• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 cycleway

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
It looks like the government is looking again at providing a cycleway alongside HS2 again by asking contractors to repurpose their access roads to do so:

HS2 | Contractors to turn temporary roads into 320km cycle path​

A new 320km walking and cycle path will be created out of the temporary access roads used during the construction of HS2.

In order to build the high speed rail line through the English countryside, temporary roads must be built all along it for the workers to access the site. In his last Parliamentary report, rail minister Andrew Stephenson said he has asked HS2 Ltd to look into repurposing these roads into walking and cycling schemes, which can then be conjoined with other local pathways to create one super footpath. Stephenson says this would “provide a wider active travel network along the spine of HS2”.
The plan is to create a 3m-wide cycle path adjacent to a 2.5m-wide footpath, separated by a grass verge. It will run in parallel to the HS2 track but be separated from it by some distance.

Work is already underway on the first 80km stretch of the path, known as the Buckinghamshire Greenway. It begins at the Colne Valley, just below the Chiltern Hills – an area of outstanding natural beauty – and runs to Stowe, just north of Buckingham, via Waddesdon Manor near Aylesbury.

The funding for the project is likely to come from the government’s £2bn cycling and walking budget, rather than from HS2’s budget. However, The Sunday Times reports that a Downing Street has not yet fully approved the scheme as it is unconvinced whether it will be popular.

A feasibility study for the project was commissioned in 2013 and the final report, co-authored by Royal HaskoningDHV, Phil Jones Associates (PJA) and John Grimshaw and Associates, was published in 2016. PJA chairman Phil Jones said: “The whole is greater than the parts. You could build a hundred cycling schemes in a hundred towns, but by linking them together it becomes something more substantial.”

The feasibility report outlines multiple benefits of the greenway, stating: “Such a network [of cycleways] would create a project of national significance and would serve as both a valuable benefit to local communities as well as encouraging a wide range of leisure and tourism activities

Such a facility could then serve as a catalyst for greatly improved cycling infrastructure nationwide to a level that is seen in the likes of the Netherlands; and would bring the associated health and economic benefits to the communities that it serves.”

If the full 320km path from London to Manchester is completed it will become one of the country’s longest trails, almost as long as the Pennine Way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic

Established Member
Not sure how feasible this is as haul roads do not extend the full length of the route and there are no powers to keep them after construction is finished. That is a new set of planning permissions will be needed.

Skie

Sounds like a good idea, but what about the tunnelled sections? Can’t possibly be the full length of the route if you have huge gaps where the tunnels required no access paths.

I guess that’s where the £2b cycling fund could help, by joining the gaps up.

adamedwards

The cycling fund is not new money so the risk is this project takes money off other routes. And assumes it actually happens as cancelled before to save money.

dm1

It is insanity that the cycleway was cancelled in the first place. Cycle infrastructure in general has a very high CBR, and it's also really cheap!

It also has the nice side effect of placating NIMBYs slightly, by giving those living along the line something that is directly benificial to them rather than passing through completely without stopping.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A very good suggestion. But the cycleways could be very boring if they followed the hs alignment exactly.

I'm more thinking that it would be quite unpleasant with the racket of a 400km/h train belting past your ear about 20 times an hour. If the roads are there, yes, open them as cycleways, but I doubt many will use them.

If we want to actually improve peoples' lot with cycleways, they should be provided alongside all main roads, for instance.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Not sure how feasible this is as haul roads do not extend the full length of the route and there are no powers to keep them after construction is finished. That is a new set of planning permissions will be needed.
I guess it wasn't included in the Hybrid Bill?
I'm more thinking that it would be quite unpleasant with the racket of a 400km/h train belting past your ear about 20 times an hour. If the roads are there, yes, open them as cycleways, but I doubt many will use them.

If we want to actually improve peoples' lot with cycleways, they should be provided alongside all main roads, for instance.
I think I'd prefer a 400km/h train quite a few metres away behind a fence, rather than a main road that will be much closer and producing at least as much noise and much more pollution.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think I'd prefer a 400km/h train quite a few metres away behind a fence, rather than a main road that will be much closer and producing at least as much noise and much more pollution.

I guess you've never stood on Bletchley platform as a Pendolino went through at 125! It's far worse than any traffic, it almost sends you flying with the gust of wind.

Now roughly double that speed...

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I guess you've never stood on Bletchley platform as a Pendolino went through at 125! It's far worse than any traffic, it almost sends you flying with the gust of wind.

The cycleway wouldn't be that close to the track.

Trainbike46

Established Member

But hopefully the hs2 cyclepath would be somewhat further away from the tracks (at least most of the time), and have fencing between it and the railway for safety purposes, so the effect would be less than in Bletchley

gordonthemoron

Established Member
The trouble with building a cycle path alongside HS2, is that it will generally be in the middle of nowhere, not much use for going to the shops, doctors, pub etc

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The trouble with building a cycle path alongside HS2, is that it will generally be in the middle of nowhere, not much use for going to the shops, doctors, pub etc

It will certainly be more of a leisure facility than a transport facility, but if it's just repurposing access roads then it's near enough free so we might as well.

TheBigD

Established Member
It will be nice for cyclists to be able to cycle to Birmingham 20 minutes quicker...

Being serious, it looks like a good plan. Would certainlybecome a popular route and a welcome addition to the cycle network.
I would cycle over the whole length at some point if/when completed. It will be a decent one/two day route.

