• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incomplete Preserved Emus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomix330

Several coaches from the Class 390 Pendolino set involved at Grayrigg exist in a car park at the Avanti/Virgin training centre, for training. Though I'm not sure that counts as preserved.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Why not Ashford Kent station. Nowt special, but ticket office and bookstall on the overbridge, buffets and waiting rooms on the platforms.

This is the feeling which Bury Bolton Street sums up for me (albeit with earlier paintwork).

Not a s*te hole, just good old blighty.
That was rebuilt in the very early 90s for the Eurostar services. https://www.kentrail.org.uk/Ashford.htm

Several coaches from the Class 390 Pendolino set involved at Grayrigg exist in a car park at the Avanti/Virgin training centre, for training. Though I'm not sure that counts as preserved.
Definetly not preserved. But apperently i read somewhere they where designated for the National collection. PFA attachment from PDF doc. https://www.sciencemuseumgroup.org....2020/10/RHC-Designated-Items-Publish-2020.pdf

Attachments

• Pendolino.png
    Pendolino.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 25

Not preserved but they still exist like you say for training purposes. If I remember this right there's a driving trailer & I think the shop coach.

They were but dunno if they are now based on a short section of track in an industrial estate not far from crewe station.

RichJF

4COR (class 404) driving coach 11201 was at the Bluebell for a while until 2015. Then moved to East Kent Railway.

The EKR has a number of other 4COR coaches (taken from SEG website);

11161DMBTO(Driving Motor Brake Third Open)Restored and operational at East Kent Railway
10096TK(Trailer Third Corridor)In store at Sellindge, Kent, not available for viewing
11825CK(Trailer Composite Corridor)In store at Sellindge, Kent, not available for viewing
11187 *DMBTO(Driving Motor Brake Third Open)Restored and operational at East Kent Railway

4COR (class 404) driving coach 11201 was at the Bluebell for a while until 2015. Then moved to East Kent Railway.

The EKR has a number of other 4COR coaches (taken from SEG website);

11161DMBTO(Driving Motor Brake Third Open)Restored and operational at East Kent Railway
10096TK(Trailer Third Corridor)In store at Sellindge, Kent, not available for viewing
11825CK(Trailer Composite Corridor)In store at Sellindge, Kent, not available for viewing
11187 *DMBTO(Driving Motor Brake Third Open)Restored and operational at East Kent Railway

The 4 COR. There is 6 coaches in preservation

11179 from 3131 is at the
11187 from 3135 is at the EKR and is opperational

11161,10096,11825,11201 are from 3142 of which 11161 is at the EKR under restoration and the others are stored privately. 11825 was orginally out of 3135 and swapped before purchase.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
I've read in the latest issue of Express it says that the Northumbria group have acquired a pair of 442's along with an ex MK3 buffet car it also mentioned restoring a Class 405 (4SUB) back into working order as well.

Speed43125

I've read in the latest issue of Express it says that the Northumbria group have acquired a pair of 442's along with an ex MK3 buffet car it also mentioned restoring a Class 405 (4SUB) back into working order as well.
A pair of units?? Or a pair of vehicles?

Where does it say that? From what I understand at the moment it is cosmetic. It did say not mainline due to the cost grounds.

The 442. From what I understand northumbria rail have 442401 dts coach. They do have the a cab from 442424. That has been kept for spares. The plan from reading is to modify it to work with mk3s. A cab from 442405 is at the cab yard too. There is some carriages at eastleigh but I do not think they are to do with northumbria rail.

D365

Veteran Member
I'm confused about this Class 442 speculation. Northumbria Rail has picked up the one DTS, but what is the reason to spend any significant money on it?

On Moderation
Is that the Daily Express, Rail Express, or somewhere else?

Towers

Established Member
Have we had the Hex 332 yet? One driving vehicle retained by Siemens I believe, for display outside their premises somewhere. Total destruction order for the rest of the fleet, all were duly put through the Newport mincing machine.

I'm confused about this Class 442 speculation. Northumbria Rail has picked up the one DTS, but what is the reason to spend any significant money on it?
A 442 driving trailer on the end of a MK3 rake sounds a superb idea! :D

VEP3417

ive always wondered why thos 442 vehicles have remained at eastleigh for so long when all others have been scrapped or saved but havnt been able to find out why

there must be some sort of plan for them if they still exist

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
It is just the DTS from 2401 - the vehicle having previously been earmarked for a future with the NRM but since found itself on their asset disposal list. And it is indeed being modified to work with other Mk3s, including the removal of its bar coupler and replacement with an alliance coupler.

Progress photos and posts have been available on their Facebook page for some time.

D365

Veteran Member
Have we had the Hex 332 yet? One driving vehicle retained by Siemens I believe, for display outside their premises somewhere. Total destruction order for the rest of the fleet, all were duly put through the Newport mincing machine.
Not ”preserved” as such - three vehicles have been retained for private use.

DJ_K666

With Eurostar the great shame is the total destruction order on the 373s, I thought that a gutter out power car as a kitchen and a couple of carriages would have made a novel restaurant somewhere but alas it could not be.

