• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Iconic Steam Trains on Unusual Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
Taunton should know, but I think that Chard-Taunton was GWR locos, normally panniers, but these also worked over the old LSWR/SR Chard-Chard Junction line.
It was always pure GW, once the LSWR (or SR?) negotiated for them to work to the Junction. Yeovil Town shed did use Ns to Taunton though, I'm sure this has come up before.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvester

Established Member
Does anyone know of any of the more iconic steam engines made appearances in parts of the country that they are not famed for, while still in regular service? I.e. did the Flying Scotsman or the Mallard ever run services on lines other than the east coast mainline?
During the 1950s around half a dozen A3s (including Flying Scotsman) spent periods on the GCR working the principle expresses from Marylebone to Sheffield/Manchester, as far as Leicester. The were allocated to Neasden and Leicester (Central) sheds to cover these workings.

Christmas eve 1962 A3 60045 Lemberg thundering through Newton-le-willows station approx 21,30hrs working 1M79 Newcastle to Lpool Lime St having taken over from a failed Diesel at Darlington. Following arrival at Lime St a quick turn round saw it leaving Liverpool Lime St with 22.50 Lpool - York Mails traveling over the Cheshire Lines route to Stockport then via Stalybridge Huddersfield Leeds to York arrival approx 0315. Happy Christmas.

Coronation/Princess Royals Pacifics were off there normal route working diverted WCML trains in the 1950/60s period between Crewe and Wigan via Stockport M/c London Road MSJ&A Ordsall Lane Eccles Jnc Tyldesley and (vice verse).
Late 1961 46209 Princess Beatrice Glasgow -Birmingham diversion.
1962 46206 Princess Marie Louise arrived on Patricroft shed having worked a West of England train into M/c Vic which should have arrived at M/c London Rd.(Mix up at Stockport) 46206 spent the Sunday on Patricroft shed prior to working Monday morning 01.18 M/c Exchange-Chester Newspaper train.
Dec 1964 46229 Duchess of Hamilton minus Nameplates worked a Wigan NW-M/c Ex Parcel train via Tyldesley Eccles Jnc.
14/04/64 46256 Sir William Stanier FRS 08 10 Holyhead-M/c Exchange.
14/05/64 46240 City of Coventry 08.10 Holyhead - M/c Exchange and returned with 16.30 M/c Ex-LLandudno (Club Train)
1964 46235 City Of Birmingham 03.23 M/c Exchange -Liverpool Newspaper train.
9/1964 46257 City of Salford Light eng Springs Brch-Newton Heath shed via Parkside.Returnig three days later having conveyed the Railway Queen to M/c Vic from Newton Heath.

1948 Loco Excange trials GWR 6990 Witherslack Hall London Marylebone - M/c London Rd GC route

Last edited:

Spartacus

Established Member
Probably out of the scope of the question but I do hope 6880 at some point makes a visit to Huddersfield in the guise of 6858 Woolston Grange. Hopefully then it’ll be gauge cleared!

Taunton

Established Member
It was always pure GW, once the LSWR (or SR?) negotiated for them to work to the Junction. Yeovil Town shed did use Ns to Taunton though, I'm sure this has come up before.
The Chard line was long worked in two halves, it was Southern from Chard south to the junction but Taunton shed worked it, by agreement (from 1930s?), as there was no Southern subshed at Chard. Exception was Sundays, when there was no service from Taunton to Chard but there were a few shuttles to the Junction, so Yeovil shed had to send out an M7 just on that day. Regarding Yeovil, the separate longstanding all-WR shed at Pen Mill was closed in the early 1950s in the period when the SR had responsibility, and locos were moved up to the Southern shed at Yeovil Town, which unusually thereafter had a 50-50 mix of both company types, when the N usage started. There was actually quite a lot of traditional mixed working across the West Country at a range of places - Taunton 43xx worked through trains to Ilfracombe, and due to a particularly recalcitrant SR shed foreman at Barnstaple had to send an assisting 43xx as well to help their own trains up the steep climb out to Mortehoe, while the SR banker crew alongside looked on and drank tea.

Harvester

Established Member
Christmas eve 1962 A3 60045 Lemberg thundering through Newton-le-willows station approx 21,30hrs working 1M79 Newcastle to Lpool Lime St having taken over from a failed Diesel at Darlington. Following arrival at Lime St a quick turn round saw it leaving Liverpool Lime St with 22.50 Lpool - York Mails traveling over the Cheshire Lines route to Stockport then via Stalybridge Huddersfield Leeds to York arrival approx 0315. Happy Christmas.
I can remember this being reported at the time in the Railway press. However the reports show that the A3 didn’t return to the NER on Christmas Eve, but after arrival was dispatched to Edge Hill shed, where it spent Christmas Day and most of Boxing Day. It then returned as far as Leeds on the 22:35 Liverpool-York mail train.

