• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 TBM Progress

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There was an expectation that the Northolt East TBMs would be named today, prior to them starting work at the Victoria Road shaft, but I haven't see an announcement yet.
There's usually a media scrum and some government involvement in such things, but I imagine DfT ministers will suddenly have found themselves too busy to attend.

The Bromfield TBM Mary Ann position at 534m looks right now; it was showing 80m or 98m since October 3, implying it had gone backwards since the 324m of September 26 was posted.
Overall it has done about 5m/day over 12 weeks since startup.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fazaar1889

New TBM names released. Are these from OOC to West Ruislip? Can someone show me where they enter and exit on google maps or something? Like, send me the route or coordinates? Cos I'm not sure what part of the route is gonna be underground...

HS2’s next tunnelling machine names revealed​

cuemaster

New TBM names released. Are these from OOC to West Ruislip? Can someone show me where they enter and exit on google maps or something? Like, send me the route or coordinates? Cos I'm not sure what part of the route is gonna be underground...
Yes from OOC to Greenford.
From West Ruislip into London, its all underground and these 2 new TBM's will work there way westwards from Old Oak common and meet up with the Sushila and Caroline TBM's (currently working their way southwards from West Ruislip) halfway at Green Park Way, Greenford AIUI.

mr_jrt

Established Member
Please could someone remind me why they needed to do these drives from both directions rather than just waiting until the existing Northolt TBMs reach the Victoria Rd. crossover box? Unless there were different ground conditions better suited to different types of TBM, it always felt a little extravagant in such a long project.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
This is the second pair of TBMs boring the 13.5km Northolt Tunnel under the alignment of the GW/GC Old Oak-West Ruislip line (actually a little to the east of it).
The northern pair, Shushila and Caroline, are one year and almost 3km into their drives and have reached the South Ruislip vent shaft.
They will bore 8km up to the Green Park Way shaft (close to Greenford station), and be lifted out there in about year.
For the next several months they will be boring under the Northolt Jn complex of surface lines and adjacent industrial sites.

The new pair, Emily and Anne, will bore 5.5km from Victoria Road (close to OOC) to Green Park Way, where they will also be lifted out in a year or so,
So the whole tunnel, including an eastern extension into the OOC station site, should be finished early in 2025.
It's slightly confusing that the Northolt Tunnel sections are called Northolt West (from West Ruislip), and Northolt East (from Victoria Road).

You can find the location of the access shafts on Google Maps, though some of the sites are not labelled yet.
The launch shaft at Victoria Road is opposite North Acton LU station. (51.524, W0.258)
The exit shaft at Green Park Way is in Rockware Avenue, opposite the main line triangle of surface lines south of Greenford station. (N51.540, W0.336)
There are three other intermediate vent shafts - South Ruislip, Mandeville Road and Westgate, all to the east of the surface railway
- South Ruislip shaft is in a patch of waste ground north of the Cineworld retail complex. (N51.558, W0.403)
- Mandeville Road shaft is just south of where it crosses the surface railway, close to Northolt station. (N51.548, W0.365)
- The Westgate vent shaft is marked as such and is just south of where the River Brent goes under the surface railway. (N51.532, W0.302)

Last edited:

Fazaar1889

Please could someone remind me why they needed to do these drives from both directions rather than just waiting until the existing Northolt TBMs reach the Victoria Rd. crossover box? Unless there were different ground conditions better suited to different types of TBM, it always felt a little extravagant in such a long project.
Thanks
Other than this and the tunnel to Euston, which remaining Tunnels need to be bored? Also, which are completed and which are boring?

snowball

Established Member
Also, which are completed and which are boring?
I think the only substantially completed tunnels are the two bores at Long Itchington Wood. Finishing work is probably still going on there but the TBM, Dorothy, which did them in turn, will be used again for one of the Bromford bores.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think is was just so that the tunnelling would broadly finish at the same time.
It would take a single pair of TBMs another year to bore the eastern tunnel, and that section appeared to be on the critical path for HS2 overall, which it still is really.
The Northolt West pair also had problems for much of their first year, and worked close to dense urban property.
Both pairs of TBMs still have to navigate close to residential property.
Thanks
Other than this and the tunnel to Euston, which remaining Tunnels need to be bored? Also, which are completed and which are boring?
If you add the lengths up, there's 50km of twin-bore tunnels, or 100km of single bore.
So far they have bored 37-ish km of the 100, 28 of them in the Chiltern tunnel.

