• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2: Why do we need it?

Junctionman

On Moderation
Morning all ,

well i think i understand now and so as not to cause any issues i think it might be a good idea in the immortal words of the Beatles to `let it be` now

thanks all for all your replies

enjoy your Sunday lunches everyone

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Could it not be though that for HS2, the trains like many modern buses will be able to adjust their height such that with the HS2 platforms they become level boarding trains?
As per previous discussions (I’m sure you have raised this ’idea’ before), it’s not a feature that has been specified for any new build British rolling stock. And I’d be interested to see if any train builder has proposed such a technology.

Route115?

I think that the trouble with HS2 is that there was an strong element of 'lets go faster than the French' about it and that as a consequence it was over engineered. A second problem is that it is very London centric. Encouraging growth in London may be good from an environmental perspectice (Londoners are less likely to own a car and to travel more by public transport) but fails from a political perspective. HS2 is (unlike the Northern Powerhouse) actually not that good for levelling up - better spending the money on regional routes. It also only benefits intermediate stations indirectly by removing some traffic. The trouble is that most operators actually increased intermediate stops on services making them slower, but this has been more than offset by increased traffic at these stations. (Maybe the solution would have been to engineer HS2 so that freight trains could have been run on it at night releasing capacity on the conventional network). Most regional centres as served by loops off HS2 which limits improvements to non-London journeys.

I'm not sure that Birmingham Curzon St is in the right place - you could I suppose build a link to New St (and Moor St) but it would have been better to build a tunnel under New St - more expensive but worth it. (There is a similar problem at Stratford International.)

I think that there is a confusion between generalised journey time and speed. The former includes interchange and waiting time. The Swiss network is a really good example of a network designed to minimise GJT but it is not a high speed network.

There is a danger that schemes like this can be built around out of town parkways. (Look at the French TGV network.) This is difficult for non motorists (an increasing proportion of the young) but also for inbound journeys generally (unless you build new towns around them as has happened in Japan). Certainly a parkway in the Tyseley area would have been sub-optimal. The increase in access time would have offset the faster journey time.

There are certainly good uses for £100bn, but I would have prefered to see it spent on upgrading the existing network and then going for a Swiss style integrated network. I'm sorry to say that I forecast an underused HS2 and overcrowded conventional network (as long as the industry gets its act together) in the future.

Now, where is my flak jacket?

Benjwri

Established Member
ICE3 sets (25m 8 car) are about 40 million German marks or £17.582m per set, giving £949.428m for HS2. Velaros can already do 360kph, they just get uprated from 8MW to 8.8MW.
I wouldn’t say using the ICE3 (DB403) is a fair example, given that is in 1990s prices and a currency which is very had to convert and account for changes in the value of the pound since the . The new ICE3 order cost €500million for 15 sets, which would translate to €1.8billion for 54 sets, or £1.55billion, likely higher per unit because of the small order, but again in 2008 prices.

The most comparible train type is undeniably the ICE3neo. This cost €1.5 billion for 43 sets, translated to 54 sets for HS2 this is bang on £1.62 billion. This is a very similar train set, procured at a similar time, from the same manufacturer.
And level boarding can be achieved at TSI compliant platform heights, which incidentally includes (in the UK) 915mm - where level boarding is in operation every day in Greater Anglia. High speed trainsets with floor levels as low as 400mm above railhead have been ins revive for nigh on three decades (TGV Duplex).
As far as I am aware, and I am happy to be corrected here, the only bidder for the rolling stock contract capable of providing a floor below 1000mm was Talgo. Every other rolling stop provider does not have a family with floor height anywhere near TSI platform height. Without limiting the bidders to Talgo, and therefore increasing cost through lack of competition, or getting an entirely new train designed at extortionate cost. Greater Anglia manages 915mm, but the flirt family cannot go above 200kmh, it’s also worth remembering that 915mm platforms are also not TSI compliant. I admit the TGVs have low floors, however this is because they have power cars and therefore no traction motors are needed under the rest of the cars. No major rolling stock providers offer power cars. As far as I can see level boarding is extremely difficult to achieve, if not impossible with current train designs, with a TSI platform height.

