• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm getting uncomfortable reading the disputes forum now - they are making me lose confidence in traveling with Advance tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLevel

Established Member
That was fine back when the guard would be the only person who would check. Now we have gatelines and RPIs it doesn't work any more.

The railway really needs to get a disciplinary handle on this and emphasize to staff that implying permission to travel without ticket endorsement is serious misconduct because of the serious legal issues it may cause passengers later.

It shouldn't be hard with e-tickets - scan, ticket is rejected, staff tap "accept" and then quickly tap a reason why, or tap Other and type one. That acceptance must then become an internal disciplinary issue if it shouldn't have been given, and the data could be analysed to identify any staff who are frequently giving permission when they shouldn't and ensure they are retrained on what is and isn't permissible.
It's quite possible already to insert a comment with e tickets. Crappy paper tickets with ads instead of an endorsement box don't help though.

It's generally a given where I am that within reason guards in particular can give any relevant authority and it won't be questioned anyway, so I always jot a quick note with my Headcode, operator code and depot and ID number as per the standard operating model.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The railway really needs to get a disciplinary handle on this and emphasize to staff that implying permission to travel without ticket endorsement is serious misconduct because of the serious legal issues it may cause passengers later.

Be careful what you wish for there, though, because that sort of approach will likely mean staff simply stop exercising discretion and stick to the letter of the rules in all cases. People would generally rather be accused of being jobsworths than threatened with disciplinary action!

Yes - One of them was annoyingly inconsistent though, at Paddington this time not Reading. He said yes, jump on this earlier service as it’s not busy and I won’t charge you for that, but I will have to charge you a supplement as this is a peak time service and you have an advance for an off-peak train.

I thought, so you’re willing to overlook “Booked train only” but not the fact that it’s a peak time train, that you yourself declared to be not busy. I declined and got the booked train.

I can see how that’s annoying, but I suppose the way to look at it is that any flexibility shown to let you deviate from your ticket is them doing you a favour, and they are quite within their rights to insist that you either honour the conditions and take the later train, or pay the full price for a new ticket. Of course the downside of exercising the discretion is that it can lead to allegations of unfairness/inconsistency and muddies the waters. If someone reacts badly to it not being exercised (I’m not suggesting you would have done), it’s becomes less likely to be exercised in the future.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Evening everyone.

We feel that this has probably run its course now. Thanks for you contributions, over and out. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.