• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

InterCity 125 HST memories; past, current and future trips on HSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
One thing I'm beginning to regret is not doing many cheap First Advance Singles on the GWR HST's.

My first ever train trip in First Class was on a Class 180, 10:01 from Oxford to London Paddington on the 01/06/16 and the 13:22 HST back, Coach L.
First Class Off-Peak Day Return I got. Never mind, it was worth it!

My other 2 journeys in First Class on a GWR HST were the 15:07 from Newton Abbot to Reading on the 01/07/19 (upgrade as I was delayed into Totnes from Didcot basically and I caught a 4-car Voyager on the 14:50 from Totnes).

Then it was the 07/04/18 - I was gonna upgrade on either the 08:13 from Didcot Parkway to Plymouth or the 16:00 from Plymouth to Reading. Seen as both ran in reverse formation, I decided to do it on the 08:13 as instinct said to do that compared to the afternoon train.

So the 3 First Class fares totalled £95 - £45 to and from Oxford and Paddington, and 2 x £25 weekend upgrades (1 for the 15:07 and one for the 08:13).

Let's say that next year (if I go to Scotland), I can afford to buy 2 First Advance Singles for 2 train trips in Scotland next year - a Scotrail HST from Edinburgh to Aberdeen and an LNER Azuma back.

The fact that Scotrail are keeping the GWR First Class interiors but with the odd few tweaks means it's hard to beat. I think they have a modern and vintage feel about them - mind-soothing I say!

Peter C

Established Member
Has anyone here seen the ScotRail HSTs? How are the old GWR ones doing in Scotland? They better be looking after them! :)

-Peter

scotrail158713

Established Member
Has anyone here seen the ScotRail HSTs? How are the old GWR ones doing in Scotland? They better be looking after them! :)

-Peter
I’ve not had the chance to try them yet - I really want to though. From what I’ve read on here it sounds like GWR didn’t take great care of the HSTs they sent up here as the non-refurb sets are suffering from all sorts of reliability issues. The refurbs are taking forever to come out of Wabtec in Doncaster but the finished product is reportedly excellent - even ‘normal’ passengers are noticing the upgrade from 158s/170s.

Peter C

Established Member
I’ve not had the chance to try them yet - I really want to though. From what I’ve read on here it sounds like GWR didn’t take great care of the HSTs they sent up here as the non-refurb sets are suffering from all sorts of reliability issues. The refurbs are taking forever to come out of Wabtec in Doncaster but the finished product is reportedly excellent - even ‘normal’ passengers are noticing the upgrade from 158s/170s.
Oh no! I travelled on many HSTs with GWR, and I can say that whilst they were alright, they were far from perfect! There were aspects of them, like the 166s, which were being held together with duct tape!
Hopefully they will all be properly refurbished and they will be given the new lease of life they need.

-Peter

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I'm not sure how many refurbished sets Scotrail have got (7 I believe) but I've a feeling we're getting there as regards the refurbished HST's!

Since HST's have been reduced, it's made me fall in love with (and encouraging me to) choosing to reserve a seat in the Mark 3 coach next to the power car - in fact when I go on a GWR 2+4 set, I'll aim for the back of Coach A or D (D being the front or rear coach) depending how the train is formed.

That's one great thing about going First Class on a Scotrail HST - the First Class coach is next to the power car!

I think my favourite window table seats in Standard Class on the XC HST's are the ones where the table in Coach G (Quiet Coach) next to the Guards Van which conveniently happens to be roughly where the train manager's office is - handy if I need him or her for good reason obviously :)!

Peter C

Established Member
I'm not sure how many refurbished sets Scotrail have got (7 I believe) but I've a feeling we're getting there as regards the refurbished HST's!

Since HST's have been reduced, it's made me fall in love with (and encouraging me to) choosing to reserve a seat in the Mark 3 coach next to the power car - in fact when I go on a GWR 2+4 set, I'll aim for the back of Coach A or D (D being the front or rear coach) depending how the train is formed.

That's one great thing about going First Class on a Scotrail HST - the First Class coach is next to the power car!