Indeed, the politically imposed requirement for very large scale conventional running has crippled the scheme from the beginning.
Although large scale conventional running, allowing the vast majority of HS trains to be taken off conventional lines in the South without reducing services to stations in the North that were never on HS2 is what allows for the greater capacity increases which were hoped to be achieved.

Last edited:

Fazaar1889

HS2 is (unlike the Northern Powerhouse) actually not that good for levelling up - better spending the money on regional routes.
Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't the northern legs allow for more local and regional trains in and around the north? I know the npr would be great for east West routes but hs2 would help with north south toured between Birmingham and Liverpool, and for Sheffield to Leeds, right?

A0wen

On Moderation
That’s fair but he is the likely to be PM, and given Rishi Sunak has been able to block HS2, he can too.

That's a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of how the political system works in this country. The PM does not have "absolute" power to scrap things on a whim as you're inferring. There will have been multiple options worked up by the Civil Service on whether to proceed, pause, stop along with the associated costs / benefits of each. Even if full cabinet hadn't made the decision at the very least it would have been a decision between the PM, Treasury and portfolio holder - transport sec in this case.

This incessant "personalisation" of politics where it's said to be one person's decision is really unhelpful and merely propogates an ignorance of how political systems actually work.

Junctionman

On Moderation
When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me

Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be

Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

:D
:D:D

HSTEd

Veteran Member
As far as I am aware, and I am happy to be corrected here, the only bidder for the rolling stock contract capable of providing a floor below 1000mm was Talgo.
Because a floor height under 1000mm wasn't in the specification.
You can't use the bids to determine what is possible in an engineering sense because they won't offer something HS2 specifically did not want.
Greater Anglia manages 915mm, but the flirt family cannot go above 200kmh, it’s also worth remembering that 915mm platforms are also not TSI compliant.
They are, because 915mm is permitted by the TSI for platforms in Great Britain. Or at least it was before Brexit, I have no idea if it is still in the standard. The whole court case, that HS2 squandered large amounts of public money on before Brexit, was about HS2's desire to have its own standard platform height that was not either of the normal TSI authorised ones or 915mm.

I admit the TGVs have low floors, however this is because they have power cars and therefore no traction motors are needed under the rest of the cars. No major rolling stock providers offer power cars. As far as I can see level boarding is extremely difficult to achieve, if not impossible with current train designs, with a TSI platform height.
Are Talgo and Alstom not major rolling stock providers?
That's a hell of a statement to make!

Although large scale conventional running, allowing the vast majority of HS trains to be taken off conventional lines in the South without reducing services to stations in the North that were never on HS2 is what allows for the greater capacity increases which were hoped to be achieved.
Whilst the classic compatible services were heavily emphasised in the marketing materials for HS2, they only represented a portion of the capacity that the line would use. It is likely that the bulk of the passengers and savings would be obtained by a self contained Shinkansen style line.
18 trains per hour, 9 were outright captive to the system (3 each to Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds) with another one only marginally non captive (it got to York about 15km beyond the projected end of line). Many of the rest would be heavily trafficked by captive passengers and cross platform interchanges could have been provided at the termini of the line pending extensions. See the Relay Tsubame in Japan.

It would fundamentally be a very different scheme, but it would still have achieved enormous benefits compared to the status quo.

Last edited:

Benjwri

Established Member
Because a floor height under 1000mm wasn't in the specification.
You can't use the bids to determine what is possible in an engineering sense because they won't offer something HS2 specifically did not want.
I was also referring to the standard floor heights of the majority of high speed families currently in production, I did manage to miss Alstom in my list, however that still leaves only Alstom and Talgo, no other rolling stock operator would be able to provide a 750mm, or even 915mm floor without significant adjustments, which would effectively equal a redesign of the trains.

