• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interrail Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

CS2447

The prices of these are now quite high really, the cheapest for 4 days in 1 month still works out at £51 per day with Eurostar supplements on top.
long journeys would have to be completed in certain countries for this to be economical, once you get further East you would be hard pressed to
spend these amounts, the cheapest is a 1 month £18.56 per day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
The phrase "horses for courses" comes to mind.
Seat61's comments are sensible, though he perhaps underestimates how much Advance fares in mainland Europe have risen!
We had an extensive discussion on supplements recently.
I am about to use one for Saltaire-Nice (was via Modane!) which was planned at 6 weeks' notice and was easily cost-effective for weekend travel at Senior rate in 1st.

StephenHunter

Established Member
For domestic Polish journeys, you can get seat reservations at stations for a zloty a go. Just make sure you write down the details as station staff aren't always the most fluent in English.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
In recent years, promotions tend to come around Christmas and New Year, capturing the wanderlust that people are anticipating for the coming summer. You might want to look out then (and sign up for Interrail's email newsletter and Facebook page).

I thoroughly rinsed a two-month 2nd class global pass which I bought in the fiftieth anniversary sale. (But it was also useful as I'm no longer a UK resident and it allowed me some impulsive short-notice travel on a trip back to Britain).

I think if you avoid high-speed rail in France and Spain (and the Eurostar) then Interrail can still be good value. But you have to be travelling quite intensively and over longer distances. Simpler point-to-point trips with just three or four stops are often cheaper with advance purchase single fares.

DanielB

Simpler point-to-point trips with just three or four stops are often cheaper with advance purchase single fares.
You've got to be fair in comparing of course: with Interrail you've also got the freedom to change your plans last minute which you wouldn't have with advance singles.
I'd always compare with a walk up fare which is similarly flexible. And then you'll have a cost advantage soon in The Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Switzerland as you'll easily reach the price per day of a pass with trips that aren't necessarily very long.

So it really depends what kind of traveller you are. I tend to prefer one place to stay and making round trips from there, making it even simpler to save money with a pass. Especially while in both my Interrail holidays I departed home with a plan, but ended up following a different plan after arrival in my hotel (Sometimes as simple as swapping travel days due to weather, but that's also a form of flexibility you don't have with advance singles)

peterblue

With the full price Interrail pass, you may have to check more carefully if it represents the best value for money versus advances or regional tickets.

Of course, Interrail also has the convenience factor of not having to make multiple bookings, being able to freely change plans, etc.

Eurostar reservations are 30e each way. so depending where you start/end your trip, it is often more practical to fly.

dutchflyer

Established Member
IF you mainly plan INTERnational trips, doing a lot of countries, you cannot beat this price.
For mostly In a certain country there may-or may not-or may only be summertime- cheaper alternatives.
Having had a terrific buy myself in that 50-yrs-> 50% off sale last year- 3 month (my last paper pass) last autumn and another 2-month (my first and not the last as I found it very easy to use) mobile pass this spring.
Right now near Gdansk/PL airpt, after the end of 3-days RegioKarnet on slow trains in PL only for just under 90PLN, 20€- just an example of how cheap it can sometimes be done-but do not expect much luxury for that!
As such prices for IR have only slowly been risen in line with inflation the last years. You Brits may-or may not- sometimes gain a little by a higher GBP, but its rate vs € swings all the time.

DeverseSam

The prices of these are now quite high really, the cheapest for 4 days in 1 month still works out at £51 per day with Eurostar supplements on top.
long journeys would have to be completed in certain countries for this to be economical, once you get further East you would be hard pressed to
spend these amounts, the cheapest is a 1 month £18.56 per day
The trust pilot sites largely agree with you. However there is great value to be had if you travel in Western Europe excluding Spain

CS2447

10% or maybe 15% off promotion may come along soon?
When I looked at KLM to get over there
Very few were with Thalys to Brux
They seem to be channeling people via
SNCF Paris?
I wonder if KLM are are offering less Thalys options.
I'd be tempted to use 15 days over 2 months next year and get over via KLM & Thalys to Brux .

peteb

Definitely worth keeping an eye out for promotions, as usually you have plenty of time to use a ticket bought with a discount. The 50% off of 2022 was great value as I used the 3 month ticket this year.

mtmikethom

Definitely worth keeping an eye out for promotions, as usually you have plenty of time to use a ticket bought with a discount. The 50% off of 2022 was great value as I used the 3 month ticket this year.
This was last autumn/winter
  • Winter sale
    • Discount: 10%
    • Duration: 22.12.22-05.01.2023
    • Availability: All passes except some One Country Passes (e.g. Switzerland)
  • Black Friday sale
    • Discount: 20%
    • Duration: 24.11.2022-29.11.2022
    • Availability: continuous passes - 15 days, 22 days, 1 month
    • Restrictions: must start traveling by 1st May 2023

• Winter sale
  • Black Friday sale

There have been previous Black Friday & Winter sales the discount & availability of them has varied

peteb

• Winter sale
  • Black Friday sale

There have been previous Black Friday & Winter sales the discount & availability of them has varied
I think the 50% off deal was limited to April 2022 as I had to start my 3 month ticket on 8/04/2023, i.e within 12 months of purchasing it. This was a special offer for inter-rail's anniversary. Saved me several hundred £££!

rvdborgt

I think the 50% off deal was limited to April 2022 as I had to start my 3 month ticket on 8/04/2023, i.e within 12 months of purchasing it.
The 50% off offer was limited to one week (or was it only 5 days?) at the beginning of May. Activation is always no later than 11 months after purchase (except where specified otherwise), so you bought it on 8 May. (I bought 2 passes but in hindsight should have bought 3 or 4...)

peteb

The 50% off offer was limited to one week (or was it only 5 days?) at the beginning of May. Activation is always no later than 11 months after purchase (except where specified otherwise), so you bought it on 8 May. (I bought 2 passes but in hindsight should have bought 3 or 4...)
You are correct.....that's why it had to start in April 2023, but we had an excellent 3 months making full use of the longer daylight hours!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Just done some calculations.

