• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IET coupling at Swansea

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernbelle

I suspect the next station we will see similar issues thrown up with the coupling / uncoupling of IETs could be Bristol Temple Meads - With the proposed splitting / joining of the Western services.

Why do you suspect that? The coupling issues are software related and generally have nothing to do with curvature.

On test, class 800s have been coupling at Temple Meads quite happily, software problems notwithstanding.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
Why do you suspect that? The coupling issues are software related and generally have nothing to do with curvature.

On test, class 800s have been coupling at Temple Meads quite happily, software problems notwithstanding.

As I understand it, IETs were supposed to attach/detach 5 cars at Temple Meads from Day 1 for the Weston/Taunton stoppers but in practice they've run with one unit locked OOU.

northernbelle

As I understand it, IETs were supposed to attach/detach 5 cars at Temple Meads from Day 1 for the Weston/Taunton stoppers but in practice they've run with one unit locked OOU.

Quite correct, but the problems have been software related rather than station curvature as suggested by the OP.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Quite correct, but the problems have been software related rather than station curvature as suggested by the OP.

The software seems to be working ok at Swansea where Carmarthen portions are attached and detached though? I'm not sure about Oxford. Is anything booked to join or spilt there?

JN114

Established Member
The software seems to be working ok at Swansea where Carmarthen portions are attached and detached though? I'm not sure about Oxford. Is anything booked to join or spilt there?

In the LTP, yes, but while software issues are shaken out its only currently done at Swansea and Paddington due to proximity of Hitachi technical staff.

Bornin1980s

We have had autocouplers for more than 30 years now. Why are there still software issues with it on new trains?

When, in any case, did software first become an issue on trains?

krus_aragon

Established Member
We have had autocouplers for more than 30 years now. Why are there still software issues with it on new trains?

To give a facetious retort:

"We have had personal computers for more than 30 years now. Why are there still software issues on new PCs?"

Your modern desktop/laptop/tablet is expected to do far more different and complex things than would be expected from your ZX Spectrum or BBC Micro back in the day. As we expect new trains to do so much more (power doors with door-edge sensors, passenger information systems, electronic reservation displays, track and OHLE monitoring equipment, air conditioning, ethernet backbones for on-board wi-fi, etc) the software required to operate them all becomes more complex. Complex to write, complex to verify, complex to debug, etc.

A few years ago, when embedded systems design still operated with 8-bit processors (for quick real-time response), an experienced engineer could expect to have an in-depth understanding of every element of the system. In such a situation, there shouldn't be (m)any unexpected surprises. As these embedded systems have become more complex (32- or 64-bit embedded platforms are now becoming more commonplace), individual engineers are having to concentrate on specific areas of the whole system and work as a team, and/or use pre-written software libraries to obtain the required functionality from the many components they're using. As a result, embedded design is beginning to resemble software design, with the added complexities that interfacing with real-time hardware demands as well.

gallafent

... (speaking as a software developer, with tongue firmly in cheek) the first time a train which had any software aspect was booted for the first time on a live passenger service, at a guess ;)

Having said that, I imagine the first place that software as such came in to the operational (rather than design) side of the railway will have been in a signalling context, maybe as far back as the 1960s but surely by the end of the 1970s ... but that's just a guess. Software on board the trains themselves, some time during 1980s maybe?

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I may be wrong, but I understand that some of the coupling difficulty has been due to the different software patch versions installed on individual units, and the time taken to get every unit fully patched up to date. Two units with sufficiently different software versions may not manage to couple.

I may be wrong, but I understand that some of the coupling difficulty has been due to the different software patch versions installed on individual units, and the time taken to get every unit fully patched up to date. Two units with sufficiently different software versions may not manage to couple.

Yep, you’re wrong, all have the same software and software updates are done as quickly as possible, usually completing the fleet in a weekend.

There is a good percentage of coupling issues that aren’t software related.

deltic

Established Member
Mrs Greenback and I went for my first train trip since my illness a few months ago. It was just a little Sunday jaunt to Swansea and back. To my delight, a new IEP 10 carriage train turned up for the return journey. We were instructed to board the front five coaches and when we alighted at Llanelli there were 5 coaches. So it is definitely possible :)
Good to see you back - missed your positive and sensible contributions to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.