• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 TBM Progress

Benjwri

Established Member
It's possible the new sinkholes near Frith Hill have slowed Florence's progress to the portal, though the location is rather vague from the media reports.
If you zoom in on the HS2 location map it shows the two TBMs straddling Frith Hill road.
Ahh yes, that's very possible. The sinkholes are (from some google maps detection work from the images) about here. Seems to be just over Cecilia and Florence is a fair way past.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 11.51.32.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

absolutelymilk

Established Member
TBM Emily has started tunnelling the 3.4 mile Northolt East tunnel. Anne to follow next month

HS2’s London tunnels programme has pushed forward today as the third tunnel boring machine (TBM) constructing the Northolt Tunnel was launched.

TBM Emily, named after Emily Sophia Taylor who helped establish the Perivale Maternity Hospital in 1937 before becoming Ealing’s first female mayor in 1938, will bore 3.4miles under Ealing from Victoria Road Crossover Box to Greenpark Way in Greenford.
HS2 launches third giant tunnelling machine

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
That's a good spot, the HS2 web site is normally dormant at weekends.
Emily hasn't appeared on the construction works map yet.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Fascinating. The Chiltern TBM update tomorrow (usually on a Monday) will be interesting.
The two "rings" in the field behind the portals (at 0.20-40s at the start of the video) are the sinkholes reported last week.
Apart from the tunnel portals and viaduct construction it still doesn't look much like a railway.
I wonder if the startup of Emily and the completion of Florence's drive are linked (with TBM teams transferred).
Maybe the same will happen with Cecilia and Ann next month.

Edit Feb 26:
According to the HS2 construction map, today's update says that Florence has 20m still to go!
It's at 16040m (+16m on last week).
Cecilia is at 15865m (+122m), with 195m to go., moving at 17m/day.

Mary Ann at Bromford is also now updated at 1690m (+150m since Feb 6), so moving at 7.5m/day.

Last edited:

stuving

Florence is through.
HS2 have announced today (via BBC South Today at lunchtime) for Florence's breakthrough. I did wonder, looking at the video, why the cutterhead was just behind the retaining wall face. I guess that wall broke up before it was meant to, possibly because Florence didn't quite stop in time.

So, if HS2 need to show a breakthrough on video, how will they do that? Quickly build a new one? Edit in footage from previous breakthroughs?

Grimsby town

HS2 have announced today (via BBC South Today at lunchtime) for Florence's breakthrough. I did wonder, looking at the video, why the cutterhead was just behind the retaining wall face. I guess that wall broke up before it was meant to, possibly because Florence didn't quite stop in time.

So, if HS2 need to show a breakthrough on video, how will they do that? Quickly build a new one? Edit in footage from previous breakthroughs?
It was actually just a painted mural of the TBM cutter head. From the drone it was difficult tell that but when you see its a pristine blue colour and compare that to the actual TBM breakthrough, it's pretty obvious. Still it fooled me.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I don't think the pictures show the Rail Minister and HS2 Ltd top brass in attendance, but it must have been a coordinated event with quotes and seemingly all the TBM's several crews in attendance - a real orange army.
From what I can see the tunnel was completed ahead of schedule, which was planned for 3 years at 15m/day.
Florence actually took 1020 days (2y9m) at an average of 15.75m/day.
Cecilia should improve on that, as it started 6 weeks later and has about 2 weeks to go.
I should think HS2 Ltd will be well pleased with this as it's one of the most significant construction tasks completed in good order.
Presumably the logistics of the cross-passage construction (they were quoted as being past the half-way point recently) will be simpler now they have access from both portals.
We don't know the costs of course, and there's the blot of four sinkholes to account for.
I see Simon Jenkins is today again demanding the whole thing be scrapped and the money redistributed elsewhere.

Last edited:

Trainbike46

Established Member
I don't think the pictures show the Rail Minister and HS2 Ltd top brass in attendance, but it must have been a coordinated event with quotes and seemingly all the TBM's several crews in attendance - a real orange army.
From what I can see the tunnel was completed ahead of schedule, which was planned for 3 years at 15m/day.
Florence actually took 1020 days (2y9m) at an average of 15.75m/day.
Cecilia should improve on that, as it started 6 weeks later and has about 2 weeks to go.
I should think HS2 Ltd will be well pleased with this as it's one of the most significant construction tasks completed in good order.
Presumably the logistics of the cross-passage construction (they were quoted as being past the half-way point recently) will be simpler now they have access from both portals.
We don't know the costs of course, and there's the blot of four sinkholes to account for.
Sounds like mostly good news!
I see Simon Jenkins is today again demanding the whole thing be scrapped and the money redistributed elsewhere.
Unsurprising, Simon Jenkins seems to have an uncanny ability to always call for the worst possible option no matter the issue, often unhindered by any factual knowledge of the subject.