In 1991 I did a month’s inter railing. Back then the option (singular) was a month for £179. The equivalent now for someone under 27 is a Global pass for a month at €528.

Applying RPI inflation and today‘s exchange rate, £179 in Summer 1991 money comes to €582.

So today’s under 27s have themselves a bargain.

plugwash

Established Member
AIUI interrail passes also have no peak restrictions, which is handy if you want to get away from Manchester early in the morning at the start of your trip.

deltic

Established Member
@dutchflyer - may have just missed you - presently in Gdansk using a 7 day in a month interrail pass. Last year I got a month pass and its flexibility was its key advantage. This year flexibility was again key as I could reroute from Paris to Italy via Zurich at the last minute and avoid paying the very high fares being charged. I have used it to travel long distances this year that would have been expensive and time consuming to book as individual trips.

ivanhoe

I’ve just returned from a quick sojourn to Marseille, La Spezia and Nice using a 4 travel day Global Pass. As i qualified for a Senior Pass, I bought a first class Interrail Pass at £258. The additional reservation costs were
Eurostar going out 32euro, Lille to Marseille 10 euro, Nice to Paris, 10 euro and Eurostar return 38 euro (premium economy). Therefore total costs were £333 . I had two travel days using regional trains which had zero supplement. I reckon it was a good deal. Interrail is not aimed at those who want point to point travelling. It’s more of an experience. Incidentally, I first interrailed in1972 at a cost of £27.50 plus ferry costs. One whole month! Now, that was a great deal.

On Moderation
I’ve recently bought a 7-day first class global Interrail - cost ~£390.

A 7-day first class UK all line costs £866.

Over £450 more for a lot, lot less.

peteb

I’ve recently bought a 7-day first class global Interrail - cost ~£390.

A 7-day first class UK all line costs £866.

Over £450 more for a lot, lot less.
It would be cheaper to buy that and use for a peak service 1st class to London and return from several places in the UK!!

EG Glasgow Central to Euston return using two first class anytime singles is £516!!

peterblue

It would be cheaper to buy that and use for a peak service 1st class to London and return from several places in the UK!!

EG Glasgow Central to Euston return using two first class anytime singles is £516!!

You *technically* only get 2 days of validity in your home country (if you are a UK citizen) with Interrail Global Passes. The intention is to use it to get to an airport/port. However, with those 2 days you have a good amount of freedom to do what you wish. As you can imagine, there are a lot of places that have airports, eg Inverness, Newquay :)

dutchflyer

Established Member
You could be asked for proof of onward travel. There are no international flights from Newquay
As I quite intensely follow all news/reports etc-also from the ´official' forum they run (as does Rian v.d. Borgt, THE Belgian expert on it and all INTErn. fare-errors), reports on asking for such ´proofs'is only reported from UK. Probably also to do with the intense fear there seems to reign there about fare-evasion and the gross difference (as shown about in 7-d IR vs. 7-d Network GB) in fare levels. So a LOndoner going to Cornwall to ´exit´ UK for the continent does indeed seem a bit odd. But then obviously the most natural way for us on the continent is to simply board a train going over the border-usually plenty to choose from.
About these discounts: as reported most often 2, sometimes 3/yr for 10, not so much anymore 15%, with still full yr to use. OR if higher discount-20%-then only valid in slow season=winter half year. In the distant past they often did larger discounts for winter season only passes.
But the old style young teeners rambling along to see as much as can do countries on the EUR continent also seems to have given way to seniors with too much money and time on hand to do-well,exactly the same!
BTW-the much bigger discount in prices has been offered to NON-EUR people, who had to use EUrail (mistakenly quite a few Brits now seem to think they also belong to that category) which was-after the student yrs had passed was only 1st class and way more expensive as IR. That was when both schemes were merged to what is in fact the very same pricing chart. But with EUrail -most often sold in packages by far away travel -agents then, much more special offers or comboś with other touristic offers was in place. PLUS the chance to make commission-money on selling a few to younger students when in uni in the US after you had done your won stint.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You could be asked for proof of onward travel. There are no international flights from Newquay
There's nothing in the Interrail conditions of carriage which entitles staff to require any proof of your intention to travel onwards - nor is it a requirement for you to actually travel onwards (how could it be!). The requirement is purely that travel must be to or from a port or airport.

You could, in any event, be intending to buy a ticket when you get there - or have thrown your ticket away if travelling from a port or airport.

In short, it's a restriction that's almost completely unenforceable.

rvdborgt

There's nothing in the Interrail conditions of carriage which entitles staff to require any proof of your intention to travel onwards - nor is it a requirement for you to actually travel onwards (how could it be!). The requirement is purely that travel must be to or from a port or airport.
In addition, there is no requirement to travel via the shortest or fastest route.

Status
Not open for further replies.