• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ideas for alternative (non Scotrail/FGW) sleeper services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
there was something about crash worthiness the last time it was raised.
From memory it was the need to do the necessary approval work to get something like an airline business class "pod" certified as being safe and what configuration would be safe. I think there was some concern that if you were laying in the direction of travel neck injuries would occur in a collision whilst in lay flat mode, obviously not a concern on an airline as the seat is in the upright position for take off/landing and if there was an emergency in flight severe enough for the position of the seat to be a concern it is likely to have fatal consequences anyway (otherwise there would be enough time to return it to the upright position)...

The approvals therefore were not impossible but the cost and delay of doing the necessary approvals was prohibitive to getting the stock in service on time.
Same argument as to why it is apparently necessary to have the lighting ambience of the custody suite at Greenock police station.
Whilst I believe this simply because no-one can be pestered with doing anything other than the bare minimum (read cheapest and easiest)...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainbike46

Established Member
Are there any actual or planned sleeper services using something similar to the lie-flat seats in airline business class? That could be more attractive than a reclining seat but more space-efficient than cabins. I think many people would prefer sharing in this more open environment than in a closed compartment where there is a risk of robbery or assault.
Nighjet will be introducing single-person couchette pods with their new rolling stock

spyinthesky

Rather than a full on sleeper, would sets with recliners be more viable with a few carriages with normal seats for shorter night journeys?

Bartsimho

Not much thought about people’s hopes but an example might be Milton Keynes, Rugby, Northampton, Stafford,Crewe, Warrington, Preston, Lancaster, Carlisle on the current route.
If you could have a singular carriage dedicated to the closer destinations like MK it could be kept separate (due to noise) for all those coming back from an evening out in London

jagardner1984

accepting that is the reason - it does seem rather laughable given the potential relative forces on the human body of, for example, a plummeting A380 and a Mk5 dawdling through Crewe, one of the only trains on the entire 400mile WCML at that point. Not to be flippant about the risk but …. Come on !

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
accepting that is the reason - it does seem rather laughable given the potential relative forces on the human body of, for example, a plummeting A380 and a Mk5 dawdling through Crewe, one of the only trains on the entire 400mile WCML at that point. Not to be flippant about the risk but …. Come on !
But that's surely the point? With the A380 plummeting out of the sky at several hundred miles an hour it won't matter what position your seat is in, you're dead. On a Mk5 doing 75mph down the WCML there's every chance you would survive a derailment or collision if the seat protects you properly from the rapid deceleration and doesn't allow you neck to be broken by your body being shunted forward into it. Which is why it required some approvals before it could be accepted.

You will note, for example, that they don't let you land or take off in an aircraft with the seat fully reclined into a bed. In part, no doubt, because the seat provides better protection in the upright position and take off/landing is a plausible scenario in which you might actually have a chance of surviving if the seat doesn't break your neck because you were laying down and you body slammed into it.

heathrowrail

I've always thought the Caledonian service should be split. One service for the West Coast mainline staying as is. Another going via the East Coast mainline and run by LNER.

Trainbike46

Established Member
I've always thought the Caledonian service should be split. One service for the West Coast mainline staying as is. Another going via the East Coast mainline and run by LNER.
what destinations would each of these services go to?

Presumably london at the south end, but at the northern end?

jagardner1984

Isn't a key consideration of this that the Sleeper can occupy one of the North / South Mainlines, and frequently does travel ECML to allow Engineering works - so highly unlikely Network rail would ever agree to both Mainlines being used for planned services simultaneously.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Splitting it with two operators like that would surely increase the background admin costs?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Isn't a key consideration of this that the Sleeper can occupy one of the North / South Mainlines, and frequently does travel ECML to allow Engineering works - so highly unlikely Network rail would ever agree to both Mainlines being used for planned services simultaneously.
If either one was able to divert on to the open route I am not sure it would be an issue. The only issue now is that you cannot close both routes and the diversion has to be electrified and cleared for 92s.

ShadowKnight

On the east coast, places like York or Newcastle would be pretty popular/equivalent to Crewe and Carlisle on the current west coast sleeper

Edit:
Oh to the end? I suppose taking over the Aberdeen portion mirroring the highland chieftain and meeting at Edinburgh an Edinburgh portion east coast service.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
On the east coast, places like York or Newcastle would be pretty popular/equivalent to Crewe and Carlisle on the current west coast sleeper
The timings at York / Newcastle wouldn't be great for anyone looking to sleep.

E100

The only sleepers I would see in the UK having a viable market would be either Edinburgh / Glasgow to Paris / Amsterdam or London to Berlin/Geneva/Vienna etc. Someone doing a tour of western Europe could well viably do a London then Edinburgh then Paris type tour quite feasibly. We all know how Nightstar ended so it won't happen and they also need to be cheaper / much more convenient than the plane.

Bartsimho

Something I just noticed while looking up more luxurious UK sleepers (Royal Scotsman). It has beds in transverse which have been pointed out as something many other sleepers can't have https://www.flickr.com/photos/14589121@N00/37019598211 . How do the regulations work for this as I thought part of it was for crash safety (which I would guess would be speed related) or is it grandfathered in? or is it as it stops overnight although you could still be in bed while the train is moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.