• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST on the Euston to Watford Jn 'DC lines' in 1993

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trailfinder

In Rail issue 846, there is a picture (dated Oct 16 1993) of a HST passing through Hatch End station on the DC lines.

I assume the HST regained the main line at Watford Junction. Must have been quite a site at Watford High Street!

Is it still possible for this to happen or even a Voyager to take this route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
In Rail issue 846, there is a picture (dated Oct 16 1993) of a HST passing through Hatch End station on the DC lines.

I assume the HST regained the main line at Watford Junction. Must have been quite a site at Watford High Street!

Is it still possible for this to happen or even a Voyager to take this route.

Somewhere on Youtube (other video sharing sites are available) there is a video of an HST going through Watford HS - may be the same one?

I'm sure it's theoretically possible for a Voyager to run that way - whether they are cleared is a different matter - and there are unlikely to be paths except in an emergency situation.

pdeaves

Established Member
Voyagers are not (or 'no longer'?) cleared to use the DC lines. Passenger stock cleared is mostly the obvious (daily use) stock, 172s on some of the route with some restrictions and loco+coaches (including class 88, so the table is up to date).

craigybagel

Established Member
If anything did go that way, it would be 30MPH max if they don't have tripcocks fitted, which wouldn't help matters.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I vaguely remember someone floating the idea of dragging Pendos through the DC lines when I was at VTWC but not sure if that was even physically possible.

Southern Dvr

The National Measurement Train or other Test Trains that Network Rail run surely have to cover the DC Lines at some point or other though?

Boodiggy

Normally the TRU (150 unit) but a top and tailed train with either 37s or 73s is regular, especially on UTU workings.

GW43125

Established Member
There's an old story that one night the mainlines were blocked but they still wanted to run the sleeper.
Unfortunately mk3s weren't cleared on the DC lines so they took it up the DC lines at 10mph.

In the WON the next week, a note appeared that mk3s were now permitted down the DC lines at 10mph.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I vaguely remember someone floating the idea of dragging Pendos through the DC lines when I was at VTWC but not sure if that was even physically possible.

It was a suggestion in Chris Gibb's report on how to improve WCML performance a few years ago. Close the WCML south of Watford on Saturday evenings around 9ish, and send the last few down the DC.

Silverlinky

I certainly travelled on the Sleeper service along the DC lines on a couple of consecutive nights after the Watford rail crash of 1996. Working for the TOC at the time and on customer service duty at Euston I knew the Scotrail train managers and hitched a lift to Watford......and got tea and biscuits!!

I'm sure we went at more than 10mph though!!! ;) The sleeper certainly left before the last DC departure...and would have soon been in the way if it had been travelling at 10mph!!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It was a suggestion in Chris Gibb's report on how to improve WCML performance a few years ago. Close the WCML south of Watford on Saturday evenings around 9ish, and send the last few down the DC.

Not a realistic option frankly .....(the execllent CG does - every now and then - fly some odd ones ..)

jyte

There's an old story that one night the mainlines were blocked but they still wanted to run the sleeper.
Unfortunately mk3s weren't cleared on the DC lines so they took it up the DC lines at 10mph.

In the WON the next week, a note appeared that mk3s were now permitted down the DC lines at 10mph.
I adore that haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.