• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If I buy a monthly ticket from ticket office is it just a paper ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Never bought a season ticket before, if I get one from my local GA ticket office will it just be on the old orange card that you then put through the barrier machines?

Can I buy one today to start from monday?

And can I claim for any strike days where I can’t travel during the month?

Thanks all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Never bought a season ticket before, if I get one from my local GA ticket office will it just be on the old orange card that you then put through the barrier machines?
Yes. You'll need a National Rail photocard. If you don't have one, bring a passport sized photo to the station and they'll make one for you.

They may try to get you to use a smartcard.
Can I buy one today to start from monday?
Yes, a new 1-month or longer season ticket starting from Monday may be issued from noon the preceding Friday.
And can I claim for any strike days where I can’t travel during the month?
Yes, the details on how to do this will be on the relevant train company's website, and usually consists of claiming for a 2-hour delay that day which will refund 1/20 the cost of the ticket.
Thanks all!
You're welcome!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If it’s issued on paper they won’t issue it today to start on Monday.

Some companies (like LNER) no longer issue season tickets on paper, only on a smartcard (which they will give you at the station). Others )like GTR) will still issue on paper, although the direction of travel is towards smartcard.

If you’re buying an annual season ticket for travel in the Gold Card Area then it will be issued on Gold Card stock (if on paper) or you will be issued with a paper Gold Card Record (if on a smartcard) which entitles you to additional benefits if travelling at off peak times in the Gold Card area.

island

Veteran Member
If it’s issued on paper they won’t issue it today to start on Monday.
That's not what the iKB says.
Internal Knowledgebase said:
I need to BUY a NEW season ticket

Season Tickets and Travelcards valid for 1 month or longer

If the start date is a Saturday, Sunday or Monday (also Tuesday after a Bank Holiday), the ticket may be issued from noon on the previous Friday.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Presume the issue is that ticket barriers aren't able to readily determine whether a paper season ticket is already in its validity period, just that it hasn't yet expired?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's not what the iKB says.
I was under the impression that was for renewals but happy to be corrected.

Presume the issue is that ticket barriers aren't able to readily determine whether a paper season ticket is already in its validity period, just that it hasn't yet expired?
For magstripe tickets, yes. Smartcards are different.

island

Veteran Member
I was under the impression that was for renewals but happy to be corrected.
Renewals of monthly and longer tickets can be issued up to 7 days before expiry. You can read the full details on iKB page 61210.

pelli

The information is also publically available here: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/season-tickets.aspx, under "When to Buy a Season Ticket":
You may be able to buy your non-smartcard or barcode (physical) Season Ticket before the day it is due to start. However, to avoid misuse of these types of Season Tickets, they can only be purchased a short period of time beforehand.

The table below summarises when you can purchase or renew a physical Season Ticket or Travelcard:

BUY a new Season Ticket or Travelcard:
7-Day: A ticket may be issued on the start date.
Valid for 1 month or longer: If the start date is a Saturday, Sunday or Monday (also Tuesday after a Bank Holiday), the ticket may be issued from noon on the previous Friday.

RENEW a Season Ticket or Travelcard Season following a break in continuity:
7-Day: If the start date is a Monday (or Tuesday after a Bank Holiday), the Season Ticket may be issued from 06:00 on the previous Sunday.
Valid for 1 month or longer: If the start date is another day, the ticket may be issued after noon on the previous day.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thanks all. Got it on one of those smart cards in the end. All very new to me this!

Status
Not open for further replies.