Last edited:

stuving

It was actually just a painted mural of the TBM cutter head. From the drone it was difficult tell that but when you see its a pristine blue colour and compare that to the actual TBM breakthrough, it's pretty obvious. Still it fooled me.
Obviously you're right, all Florence's face paint got scratched off ages ago, so the blue we see must be Muriel. But comparing the video above with HS2's, the dark ring around that looks similar, so that part of the breakthrough did happen in advance. But then "breakthrough" here is not just an engineering process, it's a stage-managed event.

Yindee8191

Maybe some of the money ‘saved’ from the northern leg should be spent on taking Simon Jenkins on a minibus tour of the HS2 works so far and asking him exactly what he proposes to do with everything after cancelling it. Maybe he could meet a few of the skilled workers who’ve been provided with jobs because of it too.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Today's (Mar 4) update for Cecilia shows it at 15967m (+102m in the last week), so only 93m to go to finish off the Chiltern tunnels.
No update from Northolt for 2 weeks, and "Emily", which started on Northolt East on Feb 27, has not yet been put on the TBM map graphic.

Edit March 5:
Update today for the Northolt West TBMs (2 weeks from Feb 20):
Shushila is at 4220m (+266m), Caroline at 3812m (+325m).
These are very good rates (19-23m/day) so they are moving well.
Shushila has just passed below the flyunder from Marylebone (down line) south of Northolt Jn.

Last edited:

cuemaster

Also HS2 website have confirmed earlier today the launch of the second Bromford tbm in Birmingham called Elizabeth, after Dame Elizabeth Cadbury. A 3.5 mile bore westwards towards Washwood Heath. So all Birmingham tbms have launched. Good news!

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Also HS2 website have confirmed earlier today the launch of the second Bromford tbm in Birmingham called Elizabeth, after Dame Elizabeth Cadbury.
Rebuilt from Dorothy who had previously done both bores at Long Itchington Wood.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Do we know how the tunnel segments reach the eastern portal site?
They are manufactured in Avonmouth but I have not seen any reference to how they reach the tunnel bore at Water Orton.
Is rail being used or do they travel by road up the M5/M42?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Do we know how the tunnel segments reach the eastern portal site?
They are manufactured in Avonmouth but I have not seen any reference to how they reach the tunnel bore at Water Orton.
Is rail being used or do they travel by road up the M5/M42?
When you asked this last year the answer was the road network.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
TBM Emily, boring the 5.5km Northolt East tunnel from the Victoria Road access shaft near OOC, now appears on the progress graphic.
It is reported at 70m today (March 8), after 12 days work.
TBM Elizabeth (the former Dorothy), which started its drive this week at Bromford, does not yet appear on the map.

The TBM with the least distance to completion (excepting Cecilia which is about to finish the Chiltern tunnel) is Shushila at Northolt West which has 3.6km to go to Greenford Way.

Edit Mar 11:
Looks like Cecilia is now into its slow final approach to the Chiltern north portal.
Reported today at 15987m, just 20m more than a week ago, and with 73m to go.
I think we can expect breakthrough this month, at least.

Edit Mar 12:
And now we have Mary Ann at Bromford reported at 1844m, +154m since Feb 26 so a decent 10/day.
No sign of Elizabeth yet on the map graphic (started up on Mar 5).

Edit Mar 17:
The Northolt TBM positions were updated for Mar 15, for 10 days from Mar 5:
Shushila was at 4370m (+150m), and Caroline was at 4019m (+207m).
These two are maintaining their improved rate of progress.
Shushila will now bore near to private property east of the surface railway south of Northolt Jn, while Caroline is below the large recycling centre between the Marylebone and Old Oak Common lines.

Emily, which recently started up from Victoria Road, is now at 149m (+79m since Mar 8), so moving faster than usual for a startup.
The whole TBM pantechnicon should now be inside the tunnel from the launch shaft.
The next event will be the startup of the adjacent Anne TBM from Victoria Road.