HS2 at least has claimed to have had correspondence with manuafcturers who said they were unlikely to be able to lower floor heights further.
They are, because 915mm is permitted by the TSI for platforms in Great Britain. Or at least it was before Brexit, I have no idea if it is still in the standard. The whole court case, that HS2 squandered large amounts of public money on before Brexit, was about HS2's desire to have its own standard platform height that was not either of the normal TSI authorised ones or 915mm.
915mm was a exception from the TSI which was specifically granted to the UK because of historical factors, it wasn't that unreasonable to assume they could get a similar exemption for HS2, 915mm was a strech which would've significantly increased cost, and there isn't any advantage to 915mm over 1115mm, not one that would be worth the significant potential extra cost. It was wrong to spend money on the court case, however the initial decision to not allow a 1115mm platform was based on an EU desire for trains to run through from Europe, which although the point of the TSI, fails to acknowledge if HS2 had been forced to go with a 915mm platform height EU trains would still have the same issues. Some might also say that a TSI platform height of 1115 would have had significant benefits for the rest of Mainland Europe, given the amount of high speed trains which have been, or are on order, such as the ICE, Eurostar etc, which have significantly higher floor heights than platforms at the moment.

6Gman

Established Member
Morning all ,

well i think i understand now and so as not to cause any issues i think it might be a good idea in the immortal words of the Beatles to `let it be` now

thanks all for all your replies

enjoy your Sunday lunches everyone
I would like to add one observation, that - in my opinion - yes there were good economic and capacity reasons for HS2 but I fear there was also a vanity element. As someone on here I think commented "We must go faster than the French" !

The project's early days were in the era of Blairite optimism and Adonis trying to make a mark and I think this has meant the scheme gained a degree of gold-plating it didn't really need.

RobShipway

Established Member
As per previous discussions (I’m sure you have raised this ’idea’ before), it’s not a feature that has been specified for any new build British rolling stock. And I’d be interested to see if any train builder has proposed such a technology.
I have not found any such proposal by any train builder, the closest I have come is the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_platform_height

It states the following with regards platform heights:

The standard height for platforms in the United Kingdom is 915 mm (36.02 in) with a margin of ± 25 mm (0.98 in).[14][24] On the Heathrow Express the platform height is specified at 1,100 mm (43.3 in) .[25]

High Speed 2 is being built with a platform height of 1,115 mm (43.9 in), which does not conform to the European Union technical standards for interoperability for high-speed rail (EU Directive 96/48/EC).[26] This is to provide true step free access to trains at the new HS2 stations, which is not possible using European Standards or UK standard heights. HS2 trains will operate outside of the HS2 line using existing infrastructure, which will not be step free.[27] High Speed 1 has a platform height of 760 mm (29.9 in) on its international platforms.[28] The Great Western Main Line, North London Line, Gospel Oak to Barking Line and Great Eastern Main Line platforms will be mixture of 760 mm (29.9 in) (for intercity trains) and 1,100 mm (43.3 in) (for London commuter trains).

My concern though is that the disabled maybe able to walk on the HS2 trains at HS2 built platforms, but at other stations, they would have to wait for train guard/station staff to be providing a ramp to get off the train. This should not be the case in the 21st Century and in such situations passengers have been forgotten. This is despite the article https://www.rssb.co.uk/about-rssb/k...gap-with-lower-train-floors-and-sliding-steps that states that the size of the gap is important.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I was also referring to the standard floor heights of the majority of high speed families currently in production, I did manage to miss Alstom in my list, however that still leaves only Alstom and Talgo, no other rolling stock operator would be able to provide a 750mm, or even 915mm floor without significant adjustments, which would effectively equal a redesign of the trains.
And they had to redesign the trains anyway to fit into the British loading gauge!

HS2 at least has claimed to have had correspondence with manuafcturers who said they were unlikely to be able to lower floor heights further.

I expect that they responded in this manner because HS2 forbade a power car based solution in the specification.

If there are two manufacturers who can bid, then you can certainly have a competition for rolling stock.
If noone else wants to bid we shouldn't cripple the railway to help them.
915mm was a exception from the TSI which was specifically granted to the UK because of historical factors, it wasn't that unreasonable to assume they could get a similar exemption for HS2, 915mm was a strech which would've significantly increased cost, and there isn't any advantage to 915mm over 1115mm, not one that would be worth the significant potential extra cost.
915mm has a major advantage, it is the same height used on essentially every other platform in the UK as standard.
If a level boarding solution could (either now or lateR) be developed for HS2 trains then it would allow classic compatible trains to be level boarding throughout.

