• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inspector Sands at Finsbury Park 19/12/23

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I once worked as an area controller at a theme park in the Alton area of Staffordshire. (Could be one of several!) They wanted to be secretive about everything (understandably) so used "code 10" or "code 15" etc for everything on radios. One day a security guard came into my office and asked to use the phone. He rang security control and said "You've just asked if I can attend code 13, but I can't remember what it is?" :D

Recessio

Are there any other code words apart from Inspector Sands used on station PAs?

I know passenger ships often use code words though they can vary by operator.

The Phil Sayer audio recordings have a few other phrases. "Would Mr Neptune please go to the Town Centre immediately" and "would the superindendent of the line please go to the carriage depot". I'm not sure what these would be used for.

The recordings and transcript are on Github. I'm sure there's also a thread here on rail forums but I can't find it. https://github.com/Rail-Announcements/ketech-llpa-announcements/blob/main/Male1_transcriptions.csv

The Phil Sayer audio recordings have a few other phrases. "Would Mr Neptune please go to the Town Centre immediately" and "would the superindendent of the line please go to the carriage depot". I'm not sure what these would be used for.

The recordings and transcript are on Github. I'm sure there's also a thread here on rail forums but I can't find it. https://github.com/Rail-Announcements/ketech-llpa-announcements/blob/main/Male1_transcriptions.csv

Neptune could be flooding / a pipe burst or something, I suppose?

jon81uk

When I worked at Birmingham New Street station the announcement was “Staff Call One Hundred” instead of Inspector Sands. No idea why they used it there and I’ve not heard anywhere else. Not sure if this is still used since the station refurb.
When I worked in a department store the pre-alarm was also Staff Call One Hundred.

GatwickDepress

Established Member

I believe the latter used solely at Cardiff Central Station. Part of railway tradition moreso than anything else?

Mr Neptune is one I've heard outside of the railway, so I suspect it may have been an attempt to replace Inspector Sands, now more people are aware of that message.

MrJeeves

Established Member
ISTR Cardiff Central’s version was something like “Would the Superintendent of the Line please go to the carriage sidings”.
"carriage depot", I believe.

This was used on the KeTech announcement system:

View attachment would the superindendent of the line please go to the carriage depot.mp3

View attachment would the superindendent of the line please go to the carriage depot.mp3

Phil's Inspector Sands is still very popular today on London Underground and on some National Rail stations, too. This was provided as part of the Telent system:

View attachment would inspector sands please go to the operations room immediately.mp3

geoffk

Established Member
I believe the latter used solely at Cardiff Central Station. Part of railway tradition moreso than anything else?

Mr Neptune is one I've heard outside of the railway, so I suspect it may have been an attempt to replace Inspector Sands, now more people are aware of that message.
Don't panic, Mr. Mainwaring.

Meerkat

Established Member
This might be more useful, I doubt it will cause panic but it may prevent someone for instance deciding it's a good time to go to the toilet or start ordering food.
I would take that as my cue to go to the loo!
I liked being an office fire marshal as I was suppose to check no one was in the loos on my way out, so had the excuse to go myself. Always pick your coat up on the way out too. You don’t need many long waits out in the cold to learn these lessons!

Wolfie

Established Member
Because how long would it take, and how difficult would it be, to brief all staff about the change of name? And the cost of upgrading systems.
So what if the public know what it means? Its hardly a state secret
It does rather undermine the rationale behind bringing it in initially though....

Had Inspector Sands on the Northern Line the other day....

Springs Branch

Established Member
So what if the public know what it means? Its hardly a state secret
Speaking of secret codes which may or may not be so secret - on 8 September 2022, I wonder whether anyone in the higher echelons of government, military etc. ever used "London Bridge is down" in the way it was allegedly intended to be used?

Was this phrase just a convenient decoy for all the mug punters who thought they were 'in the know'?
What did the grave-faced official who sidled into the room at No.10 really whisper into Liz Truss's ear that afternoon?

Jimini

Established Member
I would take that as my cue to go to the loo!
I liked being an office fire marshal as I was suppose to check no one was in the loos on my way out, so had the excuse to go myself. Always pick your coat up on the way out too. You don’t need many long waits out in the cold to learn these lessons!

A few years ago, the fire alarm in our office went off at around 8:30am. Unfortunately for me and five other blokes, we were all in the basement locker room having a shower after cycling into town. Talk about bad timing! o_O

adc82140

Established Member
I once heard "Inspecteur Sands au chef de Gare" at the old Waterloo International.

