• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ideas to reopen the leisure & tourism sectors if social distancing is to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWM

Established Member
As I've just mentioned in another thread, Cineworld and Picturehouse cinemas are now saying they will reopen on Friday 10th July ('subject to approval', etc.)

To have put a specific date on it like this, it seems likely that they must have been given a very large hint that this is likely to be allowed by then.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I hope this initiative will build a momentum within the trade that come July 4, intervention to stop it would be seen by the authorities in the same damaging light as the risk of intervention in the recent BML gatherings and demonstrations. With focused willpower from the hospitality industry and its supportive customers, the case for opening made in the court of public opinion could be great enough to ensure no punitive action was taken.

Indeed and I think the Oakman Inns statement is intended to force the government's hand rather than serve as a spurious act of rebellion. Everyone knows that, save for a couple of localised outbreaks, the pandemic is as good as over now. What is the government waiting for?

PTR 444

Established Member
I have had a thought about certain tourist attractions, and am wondering whether it would be worth some of them extending their operating season to make up for a lost spring and early summer.

Most seasonal attractions like theme parks, heritage railways etc open up around the middle of March, then close for the winter around Halloween. Sadly, lockdown was announced just as many attractions were preparing to open for their summer season, so they will have received no visitors whatsoever this year. Concerns around catching Covid may put some people off visiting in the near future, but I can imagine there will be much more pent-up demand from people wishing to have a change of scene from what they have been limited to over the past 3 months.

With this pent-up demand and social distancing combined, it would make sense for tourist attractions that close for the winter to remain open until Christmas/New Year. Closing these in the autumn means fewer days available that people can visit these attractions, and in turn means more people visiting on the days that they are open, making social distancing much harder. If these attractions were allowed to open on the 4th of July then remain open every day until Christmas, they could use a reservation system so no more than a certain number of people can visit at a time. That way, the people who wanted to visit these attractions over the spring have more opportunities to do so. Particularly good if we have an Indian summer this year. On the other hand, the weather may turn out really bad by the Autumn, but i'm sure people who booked for then would go regardless, as the only other option is to stay at home which we have been doing since March!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I have had a thought about certain tourist attractions, and am wondering whether it would be worth some of them extending their operating season to make up for a lost spring and early summer.

Most seasonal attractions like theme parks, heritage railways etc open up around the middle of March, then close for the winter around Halloween. Sadly, lockdown was announced just as many attractions were preparing to open for their summer season, so they will have received no visitors whatsoever this year. Concerns around catching Covid may put some people off visiting in the near future, but I can imagine there will be much more pent-up demand from people wishing to have a change of scene from what they have been limited to over the past 3 months.

With this pent-up demand and social distancing combined, it would make sense for tourist attractions that close for the winter to remain open until Christmas/New Year. Closing these in the autumn means fewer days available that people can visit these attractions, and in turn means more people visiting on the days that they are open, making social distancing much harder. If these attractions were allowed to open on the 4th of July then remain open every day until Christmas, they could use a reservation system so no more than a certain number of people can visit at a time. That way, the people who wanted to visit these attractions over the spring have more opportunities to do so. Particularly good if we have an Indian summer this year. On the other hand, the weather may turn out really bad by the Autumn, but i'm sure people who booked for then would go regardless, as the only other option is to stay at home which we have been doing since March!
I completely agree, I think this would be a good idea.

I would implement it as part of a wider campaign to kickstart the economy again from the government along the lines of 'Building a Better Britain' with a tagline like 'Respect Personal Space - Get Britain Moving Again'. The current 'Stay Alert' campaign is simply inducing fear and if we try to reopen the economy whilst still scaring people that there's a 'big deadly' virus waiting to kill them, this won't do any good. We need to get the economy going again ASAP to prevent any further damage and I would argue a campaign just as strongly messaged as the lockdown is needed to really get things back to a healthier state again.

MikeWM

Established Member
Interesting article in today's Guardian regarding cinema reopenings, but the most revealing part is right at the end

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...lure-audiences-back-to-uk-cinemas-tenet-mulan
Christopher Nolan’s sci-fi blockbuster Tenet will no longer be the first major new release to test the waters in UK cinemas, after studio Warner Bros pushed its release back by a fortnight, to 31 July. A week before that comes Mulan, Disney’s live-action remake, which will come out 20 days after Vue cinemas open their doors again on 4 July.
Cineworld, Showcase and Odeon are all working towards a 10 July resumption of screenings.

I'm particularly keen on this, as I'm a prolific cinemagoer, and seeing films on the big screen is probably the thing I've missed most over the last few months.

But the implications are fascinating. I assumed cinemas would be one of the later things to be able to restart, but this sounds like the major chains are all expecting to restart in early July - either because they've presumably been told they probably will be able to, or they're doing like that pub chain owner is doing and trying to pressure the government.

So that seems to imply that other stuff - pubs, restaurants, hotels (?) - are on track for early July too...

High Dyke

Established Member
Also it would be the licensee in the dock losing their license and being fined, not the Pubco (although they would be in equal trouble).
Which tenant would be daft enough to open?
Absolutely. A £20,000 fine is a hefty amount to find - especially if you've been furloughed or had no income for such a considerable time.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Cinemas are easy - other than premieres and Saturday night, most showings are generally half empty anyway. Just block some seats on the booking system, job done.

Butts

Veteran Member
Cinemas are easy - other than premieres and Saturday night, most showings are generally half empty anyway. Just block some seats on the booking system, job done.

As a Cineworld Ultimate Cardholder I can confirm some truth in your assertion, I have often been the only person on many mid-afternoon mid-week performances.

MikeWM

Established Member
As a Cineworld Ultimate Cardholder I can confirm some truth in your assertion, I have often been the only person on many mid-afternoon mid-week performances.

I do like having the place to myself :) And I usually try to avoid busy screenings anyway.

I have a Cineworld card too, handily I have a newly-opened Cineworld less than 10 minutes walk from my house...

Cinemas do pehaps seem easier to deal with in a way than many other things, as most indeed don't require full occupancy in order to survive, most already did allocated seating, and most auditoria tend to have very high ceilings (probably helpful in air circulation terms compared to pubs or restaurants). Though as they closed *before* pubs etc. it seemed natural to assume they wouldn't reopen until after. Certainly won't be complaining if I can be back seeing films within 3 weeks :)

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
According to today's Times, here's a leaked report of what the hospitality sector will have to do to reopen next month;

"Boris Johnson will announce next week that the two-metre rule will be relaxed from July 4 and that pubs, restaurants, cafés and attractions can reopen as he attempts to revive the economy. Guidance drawn up by the government and the hospitality industry will also be published as Britain embarks on a “new normal”.

Separately, ministers will publish legislation next week to encourage an “al fresco revolution”. Every pub, bar and restaurant will be automatically entitled to serve alcohol for people to drink on the pavement and in the street.

The prime minister said yesterday that coronavirus was now “diminishing among us all” and social-distancing measures would be eased imminently. Britain’s “Covid-alert” level was downgraded from four to three in light of the “steady decrease” in cases. It means that while the virus is still “in general circulation” there can be a “gradual relaxation of restrictions and social-distancing measures”.

The hospitality measures seen by The Times are detailed below.

Pubs

There will be limits to the number of people allowed into pubs with markings on the floor to ensure social distancing.

Customers will be discouraged from ordering pints at the bar and drinks will be delivered to tables, spaced widely apart, instead. If customers do hang around the bar, they may be asked to move on. After finishing a round, it will no longer be polite to return used glasses, which will instead be collected from tables.

Waiters will clean bar tops, door handles and fruit machines at least every hour and there will be regular patrols of pub gardens to make sure inebriated guests continue to observe social-distancing rules. Children’s play areas are likely to remain out of action.

Restaurants

Owners will be required to place strict limits on the number of people they allow in to ensure social distancing is observed, with queues forming outside. They will be encouraged to use reservations to stagger bookings.

Upon arrival, tables, spaced widely apart, will appear surprisingly bare, as napkins and cutlery will only be brought out with food. Laminated menus will be replaced with single-use, disposable menus and condiments will be served in sachets on request.

Waiters may also make use of menu boards but there will be fewer options than usual as chefs will try to minimise cross-contamination of ingredients. Plates will be cleared by staff wearing gloves, or at the very least, waiters will be asked to wash their hands each time they serve a different table.

Payment with contactless card will be encouraged. Buffets are unlikely to reopen any time soon.

Hotels

Doormen will remind new arrivals that they must observe social distancing and receptionists will take a couple of steps back when guests check in.

Porters will still be able to carry bags to guests’ rooms but will have to leave them outside. Rather than taking the lift, people will be encouraged to climb the stairs.

Even if hotel restaurants reopen, visitors could still be urged to use room service. Food will be delivered on trays left outside in the corridors that staff will regularly collect. If a guest falls ill while staying at a hotel, they will be asked to self-isolate in their room and meals will be sent up on disposable plates.

The room will then be cordoned off for 72 hours after the person has recovered with a sign saying “Out of action” on the door. The guidance for hostels in the leaked document is yet to be developed."

All sounds a bit excessive to me but hopefully we'll only have to endure it for the first few weeks...

Last edited by a moderator:

Trackman

Established Member

Blackpool illuminations is now running until 3rd Jan to help with tourism, Pleasure beach is opening weekends in December, council are hoping other venues will follow suit to aid tourism.

On Moderation
Leicester and Cleckheaton. Did you not see Matt Hancock's briefing on Thursday?
No. I’ve given up watching the Party Political broadcasts that the Tories get each weekday (that none of the opposition parties get). Just like Johnson in the commons, they never answer the question asked.

(And in response to your answer, i’ll google it to get the detail)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
As I've just mentioned in another thread, Cineworld and Picturehouse cinemas are now saying they will reopen on Friday 10th July ('subject to approval', etc.)

To have put a specific date on it like this, it seems likely that they must have been given a very large hint that this is likely to be allowed by then.

That's three weeks after yesterday so makes perfect sense and goes with the analogy of reopening on a quieter weekday to minimise footfall. The following day/weekend may prove interesting, however.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's three weeks after yesterday so makes perfect sense and goes with the analogy of reopening on a quieter weekday to minimise footfall. The following day/weekend may prove interesting, however.

Fridays are quite busy for cinemas (though not as busy as Saturdays) so unless they're doing matinees only they have gone for the big bang.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, I've just braved a busy town centre trying to find some lunch.

The pubs can't open soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Fridays are quite busy for cinemas (though not as busy as Saturdays) so unless they're doing matinees only they have gone for the big bang.
If it’s not a nice day then yes, they’ll be heaving. However if it’s a nice enough day then I reckon they’ll be fine.

MikeWM

Established Member

True, but in this case there aren’t going to be any big new releases for a couple of weeks after - they’ll probably just restart from what they were showing in mid-March, which was all mid-range fare (as it is every March).

underbank

Established Member
Who's going to policing all these pubs and restaurants?

Well the police came to our village pub to shut it down on that last Friday evening back in March when they were told to close.

In a nearby town, a pub started selling "takeaway" beer, and when a crowd congregated outside, the council arrived to instruct the pub to stop serving.

So, there's 2 examples of who can (and will) close down licensed premises.

johnnychips

Established Member
I think you will have a McDonalds/KFC/IKEA effect where there are a few days of chaos and all the Karens will be tweeting and posting on FB what a disaster it is, then it will die down. It will be interesting to see how many people are prepared to pay pub prices having had three months of supermarket beer prices.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think you will have a McDonalds/KFC/IKEA effect where there are a few days of chaos and all the Karens will be tweeting and posting on FB what a disaster it is, then it will die down. It will be interesting to see how many people are prepared to pay pub prices having had three months of supermarket beer prices.

A lot depends on the degree of social distancing and isolation required. The biggest reason why I would go to a pub is for the social aspects. If I can be 1m away from others, I can hold a fairly decent conversation and the pub will be an enjoyable experience. If everyone has to be much further apart and there are perspex screens and masks anywhere, then why would I go to the pub?

Llanigraham

On Moderation

And I suspect that the social pull of going out and meeting friends will beat that easily.
(And I prefer draught beer to bottled!)

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
A lot depends on the degree of social distancing and isolation required. The biggest reason why I would go to a pub is for the social aspects. If I can be 1m away from others, I can hold a fairly decent conversation and the pub will be an enjoyable experience. If everyone has to be much further apart and there are perspex screens and masks anywhere, then why would I go to the pub?
It's my opinion that social distancing in pubs may last for perhaps a month or so at 1m before we start to realise that it's going to be impossible to retain this as a long term measure and have no choice but to scrap it for the sake of the economy.

I have no doubt that there'll be hundreds on social media who will start their 'virtual screaming' at the prospect of restrictions being eased to the point where things begin to appear normal, however, we're going to have to change the government messaging along with the social distancing rules to make it clear to the public that they're not going to die, the NHS wasn't overwhelmed, and it's now time to get the economy back on track whilst respecting the personal space of those who you don't know and observing good hygiene practice.

Scrotnig

I think £140 is steep but it is the only way I would presently consider taking a foreign trip. No way am I happy to be locked up for 14 days - indeed the risk of this is making me be more careful about COVID generally than I would be about the risk of catching it alone!
Well in the other thread you want all hospitality closed permanently so you won't be going on holiday anywhere.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well in the other thread you want all hospitality closed permanently so you won't be going on holiday anywhere.

I don't include in that hotels (without the restaurant; all food could be room service) or Airbnb. They are no worse than any block of flats, as that's basically what they are.

I don't see what the dragging of heels over campsites is, either; if the toilet block is a problem, provide a polybog per pitch. Plenty going spare while big events are not on.

Status
Not open for further replies.