• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intercity Push/Pull Railtour

Status
Not open for further replies.

12LDA28C

Established Member
It’s a private charter that has been made available generally, be happy for that!

Exactly. There is no obligation on behalf of the operator to open it up to fare-paying passengers and there was no guarantee until now that the loco would be available. Some people just love to moan, whatever the situation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
For anyone unable to do this tour last time, a re-run is planned for the first weekend in August (4th-6th), bookings will open next week on the IC website.

For anyone unable to do this tour last time, a re-run is planned for the first weekend in August (4th-6th), bookings will open next week on the IC website.
was redated to 22-24 Sept 2023 re difficulty passengers had booking accommodation in Edinburgh in festival period
anyone know if expected to go ahead, no times in RTT yet

Yeah thats the problem I saw although the tour itself was a bargain price the cost/availability of accommodation in Edinburgh and Inverness in August is massively prohibitive

12LDA28C

Established Member
Yeah thats the problem I saw although the tour itself was a bargain price the cost/availability of accommodation in Edinburgh and Inverness in August is massively prohibitive

And yet the train is being run specifically for prospective participants living north of the border which makes you wonder why they would need a hotel in Edinburgh, if they live in the vicinity. Even in August there were plenty of reasonable hotel options along the E-G corridor with only a short journey required to pick up the tour at either Edinburgh or Glasgow. Inverness was not that expensive either.

matchmaker

Established Member
And yet the train is being run specifically for prospective participants living north of the border which makes you wonder why they would need a hotel in Edinburgh, if they live in the vicinity. Even in August there were plenty of reasonable hotel options along the E-G corridor with only a short journey required to pick up the tour at either Edinburgh or Glasgow. Inverness was not that expensive either.
Hope it's not cancelled. I'm booked on it with my wife. Premier Inn in Inverness is a bit pricy at £168, but it's a bit of an early Christmas present for us both!

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hope it's not cancelled. I'm booked on it with my wife. Premier Inn in Inverness is a bit pricy at £168, but it's a bit of an early Christmas present for us both!

I hope the same - I'm also booked, and was on the first proposed dates in August.

The tour is shown 'Fully Booked' now on the website which I'm not convinced is good news - this means it either is fully booked, which I find hard to believe or they've stopped taking bookings because they are planning to cancel it.

Last edited:

matchmaker

Established Member
I hope the same - I'm also booked, and was on the first proposed dates in August.

The tour is shown 'Fully Booked' now on the website which I'm not convinced is good news - this means it either is fully booked, which I find hard to believe or they've stopped taking bookings because they are planning to cancel it.
Hope it's not the latter.

bleeder4

Confirmed cancelled due to lack of bookings. What a shame. New tours going on their website in November for early next year apparently.

What can be done to invigorate the INTERCITY railtours brand? The other LSL brands are thriving.
Get 45118 to work im sure they would get them full, I was properly looking forward to those two tours last year until they changed traction/got cancelled . After all nobody else has access to a peak and hasn't done since 45112 got binned off and that was a very long time ago now,2006???

North-Valiant

I went on the tour in Feb and would certainly have done it again but for the hugely expensive hotel costs. in Feb I got in to Two, very nice, hotels for about £160 total in Edinburgh and Inverness. The price for the same hotel in Edinburgh this time was £360!

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Get 45118 to work im sure they would get them full, I was properly looking forward to those two tours last year until they changed traction/got cancelled . After all nobody else has access to a peak and hasn't done since 45112 got binned off and that was a very long time ago now,2006???
Is that correct ? I heard a rumour that a different 45 was being prepared for the mainline to 45118. I took that to be the reemergence of 45112

12LDA28C

Established Member

45118 should be out on the mainline by next Summer.

45118 should be out on the mainline by next Summer.
I shall do my upmost to be there for it, but I admit I would be happier booking if it does some test runs before they advertise them, I just hope they think about a run out of Kings Cross before the new signals make it a no go

12LDA28C

Established Member
I shall do my upmost to be there for it, but I admit I would be happier booking if it does some test runs before they advertise them, I just hope they think about a run out of Kings Cross before the new signals make it a no go

Why out of King's Cross? The southern end of the ECML was hardly a 'Peak' stronghold (apart from Class 46s).

Why out of King's Cross? The southern end of the ECML was hardly a 'Peak' stronghold (apart from Class 46s).
Well although its true they weren't every day but they did sub in if a deltic or a generator 47 couldn't be dug up admittedly 46s were probably more common than 45s but as I say St Pancras must be on the list of places to go but with the Kings Cross signalling work the opportunity to run a tour out of there will be short, im surprised they never thought of running either the 86 or a 87 up to Stirling with the Mk3 DVT set, up to Edinburgh for the norms then add on mini effort for Scottish cranks

Status
Not open for further replies.