At the time 60045 had just had a General Repair so was in good condition, and ripe for plunder. Leeds control took advantage of this and sent it to Scotland on the 27th on the 10:25 Leeds-Glasgow which it worked throughout. Hence Darlington had to wait a few more days before it got its main line pilot back.

Source: Modern Railways (Feb 1963), Railway Observer (Feb 1963).

I can remember this being reported at the time in the Railway press. However the reports show that the A3 didn’t return to the NER on Christmas Eve, but after arrival was dispatched to Edge Hill shed, where it spent Christmas Day and most of Boxing Day. It then returned as far as Leeds on the 22:35 Liverpool-York mail train.

At the time 60045 had just had a General Repair so was in good condition, and ripe for plunder. Leeds control took advantage of this and sent it to Scotland on the 27th on the 10:25 Leeds-Glasgow which it worked throughout. Hence Darlington had to wait a few more days before it got its main line pilot back.

thanks Harvester, for info update

d9009alycidon

In Scotland there were a number of odd loco hauls in addition to what has already been described, I have seen photographs of the following:

Duchess Pacifics:
Glasgow to Edinbugh via Shotts stopping services
Ayr to Glasgow relief when the Open was on at Prestwick.
LNER Pacifics:
Also on Glasgow to Ayr Reliefs, Corkerhill was well known for "borrowing" Leeds based locos for fill in turns.
Perth to Carstairs portion of the WCML postal
Everything up to and including A4s worked the Fish Specials between Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

An additional Locomotive Exchange working was 34004 ’Yeovil’ from Perth to Inverness on the 13th and 14th July 1948, paired with an LMS tender and an LNER dynamometer car, just needed a Hawksworth Brake to complete the "4"
1633350339549.png

matchmaker

Established Member
In Scotland there were a number of odd loco hauls in addition to what has already been described, I have seen photographs of the following:

Duchess Pacifics:
Glasgow to Edinbugh via Shotts stopping services
Ayr to Glasgow relief when the Open was on at Prestwick.
LNER Pacifics:
Also on Glasgow to Ayr Reliefs, Corkerhill was well known for "borrowing" Leeds based locos for fill in turns.
Perth to Carstairs portion of the WCML postal
Everything up to and including A4s worked the Fish Specials between Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

An additional Locomotive Exchange working was 34004 ’Yeovil’ from Perth to Inverness on the 13th and 14th July 1948, paired with an LMS tender and an LNER dynamometer car, just needed a Hawksworth Brake to complete the "4"
View attachment 103479
That photo certainly shows the gradient up the "Big Hill"!

etr221

LNER A3s saw quite extensive service on the ex-GCR mainline London-Manchester once (late 1930s) the LNER had plenty of Pacifics, until the GCR was downgraded and transferred to LMR mid 1950s

At one point in the 1950s problems with the Bulleid Pacifics led to the Southern borowing V2s and B1s from the Eastern (and probably others)

In the gouping era (1923-1947) I think all the big 4 transferred/had built - to greater or lesser extent - locos from one predecessor to the lines of another.

When necessary/in emergency/wartime/whenever in steam days locos could be borrowed/sent virtually anywhere they would fit on occasion (and sometimes where they wouldn't - a GWR 4-6-0 ended up on the Sussex coast at one point, causing a lot of head scratching on how to get it back) - steam crews were expected to handle whatever turned up; and there was quite lot of documentation as to unlkely locos being allowed or not in surprising places.

Look up LNER class O6 (designer the well known Sir W A Stanier...)

341o2

Established Member
Brentwood bank, no doubt - Class 7 power needed there on those new 2 hour timings, which is why the Brits were key to the operation
Coal and water capacity as well. The B1's would need to take on more coal and water after every journey
Wasn’t it the Standard 2 2-6-2T that were proposed for the Isle of Wight?
Yes, my misunderstanding regarding a comment made regarding the Ivatt tanks on the steam railway, which were so successful on Southern branch lines. The 02's could have been replaced by modern steam locos, but Standard 84xxx were proposed, not the Ivatts.

In the narrow gauge world, the Ffestiniog's no4 Palmerston was sent to the Vale of Rheidol railway on a regular basis from 1912-1922

Last edited:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Well, not steam, but reasonably iconic (if you can say such a thing) - LMS 10000/1 ran on the Southern and 10201-3 ran on the LNWR (although when I think about it, I can't remember seeing any pics). I saw the former, but not the latter, running at Bletchley, and I saw two of the SR ones one weekday on the Midland around lunchtime heading towards London St Pancras, coupled light engine. Probably 1961.

There's a wonderful story of an A3 working up the Midland, and quite late on, as I remember, December 63? Holbeck had put up the number on the roster board, was it Solario? It was a number like 104 - the shedmaster meant D104, but the crew saw the A3 60104 on shed - and took it south. I think it was on a parcels working - I mean, the Midland had been dieselised for well over a year for all Class 1 workings if I've got the date right. I often reckoned that the crew knew full well what they were doing, and did it for a lark - they got away with it (I suppose) cos it was a parcels job. Would have loved to see an A3 on a passenger working climbing Desboro or Sharnbrook banks on a frosty December morning.

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
There's a wonderful story of an A3 working up the Midland, and quite late on, as I remember, December 63? Holbeck had put up the number on the roster board, was it Solario? It was a number like 104 - the shedmaster meant D104, but the crew saw the A3 60104 on shed - and took it south. I think it was on a parcels working - I mean, the Midland had been dieselised for well over a year for all Class 1 workings if I've got the date right. I often reckoned that the crew knew full well what they were doing, and did it for a lark - they got away with it (I suppose) cos it was a parcels job. Would have loved to see an A3 on a passenger working climbing Desboro or Sharnbrook banks on a frosty December morning.
That sounds like a good story, not 60104 though as it was, I think, one of the first A3s to be withdrawn some years earlier.

Dec 64? Are you sure about this? Typo? They were withdrawn en masse in August 64.

Nice list otherwise though!

1963 would be correct. sorry Duke in addition 46229 had come out of store at Edge Hill and worked for a few weeks in Dec 1963.

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
That sounds like a good story, not 60104 though as it was, I think, one of the first A3s to be withdrawn some years earlier.
Definitely not 60104 as it was prematurely withdrawn in 1959, while D104 entered service in 1961.

IIRC A3 60112 St Simon was borrowed by the LMR in December 1964, to work Christmas parcels traffic to London just before its withdrawal from service. However I think these workings were into Marylebone and occurred over some days.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Polmadie (66A) had some A1 pacifics for a short period in the early 1950s, and I saw my first "LNER"-designed loco at Wigan when 60152 worked the Glasgow Central to Birmingham New St. service.
(The final batch of A1s was built after formation of BR.).

On a different item -- reputedly a Newton Heath crew misread the shed allocation board and took a Crab instead of a Jubilee on some special working down the WCML to London. (I think it was 42742 instead of 45742, but not 100% certain of those numbers)

L+Y

The 02's could have been replaced by modern steam locos, but Standard 84xxx were proposed, not the Ivatts.
At risk of going a little off-topic, one wonders if they'd have worn BR Blue ala Vale of Rheidol!

Harvester

Established Member
Polmadie (66A) had some A1 pacifics for a short period in the early 1950s, and I saw my first "LNER"-designed loco at Wigan when 60152 worked the Glasgow Central to Birmingham New St. service.
Polmadie was also allocated six A2s, three Peppercorn, and three of the Thompson variety in September 1963 around the time its last Duchesses were withdrawn.

The Thompson engines (60512/522/524) were survivors from the NER’s decision to withdraw its twelve A2s at the end of 1962. They were transferred to Scotland because of their decent condition after receiving heavy repairs that summer and autumn.

To keep the NER accountants happy, three high mileage Scottish A2s (60519/531/536) were transferred to York and withdrawn soon after arrival (hence twelve withdrawals on paper). 60531 was definitely a paper transfer, it entered Doncaster Works in October 1962 for repairs, which were not granted, then cut up there.

Western Sunset

Established Member
West Countries over the Somerset & Dorset. Though by that period the line was part of the SR and Bath Green Park was in the same "71" district as Eastleigh and Bournemouth, so maybe not such a surprise.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Definitely not 60104 as it was prematurely withdrawn in 1959, while D104 entered service in 1961.

IIRC A3 60112 St Simon was borrowed by the LMR in December 1964, to work Christmas parcels traffic to London just before its withdrawal from service. However I think these workings were into Marylebone and occurred over some days.
Yes, I think now that it was 60112. It may have also worked to Marylebone - I have no idea about that. But it definitely worked once to St Pancras. It was mentioned in the railway press at the time, I'm pretty sure.