Now, because of this decision by HS2, HS2 trains will never have level boarding at non HS2 dedicated platforms. Which given the utter failure of the scheme will be virtually all of the platforms they call at.
To make the procurement easier today, they have crippled the railway forever.
Rather strange decision for a railway that claims to place such an emphasis on classic compatible services.

It was wrong to spend money on the court case, however the initial decision to not allow a 1115mm platform was based on an EU desire for trains to run through from Europe, which although the point of the TSI, fails to acknowledge if HS2 had been forced to go with a 915mm platform height EU trains would still have the same issues. Some might also say that a TSI platform height of 1115 would have had significant benefits for the rest of Mainland Europe, given the amount of high speed trains which have been, or are on order, such as the ICE, Eurostar etc, which have significantly higher floor heights than platforms at the moment.
More likely it was more about the precedent that if HS2 can just have whatever platform height they wanted then the TSI standard would collapse.
HS2 initiating an unwinnable court action against the EU is just part of a pattern of insane and schizophrenic behaviour.

This, the attempt to design tunnels far smaller than international norms, complete with huge and unprecedented 100m tunnel hoods, the list goes on and on. How about proposals for alternative solutions to theirs being rejected using the argument that the project design guide (that HS2 wrote!) forbade them rather than on their merits.

The impression it gives is not flattering in the least.

Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
It is important to remember that the world was a very different place when HS2 was first proposed.

Technology has advanced rapidly since then, particularly mobile phones and tele-conferencing. Even back then, it was only going to be a matter of time before work adapted to changing technology, and blew a hole in the premium business travel and commuting markets. HS2 was in a race against time to get built before that happened, and it has lost the race. In this regard the impact of Covid crammed about a decade's worth of that adaptation to technological change into a much shorter period, and it has left HS2 far behind.

The very poor economic growth since the financial crisis has not helped, putting greater pressure on public finances. Now the resurgence of inflation is also having an adverse impact. Neither of these were expected when HS2 was first proposed. HS2 planners are likely to have assumed a return to growth>2%, and inflation<2% being maintained. It would be interesting to know if the project was ever stress tested against assumptions of negligible growth for more than a decade and inflation reaching 10%.

D365

Veteran Member
I have not found any such proposal by any train builder, the closest I have come is the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_platform_height

It states the following with regards platform heights:

The standard height for platforms in the United Kingdom is 915 mm (36.02 in) with a margin of ± 25 mm (0.98 in).[14][24] On the Heathrow Express the platform height is specified at 1,100 mm (43.3 in) .[25]

High Speed 2 is being built with a platform height of 1,115 mm (43.9 in), which does not conform to the European Union technical standards for interoperability for high-speed rail (EU Directive 96/48/EC).[26] This is to provide true step free access to trains at the new HS2 stations, which is not possible using European Standards or UK standard heights. HS2 trains will operate outside of the HS2 line using existing infrastructure, which will not be step free.[27] High Speed 1 has a platform height of 760 mm (29.9 in) on its international platforms.[28] The Great Western Main Line, North London Line, Gospel Oak to Barking Line and Great Eastern Main Line platforms will be mixture of 760 mm (29.9 in) (for intercity trains) and 1,100 mm (43.3 in) (for London commuter trains).
So I’m not sure what you are proposing here. True step-free access won’t be possible unless HS2 provides dedicated platforms on the existing network.

Benjwri

Established Member
And they had to redesign the trains anyway to fit into the British loading gauge!
Redesigning the overall size, which is usually just a slimming down of the passenger compartments, is a lot easier than slimming down underfloor equipment, and would probably mean a ground up redesign, given the current traction motors would not fit.
In addition, I expect that they responded in this manner because HS2 forbade a power car based solution in the specification.
I could never tell if a power car solution was forbidden, if it was that does exclude Alstom's High Speed family entirely.

