• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ideas for improving the CrossCountry timetable

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A S Leib

Avanti do not run any direct services, at all, between Coventry and Birmingham International, and Manchester.
They do, but as it's limited to an 06:03 southbound service with no corresponding northbound service, it isn't one you'd be likely to use (unless living in Manchester or Stoke with a flight from. Birmingham International at ~11:00).

dk1

Veteran Member
They do, but as it's limited to an 06:03 southbound service with no corresponding northbound service, it isn't one you'd be likely to use (unless living in Manchester or Stoke with a flight from. Birmingham International at ~11:00).

There appears to be an 06:24 now too.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
DfT have added the XC train requirement, towards the end there is a set of of routes that they need to operate at least once or twice a week.

There are also first and last train requirements

I see the section on diversionary routes no longer has any requirement to run Eastleigh - Reading ECS via Havant and Guildford? Thats odd because that’s a fairly regularly used route during engineering closures in the Basingstoke area. In fact it seems to have gone under the radar that they’re not currently running via Guildford anyway, and not in the June timetable. So it must have been binned in December?

(Not really speculation though, a DfT train spec is a real life matter.)

daodao

Established Member
Well, two direct services (https://archive.ph/xdAmH), but still not ones most passengers would use in place of CrossCountry.
I did use the 0647 southbound from Macclesfield once to travel to a conference in Stratford-upon-Avon, changing at Sandwell & Dudley and Smethwick Galton Bridge. It was a much pleasanter experience than the return journey, which required me to change stations in Birmingham and then use an overloaded XC Voyager.

I agree, and also for the Newcastle-Reading service which should be hourly. It would obviate the need for the "sticking plaster solutions" that I proposed in earlier posts on this thread. However, "dream on", as it ain't going to happen. XC doesn't serve London, so the Whitehall mandarins don't give a damn, and wouldn't allow resources to provided for such "profligacy".
The Labour Party have just promised that if elected they will end this direct control of the railways by Whitehall mandarins. I hope that delivering this would end this 'only services to London matter' bias and deliver the new trains with more seats needed for Cross Country Trains services connecting the big cities of the Midlands and the North of England with each other and directly with destinations served by Cross Country Trains in the South and South West of England.
The current system of intensive micromanagement of rail delivery bodies by the Department for Transport and Treasury officials and ministers is hampering the efficient running of our railways.
An incoming Labour Government will establish a new, arm’s length public body – Great British Railways – which will be a directing mind in charge of Britain’s railway infrastructure and services, responsible for the day-to-day operational delivery of the railways, for ensuring infrastructure and services work together, and for innovations and improvements in the experience of passengers and freight users.
The Secretary of State will set the long-term strategy and infrastructure priorities and hold the new body to account on its performance, but Great British Railways will be led by rail professionals and industry experts and have operational independence. This new structure will end the meddling and interference on operational and industrial relations matters by Ministers and Whitehall that has created such confusion and paralysis.

Last edited: