• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 Project Update, January 2024

Fazaar1889

HS2 Project Update, January 2024​

New project update video. There were some new clips of the various cuttings which was nice, we usually don't see them much. They also mentioned that the trains will go 225mph (~360 kph) I thought they had reduced it down to 330kph?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
New project update video. There were some new clips of the various cuttings which was nice, we usually don't see them much. They also mentioned that the trains will go 225mph (~360 kph) I thought they had reduced it down to 330kph?
I don’t think it was ever reduced to 330, if I remember correctly it was 360kph maximum, 330kph average.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The construction spec won't have changed, but the railway system spec is still to be confirmed when the installation contracts are placed (track, OHLE, signalling etc).
Speed will be lower in the London tunnels and on the Birmingham branch.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Good overview of the scale of the works and tell us how well they are progressing but no confidence in pinning down any key dates though.

cuemaster

Still no explanation as to why the Northolt West TBMs have been stopped for many weeks.
I think they said each TBM had achieved 2 miles unless I misheard which is more than what is showing on the HS2 website. If thats the case that’s welcome news.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think they said each TBM had achieved 2 miles unless I misheard which is more than what is showing on the HS2 website. If thats the case that’s welcome news.
There's an update on the Northolt West TBMs for December buried in the Hillingdon HS2 progress reports.
The TBMs are currently undergoing routine maintenance whilst they are within our South Ruislip Vent Shaft site (behind the Victoria Retail Park). See the map overleaf for key dates (under the current programme) and locations once tunnelling is resumed.

The map then shows that the TBMs were supposed to resume tunnelling on December 8 (Shushila) and 14 (Caroline).
(With no tunnelling over the December 22-January 3 holiday break).

However, the December 19 update on the TBM progress map did not indicate any progress since the long maintenance period started.
Hopefully this week will see some positive progress by these TBMs.

bib

Just posting this here as it is the nearest I've seen to an end-to end site video and covers a lot of bits of the route that are otherwise largely unremarkable and not documented. Covers about 50 miles from Missenden to Kenilworth.

Flying Phil

Established Member
It certainly shows the scale of the work. It also shows how small it is in respect of the rest of the countryside around, and this is at its most disruptive.

Fazaar1889

Just posting this here as it is the nearest I've seen to an end-to end site video and covers a lot of bits of the route that are otherwise largely unremarkable and not documented. Covers about 50 miles from Missenden to Kenilworth.
Why does the chipping warden tunnel exist?? It looks like it's cutting through a car park or something.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Why does the chipping warden tunnel exist?? It looks like it's cutting through a car park or something.
I think it’s to avoid having an absolutely massive cutting at the west end, the vertical profile diagram suggests it would be about 25m deep, which would presumably mean a very wide cutting if the slopes are about a 3:1 ratio

I think what you’re seeing as a car park is the disused Chipping Warden airfield that is used for storing new and used cars.

Below the map on this HS2 page you can see the track height (red) and land height (green) profiles:

Fazaar1889

I think it’s to avoid having an absolutely massive cutting at the west end, the vertical profile diagram suggests it would be about 25m deep, which would presumably mean a very wide cutting if the slopes are about a 3:1 ratio

I think what you’re seeing as a car park is the disused Chipping Warden airfield that is used for storing new and used cars.

Below the map on this HS2 page you can see the track height (red) and land height (green) profiles:

Ah makes sense. A tunnel is genuinely needed. Thanks

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Great video! Is it yours?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Looks like a lot of water on certain sections

zwk500

Veteran Member

I notice it's described as a 'green tunnel' on the plan - which usually indicates it's a conscious decision to tunnel and the plan certainly suggests that with a bit more vertical elevation approaching the escarpment it didn't *have* to be a tunnel - but then again the locals wanted it out of sight.

Benjwri

Established Member
I notice it's described as a 'green tunnel' on the plan - which usually indicates it's a conscious decision to tunnel and the plan certainly suggests that with a bit more vertical elevation approaching the escarpment it didn't *have* to be a tunnel - but then again the locals wanted it out of sight.
A green tunnel is also built by excavating to the tunnel level, then putting cast sections in place. So that massive cutting will have to be at least partially excavated, and then filled in again.

zwk500

Veteran Member
A green tunnel is also built by excavating to the tunnel level, then putting cast sections in place. So that massive cutting will have to be at least partially excavated, and then filled in again.
I don't think it's a particular requirement for Green Tunnels to be built as cut-and-cover. Difficult to tell from that plan if it will be though (it could be, as a tunnel that short would be expensive to bore).

Benjwri

Established Member
I don't think it's a particular requirement for Green Tunnels to be built as cut-and-cover. Difficult to tell from that plan if it will be though (it could be, as a tunnel that short would be expensive to bore).
It’s not a requirement to be, but in HS2’s case any tunnel they refer to as one is built like that.

stuving

This is what HS2 say about green tunnels:

Green Tunnels​

Over half of the route between London and the West Midlands will be in tunnels or cuttings, helping to reduce the visual impacts in the landscape.
Some of our tunnels will created by Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) while others will be built using the cut-and-cover method of construction with trees and shrubs then planted on top. This is why they’re known as ‘green tunnels’.
This is a simple method of construction for shallow tunnels and we’re building these to help reduce the impact on people and nature.
Five cut and cover, or ‘green’ tunnels will be built on the first phase of HS2 between London and the West Midlands.
The more you think about that, the less sense it makes!

Geezertronic

Established Member
Birmingham Road by Coleshill now has a nice dog-leg in it as the road has been diverted to allow HS2 work to be done. This road is closed from next week again so it will be interesting to see what they are doing next. Traffic is a nightmare in that area when either Birmingham Road or Coleshill Heath Road is closed though as both are diversion routes for the other

Established Member
Moscow - St Petersburg had the Tsar's finger for 100 years. In fairness, avoiding Andrea Leadsom is a absolute requirement.