More likely it was more about the precedent that if HS2 can just have whatever platform height they wanted then the TSI standard would collapse.
HS2 initiating an unwinnable court action against the EU is just part of a pattern of insane and schizophrenic behaviour.
Court action was not the right course. I would point out though that this isn't a HS2 specific problem. HS2 platform heights had to be specified in 2016 for design to begin. In 2022, 6 years later, there was still not a solution for low floor High Speed trains, with Deutsche Bahn looking into solutions for its next generation of ICE. Fast forward to 2024 and a solution still has not been found without a power car. The issue is that we currently cannot shrink a wheelset small enough (below 1050mm) to allow an axle weight high enough to allow traction motors in a carriage, as I understand it. That fundamentally limits the floor heights of a high speed train, and makes level boarding at either a UK 915mm or TSI 750mm platform height impossible.

Much of the EU documentation on why the TSI decision was made states as a primary factor interoperability, and effectively says step free access is not needed with ramps and lifts. Given the limitations I have mentioned above, and as I mentioned in my previous comment it's fairly ridiculaous the EU doesn't add a higher platform hight to the TSI to account for accessibility, and this is likely the assumption HS2 made when first asking.
This, the attempt to design tunnels far smaller than international norms, complete with huge and unprecedented 100m tunnel hoods, the list goes on and on.
The impression it gives is of a design team in love with their own genius and with a (perceived) blank cheque to spend whatever they want without consequence.
There are limits to what I can comment on with this, what I can say is every tunnel has to undergo rigorous design regardless of similarities to other tunnels, there is always a reason behind design decisions based on the priorities of a client. The hoods are large but so to deal with an exponentially increasing phenomenon with speed, which is difficult to model.

No design team has been given some kind of unlimited 'blank cheque' to spend as much as they want, far from it.

RobShipway

Established Member
So I’m not sure what you are proposing here. True step-free access won’t be possible unless HS2 provides dedicated platforms on the existing network.
I am proposing that either the trains are such that the carriages can lower themselves to have step free access at none HS2 stations or that the builders of HS2 should be forced to build the HS2 station platforms at the same height as any other station within the UK.

Benjwri

Established Member
I am proposing that either the trains are such that the carriages can lower themselves to have step free access at none HS2 stations or that the builders of HS2 should be forced to build the HS2 station platforms at the same height as any other station within the UK.
As I've explained above though, within the constraints of a non power car high speed train, it is not physically possible to have the train floor at 915mm, due to the required diameter of a wheelset on these trains, and therefore it is a simple choice of level boarding at HS2 stations, or no level boarding at all.

SynthD

I think that the trouble with HS2 is that there was a strong element of 'let’s go faster than the French' about it and that as a consequence it was over engineered.
HS2 asked the French, Japanese and other high speed rail builders what they wished they had done. The most common answer was they later realised the line should have been built to a higher speed.
Maybe the solution would have been to engineer HS2 so that freight trains could have been run on it at night releasing capacity on the conventional network
Maintenance is at night, that is unavoidable. The conventional network doesn’t need relief at nights, in the areas it is running at that time of day.

Fazaar1889

What is wrong in increasing rail travel between the largest two cities in England?
Nothing....?? I didn't imply that was wrong, it is wrong tho to leave out the rest of the UK's major cities, preventing an increase in local and regional trains in those regions as well. The benefit has decreased but there is still benedft, albeit only between Birmingham and London.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
As I've explained above though, within the constraints of a non power car high speed train, it is not physically possible to have the train floor at 915mm, due to the required diameter of a wheelset on these trains, and therefore it is a simple choice of level boarding at HS2 stations, or no level boarding at all.
A choice between no level boarding for now, and level boarding at HS2 stations and not anywhere else forever.

Or you know, buying a power car solution.

It's interesting, though, that AGV power bogies apparently fit under TGV Duplex trailers, given that this was done for that speed record test a few years ago.
The difficulties are mostly likely in sticking the transformer somewhere.

EDIT:

When a 760mm floor level boarding high speed rail solution inevitably arrives, which it will, we will be stuck with a far inferior solution to everyone else for the rest of time.