Edit Mar 18:
Today's update for Cecilia says it is at 16021m (+24m since Mar 11), with only 39m to go to break through at the Chiltern north portal.
It could happen any day now.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
TBM Cecilia broke through at the northern portal of the Chiltern tunnel today.
Its 16.06km drive took 994 days (26 fewer than Florence) at an average of 16.12m/day.
The second giant boring machine (TBM) building HS2 under the Chiltern Hills broke through at the tunnel’s northern portal late this afternoon, completing a journey that began in June 2021.
Named Cecilia, the TBM has driven for 10 miles underground to join twin sister machine – Florence. She arrived at the site near the Buckinghamshire town of Wendover on 27 February, after completing her adjacent tunnel drive.
Between them, the two 2,000 tonne machines have built the twin bore tunnel at depths of up to 80 metres and excavated three million cubic metres of chalk. Each machine operates like an underground factory, able to excavate the tunnels and line them with 56,000 pre-cast concrete tunnel segments, grouting them into place and moving forward at an average speed of 16 metres per day.

There will still be cross-passage work going on in the tunnels to link the two bores together, at 500m intervals.

Vilhelm22

TBM Cecilia broke through at the northern portal of the Chiltern tunnel today.
Its 16.06km drive took 994 days (26 fewer than Florence) at an average of 16.12m/day.

There will still be cross-passage work going on in the tunnels to link the two bores together, at 500m intervals.
Glad to see they're done with the major tunnels now that both TBMs are through. Coming from someone completely uneducated on the matter but with parents living in Great Missenden, what happens now? Will tracklaying happen shortly or is that still a way off? How long is the cross-passage work expected to take?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Glad to see they're done with the major tunnels now that both TBMs are through. Coming from someone completely uneducated on the matter but with parents living in Great Missenden, what happens now? Will tracklaying happen shortly or is that still a way off? How long is the cross-passage work expected to take?
I think the cross-passages are well past the half-way point.

I was just looking at the project milestones of two years ago, and they have slipped to the right significantly.
None of the railway infrastructure delivery contracts have been let yet, and they are more than a year late on the original schedule.
Of course the Euston end, beyond OOC, is delayed indefinitely until a new design is agreed and funded.
I expect HS2 Ltd is still struggling to adapt to the new scope for the project.
The intention was to let railway contracts for Phase 1 and 2a combined, but that's out of the window now.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Welcome to the forum by the way.

hwl

Established Member
Will tracklaying happen shortly or is that still a way off?
Track laying is still a long way off.
Track gets in the way of other tasks so you hold off for a long as possible. e.g. complete all civils first.
The future track alignment also provides and excellent temporary roadway.
How long is the cross-passage work expected to take?
TBM dismantling will take a while. Beyond the cross passages the connection to the ventilation /escape shaft need finishing , the temporary utilities in the tunnels need recovering (electricity, slurry system pipes, ventilation) and full fit out of the tunnels with permanent utilities (lighting, non traction power) and emergency walkways so plenty to do

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
If I've got my sums right, the HS2 TBMs have now bored 45.5 km of the job west of the OOC complex, which is 62.3% of the eventual 73 km of tunnel.
If you add the delayed Euston tunnels to this, the present total is 52% of the eventual 87.3 km.
The 1km or so through the OOC area will not need TBM excavation.

TBM Emily is now at 176m from its start, +27m in the last week.
The priority now is probably the launch of Anne, the final Northolt TBM, from Victoria Road.

Geogregor

TBM Emily is now at 176m from its start, +27m in the last week.
The priority now is probably the launch of Anne, the final Northolt TBM, from Victoria Road.

It looks like good coordination, crews from Chiltern TBMs can move to Northolt tunnels.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It looks like good coordination, crews from Chiltern TBMs can move to Northolt tunnels.
The crunch will come in about a year's time when HS2 Ltd wants to move the Northolt (West) crews, who will have finished their drive to Greenford Way, to the Euston TBMs ready to go at the east end of OOC - if the DfT is serious about reaching Euston.

Edit:
Another update today on the Northolt West TBMs for 7 days up to Mar 22:
Shushila is at 4373m (+3m), and Caroline is at 4116m (+97m).
So Shushila is practically stopped, while Caroline is still moving steadily (14m/day).

Edit Mar 25:
First update for Mary Ann at Bromford since Mar 12:
It is at 1976m (+132m), so continuing to move at around 10m/day.
Progress appears to be consistently slower than the Chiltern TBMs achieved.
We also know TBM Elizabeth (ex-Dorothy) started up on March 5, but there is no update on progress yet and it is not on the progress map graphic.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
An update today for the Northolt West TBMs (2 weeks since Mar 25):
Shushila is at 4546m (+173m), Caroline at 4306m (+190m).
So both are moving steadily at around 12-14m/day.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
An update today for the Northolt West TBMs (2 weeks since Mar 25):
Shushila is at 4546m (+173m), Caroline at 4306m (+190m).
So both are moving steadily at around 12-14m/day.
Not bad - presumably there was a pause or at least slowdown over Easter?