• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Insomnia and anxiety issues anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakta

redacted, whilst it was good to share might have been a bit heavy!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dakta

** Deleted ** - browser gave the impression the thread had been moderated !
wouldn't surprise me, but nah I gave a bit of a run of some things going on and whilst nice to type out might have been a bit of an overshare

malc-c

wouldn't surprise me, but nah I gave a bit of a run of some things going on and whilst nice to type out might have been a bit of an overshare
Well if typing it out, but not posting helped then it's a positive.

dakta

haha I'm not intending to be cryptic - my fight for 2023 has been predominantly work related. My job monitors communications and I found a certain level of management actually sharing details of my health and criticising me to colleagues, unrelated managers and friends.

I raised a greivance which was not even investigated (a SAR later revealed it'd been pushed under the carpet as well as other employer benefits cut to try and ease me out such as awards for high performance which had been told to be passed on but never were) , but was investigated myself because reporting the bullying was technically outside of my remit which is basically to look for business threats.

It got quite nasty as the manager defending my manager tried to set industry regulators on me - I'm not actually regulated but they tried it anyway and I ended up calling a meeting with them myself to get them to tell the company to back off. It got quite nasty fast and it's turned into a massive HR deal, I don't actually mind sharing the saga I haven't really talked to anyone about it but it has been all consuming on top of the MH stuff as I do actually rather like my job, this has been going on 12 months now.

On the bright side, despite a massive push by certain people to lose my career, there's been enough evidence of corruption found to cause some concerns so... we'll have to see. I actually feel quite positive at the moment but I think it's because it's been a fight to get heard but now i've broken through it feels like HR is like 'oh crap'

I could do to talk about it really (still unsure if I'm the bad guy or not) , but it's such a saga it'd be a six hours down the pub job.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have drafted and deleted a couple of responses to this thread but just decided to go for it - if I over share so be it! I was challenged to be more open about my issues so here goes!

Firstly anyone who knows me will laugh if I say I have anxiety issues but I do. I have done for a long time. The person I am on this board is a toned down version of me in real life and I am not anxious, at least on the surface.

I have OCD and have had for a long time and it got to a point where it was starting to impact on my life and be noticed by other people. My OCD is about structure and process rather than compulsive washing or cleaning or anything of that sort. When it is bad I cant function outside of my routine. I cant go for a pint or to the pictures after work because ROUTINE! If I don't do the routine something bad but unspecified will happen. That could be anything from a late bus to work to being hit by a bus. Oddly the only safe spaces I had were work or at my partners. The first because the routine was designed to get me to and through a day at work without anyone noticing I was mad and the second because my brain hadn't thought to make it a problem.

It got to point where I needed to sort things out or I would sink. I had always been very anxious about the routine and thought the anxiety was a symptom of the OCD. It turns out the OCD was my brains way of managing anxiety and it was only after I got some really helpful treatment for the OCD that the anxiety showed itself.

I got to a stage where I couldn't make a decision for over thinking and catastrophising everything. I made myself get through the days at work (mainly because I am VERY stubborn and have learned to hide the mentalism) but I was starting to fall apart at home. I was also going through a really stressful period at work and it was starting to cause me to explode. I lost my rag ( really lost my rag) with a senior manager which was what told a couple of people things weren't right. They intervened and started the help process. I had to admit at the point things were bad. The senior person also called me when I was off sick to ask if I was ok and to say they didn't hold it against me.

Ultimately I was signed off work for a few months ( two periods : OCD and then anxiety) and really well supported by my employer. I have a new job, less stress and feel quite good.

Luckily ( I know it isn't like this elsewhere) we have a very good community mental health programme in MK. I got treatment for my OCD and then for my anxiety. My Dr was superb and got me medication, counselling and CBT which has really helped. I was on 200 mg sertraline for quite a while and I did have a visit or two to the crisis café when things got out of hand but I got through it. I wasn't ever a risk to myself or others but on a couple of occasions my brain just crashed and I was a bit manic. ( in MK you can self refer to the community team at any point WITOUT a Drs intervention)

I found really committing ( REALLY committing - not just turning up) to the counselling and CBT has been illuminating and vastly helpful not only for ma treatment but also a personal development point of view. After a long period of care and treatment my OCD is under control as is my anxiety. I have a few flashes of the later from time to time but some of the skills from the CBT have got me through.

I cant claim any expertise but CBT and counselling have really worked for me. All I will say is that if you are struggling talk to someone. Don't suffer. Just talk and get some help. These days most places and most people are supportive of mental health issues and the earlier you tackle the issue the easier it will be to sort out.

@malc-c & @GS250 - keep going with treatment and don't be scared to ask for help.

Last edited:

malc-c

@DarloRich Thanks for opening up. Forums are good for this as it's faceless, so you don't have other emotions to overcome when getting things off your chest.

Your post is also inspirational as often CBT and access to other support organisations are deemed a waste of time, or for others rather than the level you categorise yourself in. Talking is good. Through walking my new GSD I met several people on a regular basis. My GSD took a shine to a cocker spaniel and we all meet up at noon on Saturdays and Sundays to walk the dogs through the local woods. We talk about anything, but they know all about my struggles and they have also opened up more about their conditions. It's become a group therapy of sorts that I look forward to, plus the dogs get a lot of exercise. Two years ago I would never have thought I would be able to do this, but now its a regular part of my routine. And that's the key... I think we are most settled when we do routine things. When that routine is changed, especially at short notice that the anxieties build up and we struggle.

Pete_uk

Established Member
I spent ten years on Zopiclone. Lovely stuff! Shuts the mind up and away I go.
I would love to have some now.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Thanks for opening up. Forums are good for this as it's faceless, so you don't have other emotions to overcome when getting things off your chest.
thanks - i can only try and use my experience to help others. I claim no expertise just personal reflection and learning.

Your post is also inspirational as often CBT and access to other support organisations are deemed a waste of time, or for others rather than the level you categorise yourself in.
You have to commit to it fully in my view and in doing so you have to be very vulnerable and open. Just being a passengers wont help.

Two years ago I would never have thought I would be able to do this, but now its a regular part of my routine.
that is really positive - keep it up!

TheSmiths82

I spent ten years on Zopiclone. Lovely stuff! Shuts the mind up and away I go.
I would love to have some now.
Did it not make you tired in the mornings though?

I had a really bad night on Sunday. I think I got less than two hours sleep as the longer the night went on there more I was worried that I wasn't getting to the sleep and the cycle just restarted :( It was very cold and I was just going to the toilet constantly. Thankfully last night I slept a bit better but I feel tired now. My sleep issues only seem to be an issue when I am up early for work. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I just go to the bed earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.