• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hythe Ferry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the water too shallow there for the ferry, small though it is?

Well, yachts with full and fin keels enter the marina lock at that point.

Southampton Water provides a maintained depth of not less than 12.6 metres chart datum up to the marina’s entrance channel.
The lock is then approached by a well-marked short channel that has a maintained depth of 1.5 metres chart datum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I cannot think that the marina’s owners, management and users are going to be happy about all the extra traffic as the great unwashed make their way to and from the ferry over what is, I suspect, a private road. Nor are their insurers likely to be happy about it.

BayPaul

Established Member
No need to panic, just slightly bad reporting. The pier has been owned by a local community group for the last few years, so isn't impacted by the change of ownership of the ferry. The ferry will remain operating from the pier as it always has.

D1024

The pier has been owned by a local community group for the last few years
I hate to diagree but the "local community group" is the Hythe Pier Heritage association and in the FAQ'S on their website:

The top item is - Who owns the pier & the train?

The answer they give is:

"Currently Blue Funnel Ferries Limited (BFF) owns almost all of the assets of the pier including the pier structure, buildings and train track. Over time, BFF has given almost all the the train to HPHA. The process of restoration of the train is ongoing.

It was widely reported that BFF had given all of the Pier assets to HPHA in early 2019, but this did not occur."

Status
Not open for further replies.