridge is almost ready for lifting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Fascinating to see what a small footprint the GC route had on the landscape around Calvert, compared to the broad, almost motorway land take for HS2.
There's the line maintenance depot to fit in here of course in the NE quadrant, and the HS2 route itself will be in a deep (10m?) cutting over most of the area covered by the drone, with the attendant cutting slopes to fit in.

stuu

Established Member
I asked a question about the land take on another site. Apart from access for construction, they are going to be putting in berms and other landscaping either side of the line to hide it from view. To do this they need to re-engineer the land so that it is stable and won't affect the line in the future. Another reason why it is costing such an enormous sum

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Fascinating to see what a small footprint the GC route had on the landscape around Calvert, compared to the broad, almost motorway land take for HS2.
There's the line maintenance depot to fit in here of course in the NE quadrant, and the HS2 route itself will be in a deep (10m?) cutting over most of the area covered by the drone, with the attendant cutting slopes to fit in.
I think the aerial views showing the construction land take are often quite shocking but far greater than the final width. It’s quite common to have a public road open like here (running north south), a replacement public road under construction thats yet to open, and still more access roads for that road diversion work. And that’s in addition to the access roads for the railway.

The cutting depth along there is quite variable, very little is as much as 10m, most is low single figures. Some of the finished earth moving leaves noise reduction embankments, with the tracks shielded but very near current land level.

I will link to the drawing to save searching:

Last edited:

BrianW

Established Member
Picking up on your 'Avatar' too- amazing how well that 1 in 176ness worked out https://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/great_central.html
I'm pretty sure the Great Central was what was in mind for HS2- might a search of parliamentary or other archives show that?
There has surely been 'growth' (and reduction!) in 'the brief' for HS2, to our cost.

quantinghome

Established Member
The earthwork slopes will be considerably shallower than older railways, which will increase the width of land-take relative to the GCR. But most of the construction area is taken up by temporary works and an unusually large area of landscaping.

Sonik

The earthwork slopes will be considerably shallower than older railways, which will increase the width of land-take relative to the GCR. But most of the construction area is taken up by temporary works and an unusually large area of landscaping.
I find it supremely ironic that 'environmental mitigation' has been the cause of so much unnecessary destruction. Much like excessive tunneling has massively increased the carbon footprint. IMO It reflects a rather superficial attitude to environmental protection that has more to do with politics than conservation. But the landscape will recover in time.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I find it supremely ironic that 'environmental mitigation' has been the cause of so much unnecessary destruction. Much like excessive tunneling has massively increased the carbon footprint. IMO It reflects a rather superficial attitude to environmental protection that has more to do with politics than conservation. But the landscape will recover in time.
Earthwork slope gradients are about preventing landslides rather than protecting the environment. But yes, a lot of environmental protection decisions are much more about political optics than anything else.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The cutting depth along there is quite variable, very little is as much as 10m, most is low single figures. Some of the finished earth moving leaves noise reduction embankments, with the tracks shielded but very near current land level.

Thanks for that, I was looking at the press release which has 11m as the maximum depth of the Mixbury cutting, further north than that at Calvert, which is evidently shallower.
The GC solum (some of it having been expropriated by local farms) also looks slim as it is overgrown and blends into the background.
The EWR route viewed by the drone probably gives a better idea of what the GC route would have looked like during its construction phase in the 1890s.

quantinghome

Established Member
Yes, a lot of it is simply to assuage NIMBYs who don't like trains in the background. Which is odd considering how well railways have integrated into our mental landscape of the English countryside.

As for unnecessary destruction, most of the environmental mitigation involves turning intensely farmed monoculture fields into woodlands and other habitats, which will bring a massive improvement in biodiversity.

The landscape will recover far more quickly than most objectors appreciate. You don't hear anyone complaining about HS1 being a blot on the landscape.

janahan

To add to what others have said, I have seen some photos of the construction of the GC, and although not quite as wide as the current construction for HS2, it was quite wide, especially at junctions, bridges, and cuttings. The main difference is that HS2 does use a lot more heavy machinery, and has its own "roads" to avoid congesting and dirtying local roads, this does increase the footprint too, and also Calvert Junction is where the Depot is located, so again likely to have a much larger footprint, especially with access lines and the depot itself.