Long Itchington (1.6km of dual bores) is finished.
Chiltern (16km) is 85% finished, Northolt East (8km) is 35% done, Bromford (5.5km) has just started, Northolt East (5.5km)and Euston (8km) are not started.
Ignoring the rogue TBM boring the short logistics tunnel at OOC (needed to serve the Euston TBMs if/when they start), there are currently 5 TBM's at work.
Three more will start up over the next few months, making 8 at work until Chiltern finishes early next year.
The remaining 6 will keep going until completion probably in early 2025.
Then there's the Euston tunnels and its two TBMs; who knows what will happen there.

Fazaar1889

Long Itchington (1.6km of dual bores) is finished.
Chiltern (16km) is 85% finished, Northolt East (8km) is 35% done, Bromford (5.5km) has just started, Northolt East (5.5km)and Euston (8km) are not started.
Ignoring the rogue TBM boring the short logistics tunnel at OOC (needed to serve the Euston TBMs if/when they start), there are currently 5 TBM's at work.
Three more will start up over the next few months, making 8 at work until Chiltern finishes early next year.
The remaining 6 will keep going until completion probably in early 2025.
Great! Thanks!
Then there's the Euston tunnels and its two TBMs; who knows what will happen there.
God knows man, I truly think that Euston will be built earlier than current reports tho, I think it will be abundantly clear that it needs to be built.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Some weekly updates to report:

Chiltern (Oct 23-30):
Florence 14051m (+152m), Cecilia 13710m (+144m).
So Florence has got past the 14km mark, and both TBMs continue to make good progress towards the Chesham Road shaft at 14.5km.

Northolt West:
A little odd: no update for Shushila, so presumably still stopped at the South Ruislip shaft (2915m).
On Oct 27 Caroline was at 2895m, +70m since Oct 20, and still catching up with Shushila now only 20m ahead.

And at Bromford (Oct 23-30):
Mary Ann is at 642m (+108m), so a good 15m/day.

Edit Nov 6:
As of 1100 today, no TBMs are shown on the HS2 In Your Area Map. :?:

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The TBMs are back on the map!

As of November 6 (since October 30):
Bromford: Mary Ann: 754m (+112m).
Chiltern: Florence: 14209m (+158), Cecilia: 13862m (+152m).

Good progress all round, 16-22m/day.

Edit: November 13:
More good progress from the Chiltern TBMs (Nov 6-13):
Florence 14387m (+178m), Cecilia 14053m (+191m).

So both doing better than 25m/day.
At this rate Florence should reach the Chesham Road shaft by next week.

Edit November 14:
Bromford (Nov 6-14): Mary Ann: 872m (+118m).
Good progress of 15m/day.

Edit November 20:
Chiltern:
Florence 14541m (+154m), Cecilia 14222m (+179m).

Florence must now, give or take, be at the Chesham Road shaft, so will probably pause for a bit.
Cecilia is about 2 weeks behind.

Last edited:

Geogregor

Lydia is doing rather slow progress with the logistics tunnel.

I guess they are not in a rush there...

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Lydia is doing rather slow progress with the logistics tunnel.
I guess they are not in a rush there...
I think it still has to complete before the station at OOC can be fully built.
But they can probably take their time over installing the Euston Tunnel TBMs!

cuemaster

A sinkhole has appeared above tunnelling that Florence has just passed through in Hyde Heath. The sinkhole appears much smaller than the one that occurred near Amersham in the spring. Tunnelling seems to be continuing as normal. It must be concerning to owners of properties situated above the works.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The vast majority of the HS2 route in the northern section of the Chiltern Tunnel is below open fields.
There are a few isolated properties where the tunnel crosses under the minor roads in the area, Hyde Lane being one.
King's Lane, north of the Chesham Road shaft, appears to be the only other area of potential difficulty before they reach the northern portal.

The Northolt Tunnel, which also had sinkhole problems early on, is due to run below largely industrial sites on the east side of the old GW railway route, but is still only 50m or so from residential property at times.

cuemaster

Good to see that chiltern TBM Florence has now arrived at the final ventilation shaft, progress is 29m per day for the last 2 weeks. 14959m completed and only 1041m to the north portal.
Cecilia is a bit behind at 14526m and 21m per day.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
TBMs Emily and Anne were blessed by a priest on the Patron Saint of Tunnellers day. Just did some research and it turns out it's the feast day of St Barbara. I didn't realise there were such traditions in the railway industry but I guess it's to be expected. Nice to see HS2 taking people's beliefs into consideration.

