• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST power car renumbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello

Can anyone tell me why XC and NXEC power cars have been renumbered, but Great Western ones have not?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Operator Choice. NXEC added 200 to the number of their powercars on re-engining. XC's refurb is the same spec and maintained by NXEC so followed suit

FGW decided to not to.

Similarly SWT have renumbered their 158s for no real reason (not sure retention toilets justify it)

4SRKT

Established Member
Does anyone know which of the four daily Grand Central London-Sunderland workings in each direction is being operated by the hideous new class 180 sets? I'm off to London on Thursday (on business - so getting some Valenta thrash on the company!), and want to make sure I get my Valenta fix while I still can.

GNERman

Established Member
thursday will be 0918 ex sunderland and 1650 ex london worked by 180...
if u get sum valenta haulage, enjoy!

devon_metro

Established Member
Can anyone tell me why XC and NXEC power cars have been renumbered, but Great Western ones have not?

Believe that fact that the electronics in the XC and NX varities were replaced, thus different and hence number change.

With the exception of 43053/056 on GW.

I'm sure 43034 The Black Horse will be able to shed more light...

Old Timer

Established Member
Vehicle numbering/renumbering/reclassification is within the gift of the Vehicle records group at Derby.

Changes to sub-class designation will be authorised by that body if it is considered appropriate and justified.

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Believe that fact that the electronics in the XC and NX varities were replaced, thus different and hence number change.

With the exception of 43053/056 on GW.

I'm sure 43034 The Black Horse will be able to shed more light...

GNER/NXEC, XC and NMT power cars had electronics upgrades with new cubicles. Mainly a new WSP System. Whilst in the process of transition to MTU from Valenta, powercars would have needed Exams. And by renumbering them, people would know what engine was fitted to which without having to go and look at them of knowing what was Valenta or MTU off by heart.

E.G If 43313 required new electrical parts, you know which ones to order as it was MTU.

If 43113 needed new electrical parts, you would either have to go and check the Power Car or know off by heart which PCs were MTU and which were Valenta.

Status
Not open for further replies.