• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If South Eastern was spilt up again between SE and The Chatham lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Could a split between the old London & South Eastern and the London, Chatham & Dover railways ever work in this day and age?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Could a split between the old London & South Eastern and the London, Chatham & Dover railways ever work in this day and age?
I'm not exactly sure what would be gained by that happening - given services run from St Pancras (and Cannon Street) to both routes and the depot facilities would have to be shared.

John Webb

Established Member
The above two railways, despite intense rivalry, eventually started working together in 1899. I'm not certain what advantages (if any!) would be gained in today's intensive services by any sort of split.

John (former Woolwich resident)

Veteran Member
The above two railways, despite intense rivalry, eventually started working together in 1899. I'm not certain what advantages (if any!) would be gained in today's intensive services by any sort of split.

John (former Woolwich resident)
Then the SR rebuilt Thanet and Lewisham - you can't untangle that, though the the two main lines are still relatively distinct.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Incidentally, when the NSE map was first introduced, the two toutes were originally shown as different colours (Chatham line light green, SE line dark green).

In the privatised world, there would have been the possibility of them being done as two franchises, but it's hard to see the point, particularly as they share trains and facilities at places like Orpington, Ashford and Ramsgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.