• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intermodal day tickets in UK cities (and beyond)

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
The likely demise of the Day Travelcard in London, reported elsewhere on this forum, has prompted me to enquire how many other cities offer a similar ticket. In the recent past I've used

Greater Manchester Wayfarer - allows travel for a day anywhere in GM and parts of Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire and Staffordshire. Not valid on trains to Warrington West or between Warrington BQ and Wigan NW. Travel on any participating bus at any time, also on Metrolink trams or any train run by a participating company after 09.30 Monday to Friday, and at any time weekends and bank holidays.

Merseyside Saveaway - an off-peak ticket for buses, trains and Mersey Ferries (direct river crossings only), valid after 09.30 Mondays to Fridays and all day on SSu and BH. Valid on trains only to Chester, Ellesmere Port and Ormskirk.

Nottingham Robin Hood ticket - a rail/bus/tram ticket offering unlimited travel on participating operators within the greater Nottingham area. Train travel is permitted from Nottingham to/from Bulwell, Carlton, Netherfield and Attenborough.

When I visited Cork in 2012, I bought a combined bus/rail ticket which was valid on trains to Cobh and Midleton (sic) as well as city bus services. I seem to remember the airport bus wasn’t included.

Such tickets are common in European cities and it's surely a retrograde step for our capital city not to offer one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bakerstreet

Birmingham has the n network ticket for unlimited train bus and tram travel.

1 day nnetwork Zones 1-5​

£9.60 a day​

Unlimited regional bus*, tram and train travel within the specified West Midlands rail zones
Operator:
All Operators*
Where to buy:
  • Rail stations
  • On Bus
  • On Metro
  • Swift PAYG

danielcanning

On Moderation
The likely demise of the Day Travelcard in London, reported elsewhere on this forum, has prompted me to enquire how many other cities offer a similar ticket. In the recent past I've used

Greater Manchester Wayfarer - allows travel for a day anywhere in GM and parts of Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire and Staffordshire. Not valid on trains to Warrington West or between Warrington BQ and Wigan NW. Travel on any participating bus at any time, also on Metrolink trams or any train run by a participating company after 09.30 Monday to Friday, and at any time weekends and bank holidays.

Merseyside Saveaway - an off-peak ticket for buses, trains and Mersey Ferries (direct river crossings only), valid after 09.30 Mondays to Fridays and all day on SSu and BH. Valid on trains only to Chester, Ellesmere Port and Ormskirk.

Nottingham Robin Hood ticket - a rail/bus/tram ticket offering unlimited travel on participating operators within the greater Nottingham area. Train travel is permitted from Nottingham to/from Bulwell, Carlton, Netherfield and Attenborough.

When I visited Cork in 2012, I bought a combined bus/rail ticket which was valid on trains to Cobh and Midleton (sic) as well as city bus services. I seem to remember the airport bus wasn’t included.

Such tickets are common in European cities and it's surely a retrograde step for our capital city not to offer one.
But TfL aren't getting rid of unlimited travel, you can still travel around all day on the bus/train/Tube by using the oyster/contactless cap. I don't see what all the fuss is about the day travelcard withdrawal to be honest...

Established Member
But TfL aren't getting rid of unlimited travel, you can still travel around all day on the bus/train/Tube by using the oyster/contactless cap. I don't see what all the fuss is about the day travelcard withdrawal to be honest...
Because contactless/oyster isn’t really suitable for spinning units all day!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation

Newcastle £12.70 North East Explorer - valid on all buses, the Tyne & Wear Metro & Northern Rail (between Blaydon & Sunderland only)

johncrossley

Established Member
I don't see what all the fuss is about the day travelcard withdrawal to be honest...

The Inboundary Day Travelcard is now hardly used. The fuss is nearly all about the Outboundary Day Travelcard. Project Oval will alleviate the loss of the Outboundary Day Travelcard to some extent, but for many people it will likely mean paying separately for the train to London and travel within London.

_toommm_

Established Member
The People’s Republic of South Yorkshire has one called the SYConnect+ valid on all buses trams and trains, and a SYConnect valid on buses and trams. There’s also bus only versions for the two towns and two cities.

Benjwri

Established Member
Bristol and the wider West of England area have the ‘Freedom travelpass’,
which allows unlimited travel in a range of zones in daily, weekly or monthly tickets.

It’s also being integrated into the GWR PAYG scheme, with capping that caps journeys just below the Freedom travelpass tickets for relevant zones. (Although currently not supported on buses)

Sonic1234

The Inboundary Day Travelcard is now hardly used
Still useful for Two Together and Family railcard holders, and Network Railcard holders at weekends. See a fair few used by people in the Zone 6 towns, where the locals don't consider themselves part of London and "going up to London" is a big adventure for some.

Veteran Member
Among others there's the West Yorkshire DaySaver (I think that's the new name).

I don't know anywhere (UK or Europe) that has the equivalent of Outboundary TCs.

johncrossley

Established Member
I don't know anywhere (UK or Europe) that has the equivalent of Outboundary TCs.

Not quite the same, but very similar:

Belgium:

Travel combining rail and regional public transport in a city of your choice.

• SNCB: outward or return travel in 1st or 2nd class* (fare depending on the distance)
  • STIB or TEC network: roam freely for 1 day with connecting tram, bus or metro services for an additional €4,20(on top of your train ticket fare)
    • STIB: valid on the STIB network except for lines 12 and 21
    • TEC: valid in the TEC NEXT zone (1 to 2 contiguous TEC zones) from the destination station or stopping point on your SNCB journey

Germany:

City-Ticket and City mobil: Your local transport tickets for Germany​

Use the City-Ticket and City mobil options to take public transport services in town and city centres across Germany. When you travel by train, catching a bus, tram, U-Bahn or S-Bahn is the best way to get to and from the station.

City-Ticket​

• Free travel on public transport services to get you to the station where you start your train trip, and from the station where you disembark to your final destination
  • Automatically included in tickets (saver and flexible fares) for journeys of over 100 km
  • Valid in over 120 towns and cities in Germany in the applicable area of validity

Veteran Member
Not quite the same, but very similar:

Belgium:

Germany:

Didn't know about Brussels, thanks.
DB City-ticket is the equivalent of a London U12 destination - one trip only - though I suspect that isn't enforceable.
I also wondered about the outer reaches of Ile-de-France, but I've never really examined the ticketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.