• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm planning a freedom of Scotland trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ardrossan is fairly straightforward but not noticing the footpath from the level crossing upto the Harbour station in the dark meant my very late night soiree around the towns stations was a bit longer than what I wished. The reward for the walk (about 20 mins max between Harbour and South Beach) is the seafront which is very tranquil.

That's good to know, hopefully nothing to hard as it's one of the days I will be with luggage

David

Established Member
Additionally, I've planned a 'rest day' on the Sunday due to the limited timetables (many thanks to those on this thread who brought this up) which means two over-nights in Edinburgh Fringe and Tattoo. Having memories of a school day trip into Edinburgh during August, I want to avoid this at all costs - and accommodation is crazy money. Would anybody have any suggestions of an alternative area to stay on a Saturday & Sunday night? Good options for accommodation and things to do locally a must!

Have you considered staying the other side of the Forth Bridge? Inverkiething is a nice place to stay, with plenty of B&B on Boreland Road (5 minutes from the Town Center and 5 minutes from the station (the exit of which is on Boreland Road)). I'm not too sure what there is to do in the immediate area though, as last year, I only used it as a base when I went to Knockhill.

DanDeerskin

Hi David, thanks for the suggestion - when looking for alternatives to Edinburgh I looked north straight away but completely overlooked Inverkeithing so appreciate you putting it on my radar.

I'll look into it as an option if I decide to scrap the rest day, however if I keep it I've taken a fancy to Dundee: both the Tay & Forth bridges on my last morning sounds a nice way to round things up, lot's to do in Dundee and an old school mate (possibly two) have settled in the town so could be an excuse to catch up over a beer.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day 8 - Stranraer, Carisle, yet more glasgow suburban bits

Out of interest Kite, what's the logistics involved in this day of your trip? Are you staying overnight in Glasgow so heading south to Stranraer, back north to Kilmarnock/Glasgow, south to Carlisle then back to Glasgow?

I only ask as the Stranraer stretch is part of my plan I've had to scrap as it was just a nightmare to squeeze in, and the main hassle is having to return back to Glasgow before going back south to Carlisle then home.
Whilst everyone else is sharing theirs, here is my provisional itinerary, no doubt subject to change.

Day 1 - Preston - Haymarket - Aberdeen - Inverness
Day 2 - Inverness - Thurso - John O'Groats(bus) - Wick - Inverness
Day 3 (not using my rover) - Inverness - Mallaig(bus) - Knoydart Ferry - Maillaig - Fort William(Jacobite)
Day 4 - Fort William - Crianlarich - Oban - Craignure(Ferry) - Oban - Glasgow - Dundee
Day 5 - Rest or Home: Dundee- Edinburgh - Berwick Upon Tweed - Edinburgh - Preston

As mentioned above, I scrapped Stranraer, I'd hoped to do a Coast to Coast (Berwick - Stranraer) then home but it just wasn't working out.

Kite159

Veteran Member
My hotel is in Glasgow (Charring Cross)

Stranraer was a bit of a pain to work out as it only has a handful of trains a day

7:30 Glasgow Central to Ayr
8:37 Ayr to Stranraer
10:10 Stranraer to Kilmarnock
12:50 Kilmarnock to Carlisle
And assuming it gets into Carlisle on time (or upto 8 or so minutes late) the 14:47 virgin service back to Glasgow Central

IanD

Established Member
However, it still runs to Kilcreggan from where you may take Garelochhead Coaches service 316 http://www.garelochheadcoaches.co.uk/316.pdf to Helensburgh, a ride of just over 30 minutes. Alternatively, alight at Garelochhead for a ride to Glasgow on the southern part of the West Highland line.

Like the look of that. Will have to remember it for my next Strathclyde Daytripper.

Gathursty

Established Member
That's good to know, hopefully nothing to hard as it's one of the days I will be with luggage

It is completely flat with just the level crossing at Ardrossan Town possibly causing an issue with wheeled luggage.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for the welcome Tecniquest!

Your list of alternatives to Edinburgh were fairly on the money, although I've taken a shine to Dundee as an option - some cheap options for central accommodation and lots of things to do if I stop on the Sunday. Plus, although I'll have done it in reverse at the start of the trip, there's something very appealing to the idea of starting the last day with trips over the Tay and Forth Bridges then down the East Coast.

I'm considering forgetting the rest day altogether and cutting the trip by a day, feeling like it's getting a bit expensive before I've factored in food and beer! Without the rest day it's shaping up to be quite intensive, but I suppose it's got to be to fit everything in.

On the timing of my trip, I'm a bit restricted to the days I've chosen as the missus is heading on a Girly holiday to Majorca so it's a perfect opportunity to use up a bit of annual leave and do something she has no interest in. She'd have a fit if I said I was swanning off on my own and leaving her at home with the dog, but she sure as heck wouldn't be interested in coming with me!