As said by others, once done, and re-landscaped, the scar will be considerably narrower, and i suspect would probably still be far less than a motorway (though greater than the original GCML, taking into account the greater loading guage, increase gap between rails for high speed, and space for catenary and less steep earthworks)

Thanks for that, I was looking at the press release which has 11m as the maximum depth of the Mixbury cutting, further north than that at Calvert, which is evidently shallower.
The GC solum (some of it having been expropriated by local farms) also looks slim as it is overgrown and blends into the background.
The EWR route viewed by the drone probably gives a better idea of what the GC route would have looked like during its construction phase in the 1890s.

I dont think you can compare the EWR works with the normal new construction of a line (Hish speed or not), as the permanant way has already existed, and in many cases deemed adequate for the speeds, services to be provided, requiring considerably less earthworks than woudl be required on a completely new line. In places where the new line differs from the original you will see significant earthworks, such as Calvert where EWR goes above HS2 (which runs either level or slightly lower, not sure) which unlike the GC, which ran above the level running Oxford to Bletchly line, as well as at new stations, or re-routed areas.

Yes, a lot of it is simply to assuage NIMBYs who don't like trains in the background. Which is odd considering how well railways have integrated into our mental landscape of the English countryside.
I still remember when the GW was electrified, the complaints about the caternary, and how it will "scar" the landscape, together with artist's impressions with "artistically empasized" catenary! which completely ignoring the much wider scar of the motorway in the same shot!

I think its more a case of if a railway is not of percieved use to them, they dont want it, which is probably just human nature, but i also remember how Milton Keynes residents were objecting to HS2 initially (mainly because it was directly no use to them, as it bypassed their town completely), However, when they realised that it would in all likelyhood increase their own local services, they did quieten up a bit.

Snow1964

Established Member
There is new DfT update

Anyone know why decrease from 11 to 10 platforms and a less complex Euston has taken place
A pressure of £0.4 billion on the cost estimate for the HS2 Euston Station. The move to a smaller, less complex 10-platform single-stage delivery strategy at Euston, as confirmed in my predecessor’s report, is now the basis for ongoing design work and other activities. The department anticipates that this will assist in addressing some of the cost pressure at Euston as the updated station design is developed over the coming months. This work will also consider and address the appropriate level of contingency that should be held to manage risks that are likely to arise during the construction of an asset of this complexity. I will provide further updates as this work progresses over the course of the next 18 months.
Following confirmation of the move to the more efficient 10-platform station design and single-stage build at Euston Station, significant elements of the design work on the original 11-platform station can no longer be used. As the cost of this earlier design work has ceased to be of future benefit to HS2 Ltd, the related costs were reported as an ‘impairment’ in HS2 Ltd’s published annual report and accounts for 2021/22.

Some general updates on what has happened so far
Work continues at pace on phase 1, with several significant developments to report. Across the programme HS2 Ltd report that they have moved 24.4 million m3 of earth, the equivalent of over 9,760 Olympic-size swimming pools’ worth.

The new launching gantry ‘Dominique’ has installed the first decks of the Colne Valley Viaduct, which will be the longest railway bridge in the UK. The viaduct will carry the new high-speed line across a series of lakes and waterways on the north west outskirts of London.

Across the phase 1 route 8.4 miles of tunnel work has been driven so far. Progress has recovered well following an enforced shutdown to investigate and learn lessons from a small tunnel fire that took place in May this year. TBM Dorothy safely completed the first bore under Long Itchington Wood in Warwickshire in July.

Some updates on stations at Solihull, Curzon Street, Old Oak, Euston
At Old Oak Common Station, work continues with the Old Oak Common and Park Royal Development Corporation, the London Mayor and the Department for Levelling Up, Homes and Communities to bring forward proposals for the regeneration of the area around the station.

Stage 1 of the 2-stage design and build contract for Birmingham Curzon Street Station is expected to conclude later this year subject to agreement of an affordable target price.

In July, HS2 Ltd awarded the contract to design and build Interchange Station in Solihull to Laing O’Rourke Delivery Ltd. The contract, worth up to £370 million (in 2022 prices), will see work in two stages to finalise the detailed design and then build the station. HS2 Ltd continues to work collaboratively with private and public sector stakeholders to support the ambitions of the Urban Growth Company and the local authority to realise the economic and social benefits of HS2 and provide up to 30,000 new jobs and 3,000 new homes.

HS2 Ltd continues tendering for phase 1 and 2a rail systems packages (including track, catenary, mechanical and electrical, power, control and communications).