I think my favourite window table seats in Standard Class on the XC HST's are the ones where the table in Coach G (Quiet Coach) next to the Guards Van which conveniently happens to be roughly where the train manager's office is - handy if I need him or her for good reason obviously :)!
Interesting. It's nice to know that these engines which I remember seeing fly up and down the Cotswold Line are now having a chance to do it up in Scotland. I never really got to the point where I knew which was the best seat to sit at, but if I had travelled a bit more on the HSTs I'm sure it would have got to that point! :)

-Peter

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Interesting. It's nice to know that these engines which I remember seeing fly up and down the Cotswold Line are now having a chance to do it up in Scotland. I never really got to the point where I knew which was the best seat to sit at, but if I had travelled a bit more on the HSTs I'm sure it would have got to that point! :)

-Peter

Definitely in the Quiet coaches on the XC, EMR, LNER and I guess in Coach A on the GWR Castle HST's, there's a single (but airline) seat which is also at the Guards Van end of the coach.

Peter C

Established Member
Definitely in the Quiet coaches on the XC, EMR, LNER and I guess in Coach A on the GWR Castle HST's, there's a single (but airline) seat which is also at the Guards Van end of the coach.
Interesting. I never liked the quiet coaches on trains when I was younger, but looking back on it being able to hear the 43 and the Mk3s without the noises of phones, etc., would have been lovely!

-Peter

scotrail158713

Established Member
Oh no! I travelled on many HSTs with GWR, and I can say that whilst they were alright, they were far from perfect! There were aspects of them, like the 166s, which were being held together with duct tape!
Hopefully they will all be properly refurbished and they will be given the new lease of life they need.

-Peter
I know GWR HSTs are in decent condition for the age they are. What I am saying is that early 2018 GWR seem to have thought “These 26 HSTs are off to Scotrail in a few months so we’ll not maintain them as well as the ones we’re keeping”. I’m only basing this off the HST thread though - I don’t know for myself if this is completely true.
Also, Scotrail maintenance staff either haven’t worked with HSTs for years, or haven’t worked with them full stop. This means they’re still getting to grips with issues that GWR or LNER would see as more simple to fix.

Peter C

Established Member
I know GWR HSTs are in decent condition for the age they are. What I am saying is that early 2018 GWR seem to have thought “These 26 HSTs are off to Scotrail in a few months so we’ll not maintain them as well as the ones we’re keeping”. I’m only basing this off the HST thread though - I don’t know for myself if this is completely true.
Also, Scotrail maintenance staff either haven’t worked with HSTs for years, or haven’t worked with them full stop. This means they’re still getting to grips with issues that GWR or LNER would see as more simple to fix.
Oh OK - I can't say anything about the quality of the HST GTi sets, so I'll take your word for it! :)
I saw an article online about how ScotRail had to make a video on YouTube to tell people how to open the doors on the HSTs..... Honestly!

-Peter

scotrail158713

Established Member
Oh OK - I can't say anything about the quality of the HST GTi sets, so I'll take your word for it! :)
I saw an article online about how ScotRail had to make a video on YouTube to tell people how to open the doors on the HSTs..... Honestly!

-Peter
I understand what you mean but Scotrail routes only see a few slam-door trains all day so to most passengers it’s a completely new concept. It also helps foreign tourists that are often found on the HML. I think everybody’s getting used to it now though.

Peter C

Established Member
I understand what you mean but Scotrail routes only see a few slam-door trains all day so to most passengers it’s a completely new concept. It also helps foreign tourists that are often found on the HML. I think everybody’s getting used to it now though.
I understand - I meant it more in a jokey manner - the article I read said that slam-doors were being reintroduced, and I thought it was a bit weird that they had to make a video seeing as they will all have labels inside saying what to do! :)

-Peter

scotrail158713

Established Member
I understand - I meant it more in a jokey manner - the article I read said that slam-doors were being reintroduced, and I thought it was a bit weird that they had to make a video seeing as they will all have labels inside saying what to do! :)

-Peter
Ah ok :)

Status
Not open for further replies.