• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ignoring gateline staff if they're incorrect about ticket validity

MrJeeves

Established Member
As it is also possible to buy 'TOC only' tickets to London U12 type destinations as well as 'TOC only' Travelcards, I doubt that the nororiously fussy LUL staff would turn a hair at the route restriction as long as the Maltese cross is present and it's a CCST ticket. This also convinces me of the validity of the ticket in question for an underground based cross-London transfer.
More amusing is a ticket to LU Zones with route "Not valid via London Underground"!

PXL_20240313_155639104~2.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Him: "Your smart argument is gonna cost you a lot of money if you board that train, let me tell you. You'd best hope revenue aren't onboard or you're gonna get bruk (inner city slang for 'thoroughly hung out to dry')"

:lol: Sorry, don't mean to laugh. I wouldn't say that's inner city slang but it would mean you'd get charged a lot of money. As has been noted, there is a low turnover of staff at the St Pancras gateline and I know exactly who would have said that. I used to have a laugh with them about the madness going on with the ticket inspections on the trains, they've always been well alright.

I'm glad you weren't inconvenienced. Sometimes it is better to minimise interactions if you can as it can add complications to journeys. I would have just scanned the ticket in the first place.

Last edited:

sheff1

Established Member
:lol: Sorry, don't mean to laugh. I wouldn't say that's inner city slang but it would mean you'd get charged a lot of money. As has been noted, there is a low turnover of staff at the St Pancras gateline and I know exactly who would have said that. I used to have a laugh with them about the madness going on with the ticket inspections on the trains, they've always been well alright.
Maybe "well alright" is another slang/London term I don't understand, but someone who falsely says a passenger delayed by Thameslink now needs a new ticket to travel onwards by EMR is anything but alright and shouldn't be working anywhere near a ticket gateline.

RJ

Established Member
Maybe "well alright" is another slang/London term I don't understand, but someone who falsely says a passenger delayed by Thameslink now needs a new ticket to travel onwards by EMR is anything but alright and shouldn't be working anywhere near a ticket gateline.

The correct thing for the OP to do would be to contact EMR directly. They can look into it and if necessary, take steps to make sure the situation is handled in line with the rules.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
As has been noted, there is a low turnover of staff at the St Pancras gateline and I know exactly who would have said that.
It's a worry that an experienced member of staff is so ill informed and making up complete nonsense.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
@dontteleport as your post is very long, with no summary provided, I've not had time to read it.

However providing the minimum connection time was met (which it sounds like it was) then EMR see contractually obliged to honour the ticket; furthermore if you are delayed by 15 minutes or more, you are entitled to delay compensation.

In future, if possible I recommend booking any such journey as a through journey, through an accredited site, such as ourselves, which would provide you with evidence of a contract covering the entire itinerary.

Also if you end up in a dispute in future, it is very helpful to keep the post concise, and include the itinerary of your intended journey in a list/tabular format. If it's a long post, I suggest including a brief summary.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
It's a worry that an experienced member of staff is so ill informed and making up complete nonsense.

It’s not a unique thing - on one line it was a common belief among the time served guards that only one break of journey was permitted on the return portion of period returns - for a maximum of one night. A brief went out and I never heard of that being said again.

Sometimes it happens with technical rules which is why it’s best to avoid potential points for conflict where possible. That may not be in line with everyone’s expectations but sometimes you have to adjust for what the situation is.