At Euston, HS2 Ltd and its construction partner, Mace Dragados, are continuing to optimise design and construction efficiencies. Work progressing on site includes demolitions, piling of the station box structure, the construction of a relocated London Underground traction sub-station, the creation of a new utility corridor and construction of a new six-storey site accommodation block.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There is new DfT update

Anyone know why decrease from 11 to 10 platforms and a less complex Euston has taken place
“10 platforms” was decided somewhat over a year ago, and had its own dedicated discussion at the time, to avoid derailing this thread :

It‘s stated as decided a few pages into the discussion, quoting the BBC article, but I don’t think anyone ever linked to the source report at the time, it must have been in the October 2021 edition of the 6 monthly statement?

It turns out it’s a fairly short paragraph:

In response to a recommendation from the Oakervee Review about looking into the efficiency of the Euston station, the move to a smaller, simpler 10-platform station design at Euston has now been confirmed, which can be built in a single-stage (instead of an 11-platform, 2-stage build). This will provide a more efficient design and delivery strategy and play a significant role in mitigating the affordability pressures recently identified.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
TBM Caroline was launched today from the West Ruislip site, driving the 8km eastern bore of the Northolt tunnel towards Greenford Way.
It joins TBM Shushila which started up on October 6 driving the western bore, and has already completed 70m (not yet shown in the progress reports).
'Caroline’ will be operated by Skanska Costain STRABAG JV (SCS JV), HS2’s Main Works Civils Contractor constructing the HS2 tunnels in London.
She joins ‘Sushila’ who has already travelled over 70m in the three weeks since launch.

Counting "Dorothy", which has already completed the western bore of Long Itchington tunnel and is about to start on the eastern bore, there are now five active TBMs working on HS2.
There are another five still to start work, four of them from the Victoria Road shaft near Old Oak Common, and one on the Bromford tunnel on the Birmingham branch.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
There is new DfT update

Some general updates on what has happened so far

Some updates on stations at Solihull, Curzon Street, Old Oak, Euston

I see like Crossrail and to a less extent MerseyRail its NR costs that are spiralling the most on percentage increases on the baseline

A pressure of £0.3 billion (increase of £0.1 billion since the last update) against HS2 Ltd’s budget for changes to Network Rail infrastructure at Euston and Old Oak Common that are required to operate the new HS2 stations
and this is before any heavy work has been undertaken at Old Oak yet.

Am still amazed they have not tightened up on opening window still 2029 to 2033 and thats only to Old Oak although is suspect with Crossrail debacle they will hold this until 2028 so they don't get caught out again.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I see like Crossrail and to a less extent MerseyRail its NR costs that are spiralling the most on percentage increases on the baseline

I’m not sure how you reached that conclusion.

and this is before any heavy work has been undertaken at Old Oak yet.

You can’t have been there recently. There is some very, very heavy Civil Engineering underway, indeed much has been done, including the main box diaphragm walls. The main excavation is underway, and you can see the arisings at the ex Willesden Freightliner terminal. It’s also held programme for the last year.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's still relatively early days, and I have no insight into the detailed plans, but the more I look at the HS2 project, the more the Old Oak Common station project looks like being on the critical path.
There seems such a complex build to do, both underground for HS2 and on the surface for the GWML station, and HS2 is useless without both halves of the station being finished on time.
The tunnels and viaducts tend to get all the publicity, but OOC seems the crux of the whole thing now that Euston itself is a detached project.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It's still relatively early days, and I have no insight into the detailed plans, but the more I look at the HS2 project, the more the Old Oak Common station project looks like being on the critical path.
There seems such a complex build to do, both underground for HS2 and on the surface for the GWML station, and HS2 is useless without both halves of the station being finished on time.
The tunnels and viaducts tend to get all the publicity, but OOC seems the crux of the whole thing now that Euston itself is a detached project.

OOC is motoring along nicely now. But it is a huge job, not least because of all the work on the GWML.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I’m not sure how you reached that conclusion.
NR's original notice had an estimated cost of £100-200m for old common railway systems work to enable new station being built by HS2 but NR reporting in this update of £300m additional cost risk to works at Old Oak and Euston but limited railway systems work at Euston. Thats on top of the £100m extra reported six months previously.

https://www.find-tender.service.gov.uk/Notice/024152-2021

Crossrail NR works blew out from 2.3B to nearly 3B over the life of the project albeit there was scope creep in there over station designs.