Last edited:

MarkyT

Established Member
My concern though is that the disabled maybe able to walk on the HS2 trains at HS2 built platforms, but at other stations, they would have to wait for train guard/station staff to be providing a ramp to get off the train. This should not be the case in the 21st Century and in such situations passengers have been forgotten. This is despite the article https://www.rssb.co.uk/about-rssb/k...gap-with-lower-train-floors-and-sliding-steps that states that the size of the gap is important.
The proportion of new compared to classic platforms planned to be served by HS2 trains has also reduced somewhat recently!

The supplier limitation on lower floor trains was very real but a result of other requirements in the specs. HS2 insisted on distributed power; the shinkansen model with every car motored. The problem is, especially for high-power trains, you can't get a powered bogie under a floor lower than the traditional coach solebar height, pretty much the same the world over on mainlines regardless of local platform height. That wasn't a concern in Japan on all new infrastructure not shared with anything else but is an an important consideration in Europe because the common continuous low floor technique has the floor pass between the tops of the wheels of traditional axles in wheel boxes, and motors and gearboxes in the space prevent that.

The new Talgo Avril is the only 360kph equipment available 'off the shelf' today with 750mm level boarding throughout. In series production now, it took a long time to be accepted by initial operators in Spain, but should be in service this year. Talgo's split axle design on trailers could theoretically allow a ~550mm floor to pass between wheels if a customer wanted that, so ~915 for UK should be easily possible in a UK car body reprofiling exercise and their shorter cars could allow a slight widening over traditional longer IC cars even within the diminutive British loading gauge.

Alstoms TGV-M configuration of the Avelia product for SNCF takes a different approach with level boarding at 550mm to a door lobby from which steps or a turntable lift can deliver the passenger down to the lower saloon, even lower than the platform. Steps also lead to the deck above, but there is no way through at door lobby height to the adjacent car, maybe because at that height you're not comfortably over the traditional solid axle wheelset used on the articulated bogies. This probably could allow some of the passenger car bogies to be motored if desired in an 'AGV -style' distributed fashion, but Alstom, like Talgo, seems to be promoting the overall weight, complexity, ease of maintenance, and reliability as well as cost benefits of the more centralised power car approach. This is used on Alstoms TGV-Ms and the related Avelia Liberty trains delivered to Amtrak in recent years (also suffering delayed introduction).

Although not yet into the 'true' high-speed league, Stadler have produced the 250kph RABe 501 'Giruno' train for SBB following similar principles demonstrated in their FLIRT series of trains. Low 550mm floors (with some 750mm sections and doors, possibly for future through running to Germany) ramp up slightly at car ends to pass between wheels and over the axles of unpowered articulated bogies. While there are no cars wholly dedicated to traction purposes in this design there are a limited number of 'power equipment clusters' at driving ends and some intermediate locations with traction bogies beneath short traditional height floor sections; otherwise, the rest of the train is continuously lower floor although ramped in places rather than continuously level.

In 2023, DB announced an order for 56 'ICE-L' trains from Talgo along with a much smaller batch of 17 latest Velaro neos from Siemens. Note the L stands for level boarding and I think the order split is a real challenge to their traditional lead supplier. Germany is otherwise steadily improving its level boarding game across the network and its disappointing there hasn't been a high speed product so far that can match the 750mm standard platform height common at most larger stations.

As to Hs2, that's a nice rail network you've got there. Would be a shame if it got locked into 1100mm+ platforms for generations just as the level boarding revolution takes off all over Europe.

There's time to change this. No new platforms have been completed yet and no new trains constructed.

RobShipway

Established Member
Yeah, thanks Benjwri. It just means that those building both HS2 and the trains from Hitachi/Alstom are again not thinking about the disabled. Although, as @MarkyT states above, Trains operators around Europe are only just thinking about disabled people as well. Maybe someone should remind these companies, that within the next 10 - 20 years, there is going to be more in the age range 70 plus years old, than there is young people being able to travel on their trains. How are the train operators going to have a income if they are not thinking about the elderly and disabled?