Western Sunset

Established Member
I recall that story. It was mistaken for a Royal Scot.
60112, when read out loud can be heard as sixty-one, one-two. That's the number of Royal Scot 6112, which was an Annesley loco at the time.

Poolie

During the 1950s around half a dozen A3s (including Flying Scotsman) spent periods on the GCR working the principle expresses from Marylebone to Sheffield/Manchester, as far as Leicester. The were allocated to Neasden and Leicester (Central) sheds to cover these workings.
Is it myth or is it true that an up Marylebone working was routed wrongly and an A3 ended up at Watford Met station?

Harvester

Established Member
Is it myth or is it true that an up Marylebone working was routed wrongly and an A3 ended up at Watford Met station?
Can’t help you on this one.

Just checked my rail atlas and the route via Watford North and East junctions does in theory look possible!! But if wrongly routed the driver would have surely stopped immediately after the junction?

chorleyjeff

Coronation/Princess Royals Pacifics were off there normal route working diverted WCML trains in the 1950/60s period between Crewe and Wigan via Stockport M/c London Road MSJ&A Ordsall Lane Eccles Jnc Tyldesley and (vice verse).
Late 1961 46209 Princess Beatrice Glasgow -Birmingham diversion.
1962 46206 Princess Marie Louise arrived on Patricroft shed having worked a West of England train into M/c Vic which should have arrived at M/c London Rd.(Mix up at Stockport) 46206 spent the Sunday on Patricroft shed prior to working Monday morning 01.18 M/c Exchange-Chester Newspaper train.
Dec 1964 46229 Duchess of Hamilton minus Nameplates worked a Wigan NW-M/c Ex Parcel train via Tyldesley Eccles Jnc.
14/04/64 46256 Sir William Stanier FRS 08 10 Holyhead-M/c Exchange.
14/05/64 46240 City of Coventry 08.10 Holyhead - M/c Exchange and returned with 16.30 M/c Ex-LLandudno (Club Train)
1964 46235 City Of Birmingham 03.23 M/c Exchange -Liverpool Newspaper train.
9/1964 46257 City of Salford Light eng Springs Brch-Newton Heath shed via Parkside.Returnig three days later having conveyed the Railway Queen to M/c Vic from Newton Heath.

1948 Loco Excange trials GWR 6990 Witherslack Hall London Marylebone - M/c London Rd GC route
Very interesting and nostalgic but not regular turns.

On a different item -- reputedly a Newton Heath crew misread the shed allocation board and took a Crab instead of a Jubilee on some special working down the WCML to London. (I think it was 42742 instead of 45742, but not 100% certain of those numbers)
Crabs worked Midlands to Blackpool excursions, not I suppose, quickly.

deltic14

There was a case of a 'Hall' working through to Huddersfield because there was no loco to replace it at Leicester Central. Can't remember date or loco involved but it has featured in the railway press. Being out of gauge there was talk of scrapping it on site but AIUI it worked to Crewe from where it was sent home. Apparently it caused much excitement amongst the local spotters

Harvester

Established Member
There was a case of a 'Hall' working through to Huddersfield because there was no loco to replace it at Leicester Central. Can't remember date or loco involved but it has featured in the railway press. Being out of gauge there was talk of scrapping it on site but AIUI it worked to Crewe from where it was sent home. Apparently it caused much excitement amongst the local spotters
It was 6858 Woolston Grange, which had taken over the 08:55 Bournemouth West-Leeds at Oxford on Saturday 15th August 1964.

When running between Penistone and Huddersfield it struck the wooden platform edge at Denny Dale. It was removed at Huddersfield, and spent the next ten days on Hillhouse shed. 6858 eventually left for Crewe, travelling at restricted speed as an out of gauge load, via Micklehurst and Guide Bridge on 26th August.

randyrippley

Established Member
Before BR, did locos ever get "spot-hired" or borrowed to overcome shortages? I was thinking of places like Weymouth with either a shared joint shed, or two sheds very close together. For instance if a GWR loco failed and a Southern loco was available as the only "hot spare" would it get used?

Gloster

Established Member
Before BR, did locos ever get "spot-hired" or borrowed to overcome shortages? I was thinking of places like Weymouth with either a shared joint shed, or two sheds very close together. For instance if a GWR loco failed and a Southern loco was available as the only "hot spare" would it get used?
Almost certainly not, with the possible exception of using another company’s loco to clear a train with a failed loco off the line. There might have been a little flexibility on joint lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.