• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

INTERCITY Railtours Rolling Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Noticed that the recent INTERCITY railtours have used mark 1 coaches vice the first class mark 3 set. Are they all first class?

Would you be disappointed with the swap? Are seating numbers the same?

I travelled on the Clansman in February and the first class mark 3s were spot on for that train. Can imagine mark 1s and the 20s and Deltic were a popular swap.

Wonder how things will be marketed in the future?

Interesting times.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Noticed that the recent INTERCITY railtours have used mark 1 coaches vice the first class mark 3 set. Are they all first class?
Yes, all first class in the Mark 1 coaches as well.

The Mark 3 coaches were needed for 'The Friday Charter' and running on behalf of Avanti over the weekend before.

Would you be disappointed with the swap? Are seating numbers the same?
The Mark 1s seat 6 fewer passengers - 42 vs 48 because there are 7 seating bays rather than 8.

I suspect most people weren't disappointed given the ability to open windows and take in the sound. The Mark 1s are the best rake of such stock on the railway.

Wonder how things will be marketed in the future?
The INTERCITY operation is likely to continue to be marketed on the basis of the Mark 3 stock given the primary use of the Mark 1s is on Saphos trips.

The issue is that LSL have three rakes of hauled stock (Saphos Mark 1s, Statesman Mark 2s, INTERCITY Mark 3s) for four operations - those three and Steam Dreams. The Saphos operation is always going to have first call on the Mark 1s.

fgwrich

Established Member
It does rather feel that they’ve muddied their own waters now - by setting out in having the 3 rakes for 3 different operations (or 1 rake each) then an “Intercity” charter could end up with the Mk1s, Steam Dreams with Mk2 Air Cons or Mk3s, and Saphos with Mk1s or Mk2s.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Beyond the "intercity" branded trains does it matter what type of carriage is used? Would most people notice?

( Note: Not most people here but most people in the target demographic)

_toommm_

Established Member
I'd say that the MK1 seats were a little uncomfortable towards the end of the Ayrliner, but that was a really long tour anyway; so for most, I can't see them being a issue. Plus, being able to open the window and hear the 20s up the inclines was brilliant.

Established Member
Only in that it is marketed as INTERCITY mark 3s on the website and marketing material.

Apologies I’m missing something obvious, but where is the specific reference to mk3s on the website/marketing material?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I would be happy for MK1 and MK2s, as I think you can open the top lights windows, not sure if you can on MK3s?

Mainliner

Apologies I’m missing something obvious, but where is the specific reference to mk3s on the website/marketing material?

Perhaps the website has been updated following the use of the Mk3s on the Friday charters, but in the brochure - for example, in relation to the forthcoming Severn Valley trip - it says “Starting at Newcastle upon Tyne, our Class 55 ‘Deltic’ hauled charter will take our First Class Mark 3 InterCity carriages …”

Iskra

Established Member
The MK1 stock is stunning, I’d always be happier with it. Only advantage of the mk3’s is power sockets for charging devices on.

chefchenko

Personally I was delighted with the mk 1 stock on the recent Scarborough trip , comfy seats and opening windows ,and still great on board staff

Personally I was delighted with the mk 1 stock on the recent Scarborough trip , comfy seats and opening windows ,and still great on board staff
Yes I fully agree i was on that one and their stock really makes other operators look very shabby in comparison, pity about their motive power issues

Status
Not open for further replies.