On Moderation
In 2023, DB announced an order for 56 'ICE-L' trains from Talgo along with a much smaller batch of 17 latest Velaro neos from Siemens. Note the L stands for level boarding and I think the order split is a real challenge to their traditional lead supplier. Germany is otherwise steadily improving its level boarding game across the network and its disappointing there hasn't been a high speed product so far that can match the 750mm standard platform height common at most larger stations.
You're being selective with the quantities. The ICE-L was a 100-train framework contract and the 56 ordered was the exercising of an option on top of the original 23 ordered. The Velaro (ICE3neo) order was the final 17 options out of a 30+60 options contract from 2020; after the inital 30, DB exercised the option for a further 43 in 2022, then called off the final 17, so all 90 have been ordered.

Those trains are also for completely different duties. The ICE3neos are 320km/h high speed units, the ICE-L is a 230km/h loco-hauled replacement. The interesting part is that DB went for ICE-L rather than, say, a Vectron+Viaggio Comfort (RailJet-type) solution. History/time will show whether DB have made the right call, particularly around buying the ICE-L locos from Talgo.

MarkyT

Established Member
You're being selective with the quantities. The ICE-L was a 100-train framework contract and the 56 ordered was the exercising of an option on top of the original 23 ordered. The Velaro (ICE3neo) order was the final 17 options out of a 30+60 options contract from 2020; after the inital 30, DB exercised the option for a further 43 in 2022, then called off the final 17, so all 90 have been ordered.

Those trains are also for completely different duties. The ICE3neos are 320km/h high speed units, the ICE-L is a 230km/h loco-hauled replacement. The interesting part is that DB went for ICE-L rather than, say, a Vectron+Viaggio Comfort (RailJet-type) solution. History/time will show whether DB have made the right call, particularly around buying the ICE-L locos from Talgo.
The two batches were announced together in the article I read so it was certainly easy to read things into it, or maybe it was a deliberate spin. I can't see DB ordering any Avrils yet until they have a few years service under their belts in Spain and DB know what the ICE-Ls are really like in performance and quality. At this time I realise the new Velaros are the only option realistically for those highest speed duties and I didn't realise the order announced was a remaining option on a previous contract. I think longer-term, Siemens is going to have to consider how they respond to the level boarding challenge for high speed as it seems other European manufacturers are all moving in that direction. Siemens are having to offer it on lower speed trains now just like all the others. The next generation HS designs from Siemens and DB should be very interesting. I'd lay money on the discussions already focusing heavily on level boarding at 760mm. Conventional hauled coaches with bogies rather than Talgo split axle or more traditional jacobs articulation ought to be fairly practical with 760mm floor height if the floor could pass between the tops of the wheels as with Flirts and similar.

InOban

Established Member
To get back to basics, and apologies if I'm repeating some things said above,

1. The only way to provide the sort of Metro service between Northampton, Birmingham Shrewsbury /Stafford which would be standard in, say, the Netherlands, and to provide the paths for all these containers trains of imported goods, it is absolutely necessary to build a new pair of tracks for IC services, and these must be built clear of the existing lines to avoid disruption. There can be no question about this.

2. Speed. The distance between London and Manchester etc are short compared with the distances in France or Spain etc. It may well be that the French wish they had built the TGV for even higher speeds but that's not relevant to here. There are AFAIK now ultra HS lines in the Netherlands. Even a 125mph line unencumbered by timetable conflicts etc would be substantially faster. There are three reasons for higher speeds
First, it doesn't cost much more.
Secondly it's sexy - my train is faster than yours - the real reason it could be sold to the politicians.
But there is a third genuine reason, Scotland. There is a clear need to reduce times to Edinburgh and Glasgow to as close to 3 hours as possible and this requires a 135mph average including any stops. Since there are no public plans for sections of HS line North of Preston, any reduction in time can only be achieved by much higher speeds South of there. The daft thing is that the new trains won't tilt and may therefore be slower beyond HS2 than the existing Pendolinos.
As for 400kph (is there any left?) I understand that this dictated the route. At 300kph a route largely following the existing transport corridor would have been possible. It wouldn't have been any cheaper but it wouldn't have faced so much NIMBY resistance and so work could have begun years earlier.