You can’t have been there recently. There is some very, very heavy Civil Engineering underway, indeed much has been done, including the main box diaphragm walls. The main excavation is underway, and you can see the arisings at the ex Willesden Freightliner terminal. It’s also held programme for the last year.
I mean the NR infrastructure changes to facilitate the new station on the classic lines not HS2 construction costs.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
NR's original notice had an estimated cost of £100-200m for old common railway systems work to enable new station being built by HS2 but NR reporting in this update of £300m additional cost risk to works at Old Oak and Euston but limited railway systems work at Euston. Thats on top of the £100m extra reported six months previously.

https://www.find-tender.service.gov.uk/Notice/024152-2021

Crossrail NR works blew out from 2.3B to nearly 3B over the life of the project albeit there was scope creep in there over station designs.

I mean the NR infrastructure changes to facilitate the new station on the classic lines not HS2 construction costs.

Fair enough, but the big cost is all in the HS2 station.

Fazaar1889

New video from HS2. Installing the support walls for the Victoria Road Crossover Box. I think the animation at the end of the video is new, not sure if I've seen it before tbh

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
HS2 Chief Exec Mark Thurston had an evidence session with the Transport Select Committee today (link to video below).
The whole thing is over 2 hours but starts with the environmental aspects at 0930, then moves on to HS2 progress at 1016 until 1140.

Some comments on the session:
A more interesting and focussed session than normal for the TSC, with only a small amount of local lobbying by members.
Mark Thurston (HS2) and Clive Maxwell (DfT) give a pretty good account of the project status, though Thurston is in danger of "knowing too much".
Some pointed questions about the impact on landowners en route (flooding, trespass etc), and the Woodland Trust is still very hostile.
They don't expect Phase 1/2a to be impacted by the budget crisis, but who knows.
29,000 people working om HS2 contracts at 350 sites are impressive statistics.
While there was plenty of discussion about costs and inflation, all the published figures are in 2019 money, so give no real idea what the real outturn will be after a decade of cost inflation, regardless of any construction problems.

The side questions indicated that no meaningful work is going on on either the eastern leg, or alternatives to the Golborne leg.
There is no view as to how HS2 trains will reach Leeds - East Midlands Parkway is the limit of planning work at the moment.

In separate news, the first Chiltern TBM has passed the 7km mark (out of 16km).

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The scale is just astonishing, particularly as 10 miles of it is in tunnel.
Maybe in 2 years' time it will look more like a railway and less of a broad scar across the countryside.
Mark Thurston said this week that the weather, with the long dry spell, had been kind to them so far - let's hope that continues.

Edit:
HS2 Ltd has updated the position of TBM Shushila, which started boring the 8km Northolt tunnel from West Ruislip towards Greenford Way on Oct 6.
It's now (Nov 7) at 156m from the portal, so the TBM train is now wholly inside the tunnel it is boring.
Speed has picked up to about 8m/day.

No mention of the second Northolt TBM Caroline which started on Oct 27, nor is this TBM yet shown on the In Your Area map.

Last edited:

nbdm

The scale is just astonishing, particularly as 10 miles of it is in tunnel.
Maybe in 2 years' time it will look more like a railway and less of a broad scar across the countryside.
Mark Thurston said this week that the weather, with the long dry spell, had been kind to them so far - let's hope that continues.

Edit:
HS2 Ltd has updated the position of TBM Shushila, which started boring the 8km Northolt tunnel from West Ruislip towards Greenford Way on Oct 6.
It's now (Nov 7) at 156m from the portal, so the TBM train is now wholly inside the tunnel it is boring.
Speed has picked up to about 8m/day.

No mention of the second Northolt TBM Caroline which started on Oct 27, nor is this TBM yet shown on the In Your Area map.
From looking at the data behind the map, the second Northolt TBM Caroline appears to have completed 11m since launch.

I think it is not visible on the map standalone because the coordinates for both Northolt TBMs are set to identical values (therefore both TBM markers are actually at the same map position) & the description texts are almost copy-paste, with just the distances & name different.
I imagine someone will fix it fairly soon when they realise.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
My, that’s a big one. I just hope it gets used on other projects too.

It already has been - it was used for the construction of a spectacular motorway interchange in Hong Kong.

I’d be fascinated to know how it was transported to here, and in particular the journey from port to the Herts / Bucks borders.

Status
Not open for further replies.