This part of the scheme sounds promising, though i suspect a lot of walkers will still be on the cycle part.
The plan is to create a 3m-wide cycle path adjacent to a 2.5m-wide footpath, separated by a grass verge.
The cycle/foot path alongside the Cambridge-St Ives guided busway is certainly popular, indeed too popular sometimes making cycling difficult amongst all the bloody sunday walkers!

Falcon1200

Established Member
It will be nice for cyclists to be able to cycle to Birmingham 20 minutes quicker...

It's not about speed, it's to relieve congestion on the Grand Union Canal towpath......

But it is an interesting idea, although as mentioned it will need to be a decent distance away from the line. Hopefully dog walkers will be banned from it !

PeterC

Established Member
It will certainly be more of a leisure facility than a transport facility, but if it's just repurposing access roads then it's near enough free so we might as well.
It serves no transport need so fine as long as it comes out of sport funding rather than transport.

samulih

Just look at OS map where the walking paths sometimes are, middle of nowhere.

And tunnels are going under something like a forest which already has paths or London, which already has cycleways...

deltic

Established Member
I guess it wasn't included in the Hybrid Bill?
No - DfT talked about it at the time but no-one seemed to have much interest in progressing it. The same with creating a digital backbone along the corridor that was also proposed and went no-where.

lachlan

Just look at OS map where the walking paths sometimes are, middle of nowhere.

And tunnels are going under something like a forest which already has paths or London, which already has cycleways...
Talking of tunnels, did the original path proposal include paths through the tunnels? I very much doubt they would allow the cycle path to share a tunnel with HS2

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I would cycle over the whole length at some point if/when completed. It will be a decent one/two day route.

presumably it will only run from Gt Missenden to Crewe. In which case a day tops, (assuming a paved surface).

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
The original HS2 cycleway plan had some interesting sections (eg the Misbourne Greenway) but in toto was rather underwhelming, all rather piecemeal and opportunistic - a bit like a 1999-design long distance National Cycle Network route.

The haul road plan is more promising if properly linked into existing trails (towpaths, existing cycleways on former trackbeds, etc). What we don’t yet have in the UK is a predominantly traffic-free long distance cycle trail like those that follow the Loire, Rhine, Danube etc: this could be an opportunity to provide one.

NoRoute

The article mentions this HS2 cycleway might be funded from the central cycling and walking budget, which if true is frankly a shocking waste of public money.

There's so many towns and cities where the cycling infrastructure is zero or close to zero and a little bit of targeted investment into some dedicated cycleways could make a huge different to getting around, in areas where there's a high population density and making short journeys by bike is practical, yet they get nothing and instead the government is considering a huge cycleway through the middle of nowhere. A baby white elephant.

P Binnersley

The Monsal Trail and the Tissington Trails go through the "middle of nowhere" and are very popular. HS2 passes near several towns which could be accessed via country lanes. The route also crosses a number of existing cycle routes (Coventry-Warwick, Rugby-Leamington, Milton Keynes-Oxford, Oxford-Chesham).

trebor79

Established Member
Nah, they're horrible. You just spend your ride gulping down huge clouds of exhaust fumes. Never struck me as particularly good for ones health. Also quite costly to do.
What they should be dong is promoting the back lanes for cyclists to use, often no greater distance than the main route, far more pleasant to ride and zero cost. I often see folk riding to our local town along the main road which is very busy, has blind bends and isn't all that wide for passing. Always lots of accidents too. Completely insane when there are backroads that run parallel to it, where you'd be unlucky to see a single motor vehicle during your ride.

Trainbike46

Established Member
The article mentions this HS2 cycleway might be funded from the central cycling and walking budget, which if true is frankly a shocking waste of public money.

There's so many towns and cities where the cycling infrastructure is zero or close to zero and a little bit of targeted investment into some dedicated cycleways could make a huge different to getting around, in areas where there's a high population density and making short journeys by bike is practical, yet they get nothing and instead the government is considering a huge cycleway through the middle of nowhere. A baby white elephant.
While I absolutely agree that there has been way too little investment in active transport in towns across the country, the current government has provided a lot of option for local authorities to request funding for active travel, unfortunately not all councils have requested any, and some that did have spent some of the money very unwisely

stuu

Established Member
As a reasonably keen cyclist, I'm not sure about this. The section between Aylesbury and ~Leamington is fairly empty by English standards, and is full of very quiet country lanes. The nicest section through the Chilterns is obviously in tunnel so this doesn't work there.

Also as has already been mentioned, high speed rail is very noisy. I stopped at an Aire on the motorway between Paris and Lille once, where LGV Nord is parallel, the noise is much more like being at the end of a runway than next to a conventional railway. I don't think that happening up to 34 times an hour would make for the most enjoyable ride.

There is definitely some merit in using segments to link together other quieter routes, and maybe Leamington to Birmingham interchange would make sense, but not the whole route IMHO.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Nah, they're horrible. You just spend your ride gulping down huge clouds of exhaust fumes. Never struck me as particularly good for ones health. Also quite costly to do.
What they should be dong is promoting the back lanes for cyclists to use, often no greater distance than the main route, far more pleasant to ride and zero cost. I often see folk riding to our local town along the main road which is very busy, has blind bends and isn't all that wide for passing. Always lots of accidents too. Completely insane when there are backroads that run parallel to it, where you'd be unlucky to see a single motor vehicle during your ride.

Often there aren't back roads. For Bletchley to Buckingham, for instance, the only option that doesn't involve a few miles on the A421 or A422 involves a very long and rather hilly detour via Winslow. A Redway style cycle lane on those bits of the 421 and 422 would work wonders. There are plenty of examples like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.