• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If I buy online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Most ordinary rail tickets are not subject to VAT as far as I am aware, so no VAT receipt would be available. Exceptions to no VAT are things like Platform Tickets, refreshment vouchers, supplements and car parking.

A receipt showing the amount you paid will be provided which is acceptable by HMRC, but may not meet your employers demands. This applies whether you buy from a machine or ticket office. Unfortunately not much you can do if you ticket is retained, as you do not have the right to retain it.

ChrisMcFall

Sorry, I get too used to using the term VAT receipt. When I buy a ticket from a station machine, there's an 'Add Receipt' button when I pay for them, will I still be able to do this when I buy online through a TOC?

island

Veteran Member
Your receipt will display on-screen and be emailed to you to print off. You will not get a receipt when you collect the tickets (well, you get a collection receipt showing how many coupons were printed, but there is no price on it).

John @ home

Established Member
you get a collection receipt showing how many coupons were printed, but there is no price on it
My experience is that the collection receipt shows the total price for all the tickets in the particular transaction - not a lot of use if one wants to claim for one of several journeys. For example
COLLECTION RECEIPT
Description 004 COUPONS
Number 73674 - 73677
Amount £40.10
Issuing Office HAYMARKET
Date 03MCH11
Time 1042
CUSTOMER'S COPY
Please retain for your records

Status
Not open for further replies.