• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Info required Rotterdam airport > Haarlem

Howardh

Established Member
Thinking of this trip in March. Using London City > Rotterdam to avoid Schiphol.

Once at the airport thinking of bus 33 from the airport to Meijersplien, take the metro to Den Haag centraal, then the train to Haarlem.

Question, how do I pay for that; I'm hoping that you simply present your credit/debit card on and off the bus, and also tap in and off the metro and get the rail ticket via the NS app. Also is there a possibility of one ticket airport/Den Haag maybe a regional one that covers Rotterdam/Den Haag?

Thanks!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrew

I can't comment on the bus but the metro can be tapped on and off with a Credit Card. I did it recently when doing Hook-van-Holland-Rotterdam Central->Utrecht Central last year.

Howardh

Established Member
I can't comment on the bus but the metro can be tapped on and off with a Credit Card. I did it recently when doing Hook-van-Holland-Rotterdam Central->Utrecht Central last year.
Thanks, I imagine that the bus is the same! How does the metro work, tap at the gate in and out just like the tube here?

Edit, since I asked I've been researching the current situation at Schiphol, and I learn there are new security lanes which are much faster and more traveller-orientated + you can book a free time slot, hopefully if I used that route in March there won't be the issues that they had a couple of summers ago.

But just finding my way from A to B, or rather departures 2 gate H etc etc worries me, last time I was there it was a bewildering experience and not my favourite airport by any stretch.

Last edited:

Beachcomber

Nearly all public transport in the Netherlands supports debit and credit cards now. Since all fares are distance based, remember to check-in as well as -out on every vehicle (tram, bus), or when leaving a station (metro, train), even when there are no gates. Note that by changing from metro (Randstadrail) to the train at Den Haag Laan van NOI, you may save some time. Haarlem trains stop there.

miklcct

On Moderation
Nearly all public transport in the Netherlands supports debit and credit cards now. Since all fares are distance based, remember to check-in as well as -out on every vehicle (tram, bus), or when leaving a station (metro, train), even when there are no gates. Note that by changing from metro (Randstadrail) to the train at Den Haag Laan van NOI, you may save some time. Haarlem trains stop there.
Also you need to tap out and in when switching between transport providers even in the same station, but not metros / trains within the same provider unless you are forced to do so.

At some stations where multiple providers share the same gated area, you must use the correct gate for the provider. The exit gate won't open if you haven't tap in.

Howardh

Established Member
Also you need to tap out and in when switching between transport providers even in the same station, but not metros / trains within the same provider unless you are forced to do so.

At some stations where multiple providers share the same gated area, you must use the correct gate for the provider. The exit gate won't open if you haven't tap in.

Thanks - that's not very "tourist friendly"; frankly I'd have no idea which provider I was using!

biko

All metros in Rotterdam are operated by RET, so no worries there. The trains you could use are all operated by NS, so also no need to worry about that. Only remember to check out and check in again when changing from metro to train (if also using the credit card for travel with NS). Using credit card for travel on the trains will be the same price as buying an e-ticket in the app on the day, as they both will be the full second class fare.

If travelling off-peak, you might be able to save some money (10 or 20%) by buying an off-peak early booking ticket: https://www.ns.nl/en/featured/off-peak-early-booking