Dundee is not actually a bad idea fair dos. Yeah it's surprising just how much hotels build up the cost of a trip, but it also sounds like it'll be worth you keeping the last day in play if you don't have many opportunities to go on a rail adventure. Take advantage I say of the time to do it and enjoy the trip away :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
And so it starts, nice day of traveling up. Bit of an issue when arrived, the original hotel hadn't 'received' my booking, so I'm in a (slightly better) hotel next door which luckily had a spare room.

Any ideas what was happening today, lots of fancy dress at Waterloo this morning.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Day 9 - Ardossan Harbour (I'm guessing it will take less than 50 minutes to walk back to Ardossan South Beach)

I meant to reply to this the other day, but since I've had two coffees since getting home (don't ask me why, I don't properly know either...) I'm definitely able to reply now!

You may or may not recall reading in my trip report "The Epic 10 Year Anniversary" in 2013 that I walked Ardrossan Town to South Beach myself, so slightly different from Harbour but here's the relevant snippet from that trip report:

"I get curious as to how far Ardrossan Town to Ardrossan South Beach is on foot, and the maps function on my phone suggests it's not too difficult or far. Therefore the next move is dud 380113 to Ardrossan Town, from which I rush up the road along the B780 to Ardrossan South Beach, making it in just 9 minutes. If I didn't have luggage with me I could have done it in less no doubt, if I'd realised I would have time to spare I'd have got some photos"

I did rush too, not knowing the times of trains up there and not having much data allowance on my phone at the time. If it's a nice day, try and find time to stop and soak up the atmosphere and get some photos, it's a nice walk along the seafront.

Took forever to actually post this reply, I couldn't help but re-read the trip report! Finally, have a great trip north of the border Kite159, you'll love it :)

Cambus731

The Adam Guest House in Pitcullen Crescent, Perth is the best Guest House I have ever stayed in. I have been going the re since 1990

Kite159

Veteran Member
The Kyle line, beautiful. A shame the rain came reducing the number of picture taking moments (auto focusing on the rain drops on the window)

Nice little surprise at Kyle itself, saved me from walking too far as it threw it down after it went.

http://i62.tinypic.com/igi649.jpg

----

Tomorrow is going to be my longest day, and my iPod is refusing to charge :(

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It absolutely threw it down when I went to the Kyle too, so glad I'm not the only one!

Sounds like you really need to get yourself a new iPod!

Kite159

Veteran Member
It charges, but after a reset.

That steam train is following me, passed it yesterday on the far north line just near the castle station and it's just gone pass Stirling.

I bet I see it tomorrow as I'm off to Mallaig (planning to make use of the easement and go on the sleeper from Glasgow to William.). Only question is, do I have to book a seat?

Last edited:

leightonbd

The sleeper that goes to FW doesn't stop at 'Glasgow' but at suburban stations Westerton and Dalmuir (it approaches via Edinburgh). Or have I misunderstood your post?

Rebooking - not sure -technically, if all the seats were taken they might not be able to accommodate you. Strictly, the sleeper does not accept walk-ons. But in the morning the staff might be more relaxed about it.

Hope you are getting the best of the weather. Four seasons in one day today!

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Caught the 5:30 service to westerton (only person on it other than staff), sounded like that is a ghost service most of the time.

No issues getting on the sleeper, was quiet apart from a short time between two of the remote stations when around 20 walkers got on. I think as it's very limited service on the West Highland line the 'sleeper' is classed as a regular passenger service (in the very comfy seat area). Hopefully some of the pictures I've taken well be excellent (window down on the door, less reflection and easier to focus)

Next step, Mallaig, looks like it's going to be busy.

---

Agreed with the weather yesterday, sun, showers, thunder storm.

crispy1978

Caught the 5:30 service to westerton (only person on it other than staff), sounded like that is a ghost service most of the time.

No issues getting on the sleeper, was quiet apart from a short time between two of the remote stations when around 20 walkers got on. I think as it's very limited service on the West Highland line the 'sleeper' is classed as a regular passenger service (in the very comfy seat area). Hopefully some of the pictures I've taken well be excellent (window down on the door, less reflection and easier to focus)

Next step, Mallaig, looks like it's going to be busy.

---

Agreed with the weather yesterday, sun, showers, thunder storm.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Would love to have the opportunity to do that some day - but my wife doesn't get the fascination with sitting on a train for long periods of time when you aren't really going anywhere!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Would love to have the opportunity to do that some day - but my wife doesn't get the fascination with sitting on a train for long periods of time when you aren't really going anywhere!