There is one TSO from CIG 1306 in the car park at Hever which was previously owned by the business that occupied the former ticket office.
I wonder if they'd mind awfully if I went there with a tape measure to get a few crucial measurements of things like windows, radii, gangways etc. For modelling reasons obviously.

Not preserved but they still exist like you say for training purposes. If I remember this right there's a driving trailer & I think the shop coach.

They were but dunno if they are now based on a short section of track in an industrial estate not far from crewe station.
Tatton House. Its a nauseating corporate looking business park type place. The coaches are pretty out of the way but you can make out the roofs on Google maps in the car park.

Last edited:

MatthewRead

On Moderation
It is just the DTS from 2401 - the vehicle having previously been earmarked for a future with the NRM but since found itself on their asset disposal list. And it is indeed being modified to work with other Mk3s, including the removal of its bar coupler and replacement with an alliance coupler.

Progress photos and posts have been available on their Facebook page for some time.
What about the 442 on static display at Eastleigh could that not be returned for railtours on the Southern region we are quite miffed that they didn't get a proper send off and neither did the 456's :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some work was carried out on the Class 457 yesterday at the East Kent Railway. Myself and James where giving it a quick clean. Unfortunately we could not clean all of it due to the jet wash we had was broken and the line was in use after 1pm. Pics attached. It is planned to be cleaned more in the near future.

Attachments

• IMG_20220319_115709815.jpg
    IMG_20220319_115709815.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20220319_123937608.jpg
    IMG_20220319_123937608.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20220319_124005337.jpg
    IMG_20220319_124005337.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 71

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some work was carried out on the Class 457 yesterday at the East Kent Railway. Myself and James where giving it a quick clean. Unfortunately we could not clean all of it due to the jet wash we had was broken and the line was in use after 1pm. Pics attached. It is planned to be cleaned more in the near future.

Has that been repainted into Network Southeast at some point during preservation?

fgwrich

Established Member
What about the 442 on static display at Eastleigh could that not be returned for railtours on the Southern region we are quite miffed that they didn't get a proper send off and neither did the 456's :frown:
If your referring to the remaining 4 car set, no idea, ask Angel / Arlington / Raxstar. As for a farewell tour, ask SWR. They’re the ones that hacked around with their fleet after all.

All I know is that Northumbria Rail is currently working upon bringing their DTS back into serviceable condition, including making it more compatible with a standard Mk3 (than an EMU vehicle).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes. It was done at the Electric Railway Musuem at Coventry before it left. It cleans up ok but it will probably need redoing in the future.

Thanks for that. It’s nice to see it presented like that, I’ve always had a soft spot for that livery.

Thanks for that. It’s nice to see it presented like that, I’ve always had a soft spot for that livery.

Thank you. There is only two liveries it can have. BR blue representing the 210 DEMU which would be inaccurate due to the AC electric conversion or Network South East. It will be staying in NSE as it is representing three phase pioneer. One thing that is missing and will be reinstated in the future is the roller blinds. The rollers where in storage elsewhere but there was no blinds for it. Like buses two turned up online and both have been purchased for it. Once the rollers have been checked size wize they will be reinstated.

D365

Veteran Member
The 365s didn’t get a formal ”send-off” either, but that’s just the times we are in.

Fincra5

Established Member
The 365s didn’t get a formal ”send-off” either, but that’s just the times we are in.
They require a lot of planning being sorted by people in their own time, etc.

thedbdiboy

The sole preserved class 501 vehicles are a DMBS and a DTC - all the centre trailers were scrapped.

Yep but no idea who owns them currently or what the plans are if anything for them.
They went to Finmere initially and now they are with Coulsdon Old Vehicle & Engineering Society at MOD Bicester. There is a Facebook page but that has not been updated since 2020 (when it was at Finmere).

thedbdiboy

Yep but no idea who owns them currently or what the plans are if anything for them.

They went to Finmere initially and now they are with Coulsdon Old Vehicle & Engineering Society at MOD Bicester. There is a Facebook page but that has not been updated since 2020 (when it was at Finmere).
Yes, I've established that despite the lack of updates they are secure and being worked on.

CEPG

Class 309 (616, 624). Both units are ex departmental and both where shortened for testing of signalling systems. (3 carraiges in each).

Ayy, Old Bessie gets a Shoutout. Made an account here to discuss 309 624 which as of Saturday 19th March Passed into our care. She should now have a brighter future ahead, with restoration already underway.

For the Class 309s, there is also a spare TSO from 623 lurking at Carnforth

We are also acutely aware. We have made several contacts with Carnforth in the hope of one day purchasing it to slot in our set. At that point, for all purposes, 624 won't be classed as an incomplete unit, going back to the original 4 car formation.

Wolfie

Established Member
The shame over the 373's is not the lack of preservation but the scrapping of half the fleet only half way through its book life and probably much less through its potential service life. Yes, I know they were long trains and consumed prodigious amounts of power etc but stock should surely not be designed so narrowly to business specs that they can find no wider use when circumstances change.

BR had a word for it - "cascade".

WAO
They were also, in terms of corrosion etc, not in great shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.