Strictly speaking, it‘s a tradition of the tunnelling industry!

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Good to see that chiltern TBM Florence has now arrived at the final ventilation shaft, progress is 29m per day for the last 2 weeks. 14959m completed and only 1041m to the north portal.
Cecilia is a bit behind at 14526m and 21m per day.
Good for Chiltern, but there must be issues with the Northolt TBMs.
Shushila has been at the same point for 8 weeks, and Caroline, almost having caught up, for 5.

Geogregor

but there must be issues with the Northolt TBMs.
Shushila has been at the same point for 8 weeks, and Caroline, almost having caught up, for 5.

It might be issue with reporting. It was not always perfect in the past.

But there might be a real problem, they are vary quiet about this section of tunnels. Hardly any official update or news releases, at least comparing with some other elements of construction.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
TBMs Emily and Anne were blessed by a priest on the Patron Saint of Tunnellers day. Just did some research and it turns out it's the feast day of St Barbara. I didn't realise there were such traditions in the railway industry but I guess it's to be expected. Nice to see HS2 taking people's beliefs into consideration.
Beyond tunneling, Saint Barbara is the patron saint of many professions where workers face the risk of sudden and violent death in the workplace, especially those who work with explosives.

She is also the patron saint of various military branches including artillery and military engineering for this reason.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Beyond tunneling, Saint Barbara is the patron saint of many professions where workers face the risk of sudden and violent death in the workplace, especially those who work with explosives.

It is also the patron saint of various military branches including artillery and military engineering for this reason.
And, for some reason, according to her wikipedia page, mathematicians!

Fazaar1889

It is also the patron saint of various military branches including artillery and military engineering for this reason.
Interesting! Thank you!

cuemaster

HS2 have released an update on the tunnelling in Hillingdon area.

Tunnels construction update
The tunnels’ route broadly follow the London Underground Central Line and the Chiltern Mainline. Since both tunnel boring machines (TBMs) were launched from the West Ruislip Portal site in autumn 2022, activities supporting tunnelling works at the Portal are ongoing. These include removing excavated material, supplying materials and maintaining tunnelling equipment.

The TBMs are currently undergoing routine maintenance whilst they are within our South Ruislip Vent Shaft site (behind the Victoria Retail Park). See the map overleaf for key dates (under the current programme) and locations once tunnelling is resumed.

Seperately Lydia TBM for the logistics tunnel between Atlas Road and Old Oak Common updated for 23rd November and has completed 637m, with 216m to go. I think it was mentioned that the target was end of year so looks like to meet that goal.

Geogregor

HS2 have released an update on the tunnelling in Hillingdon area.

Tunnels construction update
The tunnels’ route broadly follow the London Underground Central Line and the Chiltern Mainline. Since both tunnel boring machines (TBMs) were launched from the West Ruislip Portal site in autumn 2022, activities supporting tunnelling works at the Portal are ongoing. These include removing excavated material, supplying materials and maintaining tunnelling equipment.

The TBMs are currently undergoing routine maintenance whilst they are within our South Ruislip Vent Shaft site (behind the Victoria Retail Park). See the map overleaf for key dates (under the current programme) and locations once tunnelling is resumed.

Seperately Lydia TBM for the logistics tunnel between Atlas Road and Old Oak Common updated for 23rd November and has completed 637m, with 216m to go. I think it was mentioned that the target was end of year so looks like to meet that goal.

So it looks like Sushila will resume on 8th December and Caroline on 14 December.

But they will both stop again for Christmas, between 22 December and 03 January. I guess it will be the same with all the TBMs.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
That's really a defensive update on the Northolt TBMs.
No progress means no excavated material to deal with or tunnel segments to be fed in.
A lot of maintenance is needed, presumably.
Lydia looks on course to finish its smaller tunnel this month, so that will clear the way for the Euston tunnel work to start at OOC.

At Bromford, Mary Ann posted 1108m on December 4, going at over 20m/day for the first time.
There was also an expectation that one of the Northolt East TBMs would start up imminently, and that Dorothy would begin work on its third tunnel bore at Bromford before year end.

MartinaLooksAt

Uhh I didn't mean to imply that the 2nd Bromford TBM had launched, only that Mary Ann was underway and that the 2nd TBM had arrived. Unless you're going by the footage itself in which case you know more than me.