Ahh, women, they just don't get why we enjoy what we do! That said, we'll never understand their obsession with shopping. "It was a bargain!" they exclaim, but the reply of "But it's only a bargain if you needed it and were going to buy it anyway!" doesn't seem to be understood!

Back on topic: Yes the 0450 Edinburgh to Fort William is classed as a normal passenger service, although reservations are highly recommended. Off-season, less of an issue but in the height of summer I am to believe the sleeper is a very busy train throughout. Never done the connecting train from Queen Street myself, but I'm less than surprised it was very quiet. Again, probably very different in the height of summer though.

Glad it's going well so far, hope a trip report is to come...

Veteran Member
Yes the 0450 Edinburgh to Fort William is classed as a normal passenger service, although reservations are highly recommended. Off-season, less of an issue but in the height of summer I am to believe the sleeper is a very busy train throughout. Never done the connecting train from Queen Street myself, but I'm less than surprised it was very quiet. Again, probably very different in the height of summer though.

Interesting to see how well the new early Oban service (which replaces the Westerton from Monday) loads.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's the first night I've been in my hotel room just outside Charing cross station before 11!

I think I will have covered the passenger lines in Scotland bar the newcraighall branch (that can wait until the new line opens next year), the curve on the newton branch (kings park to mount Florida side) and the north curve from Thornton. But I went over the forth bridge today coming south and didn't pass the airport ;)

Largs and harbour tomorrow, and that's it done.

Interesting to see a FTPE 185 in Glasgow central last night, I thought all those workings got replaced by 350s?

314s have automatic doors, similar to the underground, probably saves time

------

On the first passenger service EMU to Cumbernauld :)

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
It's the first night I've been in my hotel room just outside Charing cross station before 11!

But I went over the forth bridge today coming south and didn't pass the airport ;)

Did you try the onion chutney at the Premier Inn if they still do it?

Also, you tried the rare Linlithgow service??

Kite159

Veteran Member
Enginnering works is making the Glasgow bound trains from Dundee upwards go via the fife line, line though Perth is closed.

Didn't stay in the massive premier inn, a small guest house ~ 5 minutes away from the station. Free Wi-Fi, free breakfast, comfy bed. Only issue was with the heating which couldn't be turned off. So I had the choice of sleeping with the window closed and hot, or window open and get traffic noise (although I think the motorway was hidden by a tunnel)

On a 185 heading south :). Another class crossed off my list. Hardly any luggage space and the bins are a joke.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Does the Freedom Of Scotland Travelpass restriction "Valid on all scheduled services wholly within Scotland," mean you can't use an East Coast service to get from Edinburgh to Aberdeen since the service would have started from London Kings Cross?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Does the Freedom Of Scotland Travelpass restriction "Valid on all scheduled services wholly within Scotland," mean you can't use an East Coast service to get from Edinburgh to Aberdeen since the service would have started from London Kings Cross?

Nope, considering it's valid down to Berwick & Carlisle, I managed to use it on a Virgin service (Carlisle to Haymarket), XC (Dundee to Markinch), FTPE (Glasgow to Carlisle) without any issues.

Sadly I ran out of time to do an East Coast trip down to Berwick, the Intercity 225 is still on my 'hit-list'.

Total pictures taken (over both camera & phone - nearly 1400 (plus the countless ones deleted on the go as they were either of a blurred tree or focused on marks on the window), so a little job for them to be sorted, also to work out my total miles for my 9 day holiday.

I would do it all again, some of those lines were absolutely beautiful

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Nope, considering it's valid down to Berwick & Carlisle, I managed to use it on a Virgin service (Carlisle to Haymarket), XC (Dundee to Markinch), FTPE (Glasgow to Carlisle) without any issues.
Thanks, sounds like my schedule for my first trip to Scotland is sorted then.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The glasgow subway is a good ride if you have the spare 30 minutes to do a complete circle.

I've misplaced my seat reservation slip for the East Coast trip, as I ditched the original seat I grabbed the reservation slip to show it was available, however I've lost it :(

-----

Am I correct in thinking that the majority of the electric trains in Scotland are DOO with a guard to sell and check tickets (and I'm guessing the 156s lack SDO)
This is probably one of my favourite photos so far, sadly the focus caught some of the marks on the rear window of the seated accommodation coach

2jeqzqo.jpg

Last edited:

AndrewR232

Am I correct in thinking that the majority of the electric trains in Scotland are DOO with a guard to sell and check tickets

This is correct - only on electric trains between North Berwick/Edinburgh and Glasgow Central are the doors operated by guards.

As of yesterday some of these services are extended from Glasgow Central to Ayr; these trains are DOO on this section of the route.

Status
Not open for further replies.