• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident at Leicester Square

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
BBC reporting an attempted murder investigation after someone was nearly pushed in front of a train at Leicester Square. Two bystanders intervened.

An attempted murder investigation is under way after a man tried to push a woman in front of a train.

British Transport Police (BTP) said the woman was waiting on a platform at Leicester Square Underground station in central London when she saw the suspect arguing with an elderly man. The suspect then walked over, grabbed her arm, and began dragging her.

BTP said the incident happened just after 15:30 GMT on 6 November.

Obviously such incidents are very rare, but I imagine hard to completely stop. Unfortunately mental illness seems to be a factor after investigation is complete.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChristopherJ

Wasn't there an incident quite recently that involved a man being pushed in front of a tube train in an attempted murder case, who ironically was also the CEO of Eurotunnel?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
BBC reporting an attempted murder investigation after someone was nearly pushed in front of a train at Leicester Square. Two bystanders intervened.

Obviously such incidents are very rare, but I imagine hard to completely stop. Unfortunately mental illness seems to be a factor after investigation is complete.
Thank goodness they are so rare. I was very close witness to such an attempt on the Victoria Line northbound platform at Victoria in the early 1970s. The 'pusher' was a middle aged woman with obvious psychiatric issues, the platform was crowded and I can only assume the young man standing next to her had an inkling she needed keeping a wary eye on because he managed to grab her before she'd managed to push the target, a much younger woman, in front of the train as it came into the platform. She had a very lucky escape. but, in that British way, just got on the train which soon departed.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
These are very disturbing cases. I always prefer to wait near the wall on the tube.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There was another such incident at Balham fairly recently as well. Seems to be becoming more common, unfortunately.
It's not just in this country, it happens in New York quite frequently and Los Angeles too. Unfortunately, the state of mental health in the Western world in particular declines by the year and is not helped by the availability of illicit narcotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.