• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Hypothetical) Circular journey delayed to the extent return is missed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotton

Purely a hypothetical question, but assuming I had return tickets from X to Y, but was delayed extensively enough on the outbound to miss my intended return trip, would I be entitled to delay repay for both the outbound and return (presumably I would, with the caveat I would have to take the first available return train).

If these were advance tickets, would they be accepted on the first return train only, or on a later train such that I was able to spend the intended amount of time at the destination? Or, would I be expected to abandon my journey early upon realising I'd have effectively 0 time at the destination.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
This sort of thing once happened to me on a day trip from Hellifield to Carlisle using Northern. Outbound service was an hour late departing Hellifield due to a late running steam-hauled service in front and we got later and later as we progressed over the S+C.

Became apparent as time went on that there would be no time for any shopping in Carlisle by the time we eventually got there, if indeed we ever did.

Decided therefore to bail out at Kirkby Stephen and get the next train back to Hellifield when the news came through that the steam train had been stopped at Appleby (steam train tender low on water, or some such?)

Got a "full" refund from Northern in the form of another complimentary return, which was fair enough given that I was travelling on one of their complimentary tickets anyway!

(Hellifield -> Kirkby Stephen -> Hellifield a scenic enough return journey, if a tad slow that day, and Hellifield not the worst place to wait for a train mid morning if the station café is open!) :s

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Purely a hypothetical question, but assuming I had return tickets from X to Y, but was delayed extensively enough on the outbound to miss my intended return trip, would I be entitled to delay repay for both the outbound and return (presumably I would, with the caveat I would have to take the first available return train).

If these were advance tickets, would they be accepted on the first return train only, or on a later train such that I was able to spend the intended amount of time at the destination? Or, would I be expected to abandon my journey early upon realising I'd have effectively 0 time at the destination.
You would definitely be entitled to Delay Repay (although a manual claim through customer services is less likely to be initially rejected than if you use an automated form).

If holding an Advance, you would also be entitled to take the next available itinerary that complies with your ticket's route/TOC restrictions.

If you simply buy a return ticket, rather than some sort of 'excursion' which guarantees a certain amount of time at the destination, there won't necessarily be a defined, absolute right to spend X hours at your destination, possibly missing the next available train after your booked one. But station staff may be prepared to endorse your ticket as valid on a later departure.

Alternatively, if your train becomes delayed or cancelled, you can decide to abandon your journey, and then return to your origin station and claim a full (fee-free) refund on your tickets by contacting the retailer from whom you bought your tickets.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Generally I find sending all the details to customer service gets the required result. Set out what your intentions were, what went wrong, what you expect them (realistically) to do & they are usually very good.

1955LR

I purchased a TFW Ffestiniog round robin ticket valid from Shrewsbury and an anytime day return to get to & from Shrewsbury from Leominster . On the day of travel the signal staff at Hereford was taken ill just before my train was due , and all movement frozen until a replacement available . It got to the point that it was too late for me to make the circular Journey in the day ,so I baled out and abandoned it . Claimed 100% refund by writing to TFW Customer services , which was granted with no hassle.

Shotton

Thank you you for your insights, everyone!

I'll (hopefully) be making a fairly long circular trip, going outbound by one route and returning by another. If I encounter any problems like this, I'll ask at the destination ticket office and see if I can get a endorsement.

Perhaps I'll make a trip report :D

Shotton

Shotton -> Weymouth via Bristol on the outbound, returning via London - should be a pleasant, though extensive trip!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This crops up every so often.

I previously said this:

...I agree that seeking staff advice is a good idea, and if station staff won't endorse the ticket, approaching on-board staff (where applicable) is a good idea.

I suggest a lengthy layover is planned for at least one place when on a 'circular' journey, because at some point you may have to 'define' what your 'journey' is, and it might not be to your advantage to state your journey is Bushey to London.

In your case I would have planned a break at Sheffield (perhaps visiting the Sheffield Tap) or Manchester Piccadilly, which would allow you to have two clearly defined journeys. This may be to your advantage if severe delays mean you may struggle to get back on track, and it may also be to your advantage to claim Delay Repay.

Perhaps posting future ideas to Trip Planning & Reports for others to advise on the viability of the itinerary before booking may help to reduce the potential for problems next time....

Shotton

This crops up every so often.

I previously said this:
Thank you for this. I'll try and leave at least a couple of hours at Weymouth - if the delay goes beyond that, abandonment would seem like the best choice anyway.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No worries :)

You also have the option of changing at Upwey or Dorchester, so the delay would have to be really big to miss the onward train.

Status
Not open for further replies.