John Luxton

Established Member
Speaking of secret codes which may or may not be so secret - on 8 September 2022, I wonder whether anyone in the higher echelons of government, military etc. ever used "London Bridge is down" in the way it was allegedly intended to be used?

Was this phrase just a convenient decoy for all the mug punters who thought they were 'in the know'?
What did the grave-faced official who sidled into the room at No.10 really whisper into Liz Truss's ear that afternoon?
"The XXXXXXX Bridge is down" codes for the Royal Family first appeared in the press around 20 years ago.

They may have others - but I imagine most people will have forgotten them except those that like to remember that sort of thing.

I don't suppose it matters if people know them - it is hardly going to cause a mass panic.

FGW_DID

Established Member

‘London Bridge‘ was just the name of the Operation Order, IIRC there was also a ‘Forth Bridge’ and maybe one other. Which operation was implemented was dependant on whether it was the Monarch or another senior royal which had passed.

A few years ago, the fire alarm in our office went off at around 8:30am. Unfortunately for me and five other blokes, we were all in the basement locker room having a shower after cycling into town. Talk about bad timing! o_O

Being sat on the loo, when the ‘incoming’ rocket attack alarm goes - that’s bad timing! o_Oo_O

Wolfie

Established Member

It certainly was used inside the Civil Service.

irp

London Bridge was the codename for the plan for HM Queen Elizabeth's Death. The Code "Word(s)", Were "London Bridge Is Down", to inform the needed people without alerting everyone, before the Media and PR could be managed. This is well documented on Wikipedia and other media sources

Forth Bridge was HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.
Tay Bridge was HM The Queen Mother
Menai Bridge is HRH Prince Charles (as was, Now HM King Charles (May have changed now he's not Prince of Wales)

Last edited:

Andrew S

West end theatres have assorted codewords for fires, alarm activations, suspicious packages, lost children.

Meerkat

Established Member
Five different showers…right?

Surprised London Bridge was used as there is a major station of that name that could cause confusion.
”London Bridge is down”
”stupid buggers should have left it how it was, worked fine before…”

Purple Train

Established Member

Surprised London Bridge was used as there is a major station of that name that could cause confusion.
”London Bridge is down”
Not nearly as bad as using Tower Bridge...

Jimini

Established Member

”London Bridge is down”

Yep all individual cubicles! :)

satisnek

I can remember a few years back passing through Kings Cross Underground station and seeing the plaque commemorating the 1987 fire. As I was looking at it an 'Inspector Sands' announcement went out. That was spooky!

Dave W

It certainly was used inside the Civil Service.

The term "London Bridge" was certainly used - and there is a "bridges" team knocking about who do all the planning for this sort of thing.

I'd be surprised if anyone actually said the phrase "London Bridge is down" in a legitimate work setting - it's quite a crass way of putting it and feels very Hollywood. I know I didn't, anyroad.

The entire "project" was conducted as Op LONDON BRIDGE though, as others have said. Quite the undertaking.

FGW_DID

Established Member
The term "London Bridge" was certainly used - and there is a "bridges" team knocking about who do all the planning for this sort of thing.

I'd be surprised if anyone actually said the phrase "London Bridge is down" in a legitimate work setting - it's quite a crass way of putting it and feels very Hollywood. I know I didn't, anyroad.

The entire "project" was conducted as Op LONDON BRIDGE though, as others have said. Quite the undertaking.

Quite agree, it does sound very Hollywood and no doubt picked up and sensationalised by the media.

I was on duty at RAF St Athan, the night that Princess Diana passed away. When the news broke on the TV, after retrieving the appropriate Operation Order from the cabinet, it was a simple phone call to summon the Orderly Officer. “Sir, there has been some sad news, you may wish to attend the Guardroom!”Whilst we may or may not have mentioned the Op Order name, if it was, it certainly wasn’t used in that manner.

The only other well known situation I can think of where the message “……… is down” has been used , is when Col H Jones of the Parachute Regt. was killed in the Battle for Goose Green in the Falkland Islands 1982 and the radio message was, “Sunray is down!” Sunray being the radio callsign of the Commanding Officer.

The Puddock

The bit I was involved with - having practiced several times in tabletop exercises, never thinking it would actually be used - was Op UNICORN.

Jimini

Established Member
The bit I was involved with - having practiced several times in tabletop exercises, never thinking it would actually be used - was Op UNICORN.

Same here aye. I seem to recall that Operation Unicorn was the name for the specific plan if she died in Scotland (which of course she did in the end).