• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull to Burton on Trent with a split at Doncaster: Options on strike day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrh2254

Looks like my train is cancelled today the 17.27 Hull to Doncaster service. I have a std day return ticket.
This will mean I will miss my advance 1st class ticket connection at Doncaster, the 18.58 to Burton on Trent.

National rail journey planner now comes up with the 17.40 Hull to Leeds and then the 19.11 leeds to burton.

Can I now go via this new route with the tickets I have?
Also the leeds to burton , can I travel in 1st class?
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's not clear from the information provided by Northern on their website. You could seek advice from the staff at Hull but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I would imagine that you will be asked to join the first available service to Doncaster and then from there on XC. Of course First Class tickets are valid in First Class. Do not forget to claim your Delay Repay from Northern.

It appears that the first available direct Hull to Doncaster service is the 1827.

jrh2254

Also I am on split tickets burton to doncaster; doncaster to hull. All e-tickets with crosscountry.

jrh2254

If they allow me to travel on the 17.40 to leeds then in theory I will be less than 30 mins delayed overall, so no compensation!

Starmill

Veteran Member
A Hull to Doncaster ticket isn't valid beyond Selby on the 1740. You may be given permission to travel by the guard though, if you ask politely.

You would then have an interesting time using your Doncaster to Burton-on-Trent Advances on a Leeds to Burton-on-Trent train.

if ticket acceptance is in operation, it shouldn't be a problem if you explain you need to do the journey that way as it is circumstances beyond your control.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If they allow me to travel on the 17.40 to leeds then in theory I will be less than 30 mins delayed overall, so no compensation!
Is your arrival time crucial?

I suspect the relevant train companies may be reluctant to convey you via Leeds. I believe XC would probably rather you claimed Delay Repay compensation and stuck to travelling via Doncaster. But you can try contacting them to see what they say!

jrh2254

I was really worried about going via Leeds.
I asked on the train to Doncaster (outward journey) and they said it was ok.
I asked at Doncaster station (outward journey) and they said it was ok.
I asked at Hull station (outward journey) and they said it was ok.
I took the train from Hull to Leeds and the tickets were not checked(rtn journey).
When I went into 1st class at Leeds the train manager and catering staff were so lovely. They said it was no problem at all.
So full marks to cross country and their staff for making the last part of my journey (circa 2 hours) so relaxing with refreshments.
I am really grateful they showed some discretion in the circumstances , even if technically I was not supposed to use this route(I am still not sure ).

Last edited:

jrh2254

Is your arrival time crucial?

I suspect the relevant train companies may be reluctant to convey you via Leeds. I believe XC would probably rather you claimed Delay Repay compensation and stuck to travelling via Doncaster. But you can try contacting them to see what they say!
Arrival time was not that crucial , but I did enjoy the transpennine service to Leeds rather than Northern to Doncaster and also the 1st class from Leeds to Burton.
I do agree however that I lost the opportunity to claim full compensation from Northern as I was only delayed circa 30 mins !

Starmill

Veteran Member
If you arrived 30 minutes or more late, the you are entitled to compensation!

Status
Not open for further replies.