• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interrail reservations on Avanti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have friend using an Interrail pass to travel from Finland to the UK. They are visiting me on Friday.

To travel from Euston to Crewe on Avanti, Interrail are saying she needs to purchase a seat reservation for 6 euro. I was under the impression pretty much all National Rail services can be used with an Interrail pass and there are not mandatory reservations in any case on UK trains.

Can somebody clarify what the situation is here please.

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The timetable is set to require reservations, but they aren't actually required. It's like that so Avanti can individually open/close trains for sale.

Furthermore UK seat reservations are free from any booking office. If InterRail are charging EUR/GBP6 they're onto a profit!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Furthermore UK seat reservations are free from any booking office.
Or from the My Account section of the GWR website, although this doesn't have any sort of seat selector and sometimes issues reservations in one of the Standard Premium coaches!

If InterRail are charging EUR/GBP6 they're onto a profit!
They charge such fees for all reservations made through their online portal - they must be making quite a tidy profit from them!

The timetable is set to require reservations, but they aren't actually required. It's like that so Avanti can individually open/close trains for sale.

Furthermore UK seat reservations are free from any booking office. If InterRail are charging EUR/GBP6 they're onto a profit!
Exactly! I thought it was an absolute nonsense. I have made a reservation for her through Avanti twitter.

Thanks for your comment

Status
Not open for further replies.