As for costs I'm sure that there has been a deal of gold-plating but there has been 25% inflation in construction costs generally.

may032

To get back to basics, and apologies if I'm repeating some things said above,

1. The only way to provide the sort of Metro service between Northampton, Birmingham Shrewsbury /Stafford which would be standard in, say, the Netherlands, and to provide the paths for all these containers trains of imported goods, it is absolutely necessary to build a new pair of tracks for IC services, and these must be built clear of the existing lines to avoid disruption. There can be no question about this.

2. Speed. The distance between London and Manchester etc are short compared with the distances in France or Spain etc. It may well be that the French wish they had built the TGV for even higher speeds but that's not relevant to here. There are AFAIK now ultra HS lines in the Netherlands. Even a 125mph line unencumbered by timetable conflicts etc would be substantially faster. There are three reasons for higher speeds
First, it doesn't cost much more.
Secondly it's sexy - my train is faster than yours - the real reason it could be sold to the politicians.
But there is a third genuine reason, Scotland. There is a clear need to reduce times to Edinburgh and Glasgow to as close to 3 hours as possible and this requires a 135mph average including any stops. Since there are no public plans for sections of HS line North of Preston, any reduction in time can only be achieved by much higher speeds South of there. The daft thing is that the new trains won't tilt and may therefore be slower beyond HS2 than the existing Pendolinos.
As for 400kph (is there any left?) I understand that this dictated the route. At 300kph a route largely following the existing transport corridor would have been possible. It wouldn't have been any cheaper but it wouldn't have faced so much NIMBY resistance and so work could have begun years earlier.

As for costs I'm sure that there has been a deal of gold-plating but there has been 25% inflation in construction costs generally.
Had a route been devised that roughly followed the WCML at 300kph, would’ve this likely have been cheaper because of less need for tunnelling? Or maybe a more densely populated route would have cancelled out any cost savings…

Starmer is paranoid that the Torys will put a tax and spend label on him. He will categorically tell you there is NO money for anything currently.

Industry needs to bide its time and prepare its case.
Kier opposed phase 1 why is it a surprise to you he'll oppose phase 2.

And if it is a case he is pro HS2 but he's afraid it will hurt his poll numbers, that's pretty cowardly and can also backfire. A politicians job is to propose policy , and if one they proposes is unpopular and loses you votes that is how democracy is meant to work.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't the northern legs allow for more local and regional trains in and around the north? I know the npr would be great for east West routes but hs2 would help with north south toured between Birmingham and Liverpool, and for Sheffield to Leeds, right?
Yes. Extra platforms released at Manchester Piccadilly and a very large release of capacity on routes through Cheadle Hulme would have been a huge transformation.

That's a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of how the political system works in this country.
Is it? This may have been the case two decades ago, but it's certainly not today!
The PM does not have "absolute" power to scrap things on a whim as you're inferring.
Well, you're right they shouldn't have such power. But who is going to stop them? Parliament? Nope. The Courts? Definitely not. You?
There will have been multiple options worked up by the Civil Service on whether to proceed, pause, stop along with the associated costs / benefits of each.
Have you got some evidence this happened? It's widely reported in the press that the Department weren't informed ahead of time, let alone consulted. Most of the civil service staff found out about it at the same time the general public did. So it seems extremely unlikely to me that your claim here is true.
Even if full cabinet hadn't made the decision at the very least it would have been a decision between the PM, Treasury and portfolio holder - transport sec in this case.
Again, this is naive. The cabinet are sycophants who do as they're told, and that's the end of it. They have been for some time.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Kier opposed phase 1 why is it a surprise to you he'll oppose phase 2.

And if it is a case he is pro HS2 but he's afraid it will hurt his poll numbers, that's pretty cowardly and can also backfire. A politicians job is to propose policy , and if one they proposes is unpopular and loses you votes that is how democracy is meant to work.
Fair point but his shadow chancellor tells us on a stuck record akin to get Brexit done that they will grow the economy by investing in critical infrastructure though. I know thats largely directed at renewables but that alone won't deliver net zero by any stretch of the imagination so they will need to bring transport into the mix. Clearly not going to change overnight.

On policy Labour don't have any serious ones yet and i suspect wont until the Torys launch the election campaign.