• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hydraulic Tensioners on WCML MkIII OLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRhu

I'm sure I remember hydraulic tensioning being used (instead of the traditional weights) in certain locations when the WCML OLE was extended from Weaver Junction to Motherwell in 1973/74. I haven't seen any of these tensioners ofr many years and in fact I can't even find any online evidence that they ever existed. If I remember right they were made by Lockheed. Am I imagining the whole thing, going senile, or did these things actually exist?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

McRhu

I'm really starting to wonder if I have some kind of false memory, or have got the wrong end of the stick all these years... I'm certain though that I remember cylindrical contraptions mounted on anchor masts, tensioning the wires (possibly with weights at the other end of the tension length).

59CosG95

Established Member
I'm sure I remember hydraulic tensioning being used (instead of the traditional weights) in certain locations when the WCML OLE was extended from Weaver Junction to Motherwell in 1973/74. I haven't seen any of these tensioners ofr many years and in fact I can't even find any online evidence that they ever existed. If I remember right they were made by Lockheed. Am I imagining the whole thing, going senile, or did these things actually exist?
I've checked the OLEMI (Overhead Line Equipment Master Index) and hydraulic tensioners did indeed exist. However, if I remember correctly, they were replaced pretty quickly by weights as the cylinders kept failing.

McRhu

I've checked the OLEMI (Overhead Line Equipment Master Index) and hydraulic tensioners did indeed exist. However, if I remember correctly, they were replaced pretty quickly by weights as the cylinders kept failing.
Thank you so much; I am very grateful for that. I seem to remember them as being quite widespread at first, but disappearing fairly quickly. As I say, if I remember aright the tactic evolved to use them at one end of the tension length with conventional weights at the other. I seem to recall 'stiction' being an issue for them. Interestingly, long after they had disappeared from everywhere else (but long enough ago to make me start doubting my memory) there were a couple in a siding in Ayrshire (it may have been near Kilwinning). I haven't been down that way for quite a while and don't even know if he sidings still exist, but who knows?...

Status
Not open for further replies.